“It was OK”

Ranked #92 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Las Vegas, Nevada
“It was OK”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My friend and I wanted to stay just outside of the French Quarter. It was our first time in NOLA. I found this hotel from a travel website. It seemed like it was a decent price and was in walking distance of the French Quarter and right off of Canal.

My friend had more of a problem with this hotel than I did, but she is also more picky than I am.

Pros:
*Location
*Free Coffee in the morning
*Thomas the best concierge EVER! Seriously, he knows what's up. He will tell you where to go and how to get there. He can also make sure that everything runs smoothly for your stay. He was the only person working the desk that was friendly and competent.
*It was relatively clean
*The a/c worked really well
*Free wifi

Cons:
*Upon arrival, my friend noticed that her comforter was dirty. We called down to have it changed the next day (we were too tired to care that first night).
*Our TV went out, mid-stay (It mattered to my friend, not to me)
*One morning it took over 1/2 hour to get our car
*I left on check out day to return the rental, while I was sleeping housekeeping tried to clean our room while my friend was still sleeping! Hello...Check out isn't until 11am (This happened at 8:30am...Then they tried again an hour later) Later that morning, around 10am, they tried to come in our room again! It was really annoying. They should probably wait until we actually check out to try and clean up.

Overall, it wasn't amazing, but our trip was. Besides, who goes to NOLA to spend their day in a hotel room? We didn't.

Location was good, sheets were clean (relatively).

I would recommend this hotel. It is fine for the money and like I said, the location is close enough to the French Quarter to walk. Save your money for FOOD!

Additional Tips:

*The breakfast spot next door is good, but get there early.
*Eat at Mother's (it's close by) and have the fried chicken. YUM!
*The Everything Store is around the corner...They literally have EVERYTHING.
*Parking is pricey $30/day. You don't need a rental unless you plan on venturing out to the swamps or plantations. We rented one for 2 of the 4 days. It was enough. Takes cabs or walk everywhere else.
*Don't walk down Canal at night, by yourself. Kinda sketchy. We did, but walked quickly. There are some questionable looking people, but we felt relatively safe.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank StacyR_FriasTM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Just stayed at the Pelham for the jazz fest...wow what great service and lovely room..stayed in the interior room best sleep ever... No noise, helpful staff and great bed...great restaurant breakfast next door..concierge was helpful..efficient housekeeping, high ceiling rooms and four poster bed.

Room Tip: Want peace and quiet...go interior
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Peter Y
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We have recently been across the USA on a family vacation.

Our younger son is anaphylactic so we are always nervous and cautious. Unfortunately in New Orleans there was a cross contamination and our son had a reaction in the middle of the night.

To our amazement the owner of the hotel got involved and and personally changed his bed providing fresh linen in the middle of the night. A wonderful touch.

Our experience, particularly with the front desk , the manager and owner was first class.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Robert H
Bogotá
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This hotel was wonderful for me. You could hear jazz music from the sidewalk as you approached. Has beautiful windows and really comfortable beds and comforters. The building is old but it's very well cared for and it gives it style. It's right by the French Quarter and Canal Street, which is where you can catch a street car to lots of other places in the city, so it couldn't have been better situated.

The best part of the stay was the staff. Everyone we encountered in the front desk was nice and helpful and helped us with every question we had about everything. Really, words can't quite explain how amazing everyone in the front desk was. Really loved it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Vivianne T
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Oh my. For a hotel so well rated, I was stunned. First all the parking is off the street, so you just have to trust that the guy you're giving your car keys to is with the hotel (we didn't and parked down the street then walked up to scope this sleazy place out.) When we came into the tiny lobby no one approached or welcomed us and the person behind the desk never even looked up. Feeling pretty bad about our decision my husband and I walked through the downstairs area and saw that all the bottom floor rooms had strangely reinforced doors. Plus there was a pervading patchouli scent which was super creepy. Well I know a mistake when make one so we walked out, paid the booking.com cancelation fee and ran to another safer cleaner hotel (hotel Monteleone). Save yourself the charges and find another hotel. And FYI being close to Canal street (it's dirty with vagrants) is not really a selling point... You can find someplace better.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Matt W
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

The Pelham was located one block from Canal street. You could walk everywhere yo wanted and also easy access to all street car lines. I was very happy because I went out later at night by myself and felt very secure walking around the neighborhood. A huge plus was having breakfast at the Ruby slipper that is attached to the hotel. Even though I had plans every day to go to a different place for breakfast it was scrapped because of the outstanding breakfast offered at the Ruby slipper. The Pelham was well worth the price we paid.

2 Thank Rufusleaky
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Choose this hotel after seeing Trip Advisor reviews through Booking.com and what a great find, On arrival unloaded my case and my car was taken to the car park, where it stayed until I left as with the hotel being so central I was able to walk everywhere. Troy greeted me like a long lost friend and put me straight as to all that was on offer in the way of tours and sites to see.
The room was adequate with a very comfortable King Bed and nice bathroom, but the only down side was it was an inside room so no natural light made it seem dim, Upside was no city noise. Would definitely stay here again if needing to be in Central New Orleans.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo