“A Great Value And A Great Motel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni Royal Crescent Hotel

Omni Royal Crescent Hotel
Ranked #68 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
New York
“A Great Value And A Great Motel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2009

Stayed 3 nights and found this motel the best. Room was clean,staff was very friendly and always helpful. Would stay here again if I ever return to New Orleans.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2009
Thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in New Orleans. If there is anything we can do for you during your next stay, please let us know.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Omni Royal Crescent on March 15th for 3 nights. We have traveled to New Orleanns several times in the last 7 months , as our daughter attends college there, and have tried different hotels each time trying to find the perfect one. The Royal Crescent did it for us.

Check in was incredibly fast, and we were shown to a room within minutes of walking through the front door. This despite the fact we arrived at the hotel hours before checkin. The woman who checked us in was extremely friendly and stayed so each time we saw her. I wish I was sure of her name ...I think it was Arika Reed but am not sure. She was great. Called after we had been in the rooom for a few mintues to be sure all was OK.

The room was great. We had requested a room with two double beds. The room we were given had 2 king beds, a large marble bathroom with jacuzzi tub and a 2nd marble bathroom wtih a glass shower. We had a nice flatscreen TV, plenty of extra large, thick bath towels, great bathrobes and really nice bath products. There was an abundance of hot water whenever we needed it and we took advantage of the jacuzzi tub. The room was spotless and was cleaned beautifully each day. How clean a room is is very important to me...this room was squeaky clean and seemed recently updated. The beds were comfortable and the bed linens were of good quality. The rooms are not huge, but cozy and with everything you need to be extremely comfotable. I loved the high ceilings in the rooms.

We used the roman style hot tub on the 6th floor patio one day and it was very nice and relaxing. We had it to ourselves on a drizzly, cool afternoon and it was beautiful out there..nice plants and a fountain. Loved it. Did not use any of the fitness equipment.

Did not try the on site restaurant, which is a gourmet burger joint called Dress It, but it smelled wonderful in there and we will check it out on our next trip. We did have room service bring us a pot of coffee and cream one morning. We were not charged for this which was a nice surprise...I think because we had signed up for the Omni select guest program, which is free, This also
provided us with free wireless which worked well.

We loved the location in the warehouse/arts district. It is only a few mins walk to the french quarter, and we spent alot of time there, but we also spent alot of time exploring the area and eateries around the hotel....there is a cool vibe in this area and I really loved it.

Lastly, the people who work at the hotel were all friendly and efficient. The service was that of a 5 star hotel. I look forward t our next trip and a chance to stay at the Royal Crescent again. Kudos to the hotel for getting it all right.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank raymonk
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2009
Thank you for letting us and other TripAdvisor readers we got it all right. We strive to receive reviews like this one, and we really appreciate you taking the time to write about all aspects of the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again next time you come to visit your daughter.
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the Omni Royal Crescent. It's located just a block or so off Canal Street, which makes it very convenient to the French Quarter, as well to the Warehouse District and its great restaurants, the casino, the convention center, and the streetcars. The king room we had was quite luxurious, with a wonderfully comfortable bed and full marble bath. Staff was friendly and welcoming. A couple of negatives: one day, we did not have room service until after 5:00--and we had to ask the chambermaid to clean the room. But that might have been an unexpected staffing problem or something beyond one's control. I was not too impressed with the breakfast in the restaurant (typically overpriced continental breakfast). I did not have any other meals there, as it was always empty and dining well is one of the reasons one goes to NO. This was an elegant, comfortable, reasonably priced hotel and I recommend it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2009
Thanks for choosing to stay with us on your last trip to New Orleans. We apologize for the late room service. We certainly don't want you to have to ask for service, but we're glad that the staff was friendly and welcoming. There are so many great restaurants in New Orleans to check out. We definitely understand wanting to explore options. We hope you will come stay with us again next time you are in New Orleans.
hamilton, on
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2009

The room was nice, the bed and pillows comfy. Large plasma tv with plenty of stations. Big bathroom, shower only. Hot water very limited and took over 5mins to warm up. Not sure if it was because the hotel was full or if this is normal. Location was nice as we were there the Sunday before Fat Tuesday, so it was 2 blocks away from Canal St. and not as noisey. Still close to everything. Went for breakfast in the morning and was a little disappointed in the buffet and my friend was not pleased with their made to order egg sandwhich. Would not eat there again but it was convinent for us as we were waiting for our airport shuttle. Staff in lobby and resturant were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel. The water issue is most likely due to higher occupancies this time of year, but we have alerted our engineering staff to the issue. We are glad you enjoyed the location and proximity to the French Quarter without the noise. Please come visit us again next time you are in New Orleans.
Tallahassee, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2009

I thought the Omni was a wonderful hotel! It was very clean and the staff was accomodating and nice. We were a little worried at first when we couldn't figure out where to park, but we just pulled to the side of the street and went in to ask. Check-in was a breeze and again, the front desk staff was very nice. Yes, the rooms are a tad small, but why are you spending a lot of time in your room?? The bed was extremely comfortable and I loved how clean everything was. Cleanliness is one of the most important things for me - I want to feel like I can walk around barefoot in the room and not get grossed out. This hotel definitely passed the test. We did not try to use the downstairs restaurant so I can't comment on the food. I loved the turn-down service they offered - when we got home from Bourbon street, the lights were turned low, the sheets turned down and a chocolate on the pillow. Nice touch!

My only complaint is that the water temperature in the shower was only luke-warm - I mean, it barely got warm. So that was disappointing, but I didn't bother to mention it because what difference would it have made since we were only staying one night? We called around 3:30 a.m. and asked for a late checkout, which we recieved. Then when we checked out we wanted to go get something to eat and the front desk was very accomodating on keeping our luggage and holding onto the car for us until we got back. The hotel is within walking distance of everything you would want to do - the Superdome and the French Quarter. There is no need to use your car once you get to the hotel. However, you are far enough off the beaten track that you don't hear outside noise! The doors/walls were a tad thin and in the morning I could hear people talking in the halls and outside our window. But it is not located on a "party" street so you won't be kept up all night by any noise.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Liked — Cleanliness, friendliness, and location
  • Disliked — Hot water wasn't working well
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and post photos. We are glad you like the rooms. We are sorry the shower temperature was not warmer, but please know this is not a recurring issue. Our location is definitely close enough to the party, but far enough away that you can get a good night sleep. We look forward to seeing you again at the hotel.
The Sandhills, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2008

I was a bit worried checking in to this hotel after reading the other reviews. Ended up choosing this over others because of the low rate they were offering at the time and the location. (People should not complain too much if they are paying with a low rate but that's not the point of this review. ) I was ready to be disappointed yet I ended up enjoying my stay here. I joined the hotel membership program prior to reservations and I was definitely welcomed. They even have a sweet turndown service and beverages brought to your room in the morning at the time you specified. It was quiet the whole time I was there. The room was a bit small but it was modern. Good workspace and a place to relax. I wish there were more TV/cable channels to choose from. The breakfast buffet was impressive. And the location is excellent, a block or two from the best restaurants in the city and close to the French Quarter.

There were some minor issues like empty small liquor bottle in the trash can under the work desk. When I brought it up to their attention, they offered another room right away, I asked to stay in the same room if they would only remove the trash which they did right away. Friendly staff.

The hotel has a lot of possibilities, they just need to be more thorough in doing things. I enjoyed my stay here and would definitely stay here again in the future.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room was on the small side
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2009
Thanks for taking time to review the Omni Royal Crescent. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again in New Orleans.
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2008

If this hotel were billing itself as the equivalent of a Hampton Inn or Quality or something similar, I would give it a good rating. However, this property has no business selling itself as a luxury hotel.

The location is great, let's say that. It's on quiet side street across from the Swedish embassy (yes, really). It's a block from the St. Charles streetcar, two blocks from Canal and right off Magazine St. It's a quick walk to the French Quarter or Riverwalk. The building itself is a lovely older structure.

The room was impeccably clean, but tiny. The decor was nice enough, but unremarkable. It wasn't luxury by any means, nor was it up to the standards of, say, Loews. It was about what one would find at the Marriott or a nicer Comfort Inn.

The health club is a lot worse than what one would find at the Marriott, too. It's almost impossible to find, hidden away behind a door at the end of a hallway on the sixth floor at the end of the rooftop deck. It's advertised as being 24 hours, but when I visited at 5 at night, it was completely dark and desolate--not an attendant anywhere in sight; not even a light on. It didn't seem like a safe place to be alone. Considering they had a grand total of FOUR machines, I guess it wasn't much of a loss. Oh, and that pretty pool, which looks so nice on the hotel's website? It's the width of a single lap lane and about eight feet long. I suppose if you had children you could let them wade but I'm not sure how they can claim this as an actual pool.

Then we get to the part where Omni acted like a real low-budget operation: when the clerk attempted to bill my credit card for $125 more than the cost of my stay. When I asked what was going on and the credit card company kicked it back, I was told it was a credit for "incidentals" that might be run up in the hotel. The charge was NEVER mentioned to me beforehand--not during the booking process, not on Omni's confirmation email to me, not when I was standing in front of the clerk in the lobby, and not on the itemized invoice that I had signed. They also claimed the charge was $50/night...I'm not sure how that worked out to $125 for two nights, but maybe I'm the one with the fuzzy math. I guess Omni just decided to run a random unauthorized charge and then expected me not to notice? I've stayed in hotels all over the world, including some very exclusive properties, and nobody has ever done anything similar.

The clerk claimed that "any hotel in New Orleans" would levy the same charges, which simply isn't true. When I mentioned that I'd stayed in the city before, including the Pontchartrain (my NO hotel of choice before it closed), he insisted I must have paid cash at the other hotels. When I told him I had not, he quickly amended his statement to say "it's an Omni policy." If this is truly the case, and it was not simply blatant discrimination on the part of the clerks against a guest who did not appear to be "upscale," then Omni needs to actually MENTION IT at some point during the booking process or check-in. It sort of boggles the mind that they itemized the .75 cents for newspaper delivery and somehow forgot this one.

I made it clear to the clerks I would not authorize anything above or beyond the cost of my room, and I finally settled the matter, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I think I could have stayed at the Holiday Inn and had a comparable time. And wow, do I miss the Pontchartrain.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank anonymousreviewer10
We are sorry that you did not a have a good experience at the hotel. We can’t speak to the policies of other hotels in New Orleans, but when a guest checks in we pre-authorize the guest’s credit card for $50 per day to cover potential incidentals. Guests paying with cash are required to provide $50 per day as a hold on potential incidentals. Upon check-out, the credit card is only authorized for the actual incidental charges, if any or if cash was deposited, the difference is returned. We are sorry that this was not clearly explained to you during your stay or during your reservation process. We are working to make this information more visible to guests so this does not happen again. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future to give us a chance to win you over.