“Boutique Value Ideal for Business or Pleasure”

Omni Royal Crescent Hotel
Ranked #74 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Philadelphia, PA
“Boutique Value Ideal for Business or Pleasure”
Reviewed 1 March 2010

This was my 5th trip to New Orleans for either business or pleasure and my first stay at the Omni Royal Crescent. If I had to return to New Orleans I would stay here in a heartbeat. First, I think I got the best pricing of any traveler for a king size room…well below $100/night…it was a momentary blip on their pricing radar screen as even the staff was amazed at the rate…but the price only made a great hotel even that much better. The staff was amazingly friendly, helpful and courteous…always with a smile. Because of the great rates, especially compared to those of the convention I was attending, my entire office booked there and the management went above and beyond to assist our group. When our team leader sent flowers to one of our office members ahead of time to congratulate him on a job well done, the staff rejected the order when delivered because the flowers were sub-par/drooping and arranged to have a new order placed…now that’s attention to detail.

The rooms ranged from compact to really big. While I had one of the compact rooms, it was large enough to have decent walking space around the king bed and the extra high ceilings added to the comfort. While I have read some reviews about street noise, I did not have all that much and I was on the second floor…I think the rooms on Camp St. may get it worse than the ones on Gravier St. The bathroom was a decent size and adequate but I did have one of the remaining rooms with the half glass shower door. Having lived in Europe for a number of years, I became adept at managing to shower with this type of arrangement so it was not a problem but if you’ve never dealt with these before it can be tricky especially since the shower head has limited range of motion. The only complaints, if that’s what they are, is that the bathroom tub was a little damaged on the porcelain and the toilet has an infrequent yet annoying habit of flushing itself/running periodically.

The best deal is joining the FREE Omni club for the beverage service and free wi-fi…a stellar value for 3 minutes of signing up time. Beware, the beverage delivery folks may not always knock and let you know it’s waiting outside so you may need to check. While I did not use the gym, I did check it out and it looked basic but the pool area is more of a glorified hot tub. I guess it serves a purpose for cooling off rather than doing laps. The best deal was the continental breakfast…which we were expecting to be boring but had a good array of meats, dairy, carbs and lots of “take with” items like breakfast bars, apples, etc.

The location is ideal…tucked on a side street close to the French Quarter but far enough away from the insanity. The location was great for the convention center…a healthy 10-15 minute walk but even better for the French Quarter, post-convention activities which started only 2 blocks away.

I would stay at the Omni Royal Crescent anytime!

1 Thank Peaceful_Rhino
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2010
We'd love to have you back anytime. Thanks again for spreading the word to your coworkers and all choosing to stay with us. Please contact us directly before your next stay if you have any special needs for a large group. We look forward to seeing you next time you're in New Orleans.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kentucky
Reviewed 24 February 2010

I stayed at the Omni Royal Crescent during Mardi Gras and had an excellent experience. I have stayed at many hotels in New Orleans for Mardi Gras and they were tops. I booked 3 rooms all under my name for all my friends and everything went perfectly. The front desk was very friendly during check-in and made everything super easy. The bathrooms are very lovely with all marble and the rooms are very clean. The housekeeping staff did a wonderful job keeping the place clean and that can be a challenge during Mardi Gras. The rooms are rather small, but that can be very expected in New Orleans with such an old city. It was very nice to have a safe in the room that was super simple to use and it was an extremely quiet hotel for Mardi Gras even though it was fully occupied. The hotel had very nice details in the rooms without much fuss. Great job to the entire staff. I hope to return next year too.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank lotsofNOLAtrips
Belgium
Reviewed 24 February 2010

I stayed at the Omni Royal Crescent Hotel for a conference. I found it after research on expedia and tripadvisor. The hotel has a great location and is likely the best price/value deal downtown. It is close to major conference venues and good restautants. However what the hotel offers doesn't look cheap either, as it has hints of up-market feel. My room was quite stately with a great bed and elegant interior decoration. For example, the bathroom was done in marble. The hotel is ranked 3 1/2 stars but it feels like a solid 4 stars. The only weakness is that breakfast is not included. Also the instructions regarding free WIFI need to be clearer vis-a-vis your registration on the Select Guest program. But on the whole this hotel is a great find and stay. Would definitely used it again if back in New Orleans and would recommend it to friends. It is a classy place to stay at an affordable price for downtown New Orleans.

1 Thank Aristotelian
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2010
Thanks for choosing us as your home during your conference. We really appreciate you spreading the word about the hotel to friends. We will work on making the WiFi sign up clearer to guests. For those reading our response, we offer free in-room wireless when you sign up for our free Select Guest program which also includes morning beverage service and newspaper delivered to your door. Come back soon for business or for leisure. We look forward to seeing you.
London
Reviewed 23 February 2010

Stayed for four nights in a double bed room. Very nice room with excellent facilities for a hotel that is not a five star property. All in all I would say that the quality of the room compares to any good Hyatt/Fairmont hotel, but the hotel itself is 3 1/2 to 4 star simply because it does not offer things like shoeshine and extras like that. However, it did the job perfectly fine for us and it was actually incredible value for money. Very nice and clean marble bathroom with good amenities. Same applies to the bedroom. Very comfortable beds with goose down duvets and nice pillows. Very large flat-panel TV. Nice ambience.
Breakfast for USD10.95 was very good and covered all the basics for a buffet. Again, very good value for money.

All in all, this hotel ticked all the boxes for me. It has a good location and very good rooms. It really is a top pick in New Orleans since it is close to the French Quarter, but not in it (so you can get a good night rest), but it is likewise in easy reach to CBD. For the price you pay, it is stunning value for money.

2 Thank Critical_Mind
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2010
Thank you for staying with us and writing a review. It's great to hear that you think we are a good value and that you enjoyed all the amenities we offer. We don't offer as many amenities as the Omni Royal Orleans in the French Quarter, but for those looking for something smaller and close but not too close to the quarter we are in a great location. Please visit us again soon.
Crystal Beach, Florida
Reviewed 21 February 2010

We stayed the Omni Royal Crescent this past weekend. The Hotel and the staff were great. Great location everything was only a few blocks away. Everyone was very helpful.
The room was great.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Jacksonville Fl
Reviewed 2 February 2010

This is a beautiful facility. The rooms, lobby, resturant. They are cleanand well appointed. The staff here is top notch. They will take care of your needs with a friendly smile and a great attitude. Layla in the bar is a true gem. Great location. Close to everything yet still quiet and serene. The mattress was a bit rough.Big dip in the middle. It seemed more aged than the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2010
Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate the kind words and are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We're sorry the mattress was a bit rough. Our last complete renovation was only a couple years ago, but we will make sure to check the mattresses and replace any that are not up to our standards. If you have an uncomfortable mattress please call the front desk and we will do everything possible to accommodate a room change to make you as comfortable as possible. We hope you will stay with us next time you visit New Orleans.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 31 January 2010

I was traveling with friends who were staying at Harrah's. So I wanted something relatively close. Found a good deal on Hotel.com and was pleasantly surprised. The room was large, quiet and the location can't be beat. Just 2 blocks from the French Quarter and near many of the best restaurants in town. Just a few short blocks from the wonderful WW II museum. One block to catch the Magazine Street bus over to the lovely Garden District. Will definitely stay there in the future!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Thanks for choosing us. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.