“the worst westin experience ever”

The Westin New Orleans Canal Place
Ranked #87 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I am platinum for life with starwood and have 100 nights in their hotels this year so I know what a hotel is supposed to be.

I was invited back to this hotel by the management to make up for the bad experience I suffered here in September.

I stayed here 5 nights and It was worse this time! There was a dog barking in the adjoining room! Security came up to verify that there was indeed a barking dog. In violation of Hotel rules ,the owners had not told the hotel of the dog or complied with the hotels rules to register the animal.

Not only did the hotel not stop the barking,they didnt even throw the people out of the hotel.

I got to spend 24 hours with a barking dog!.

I wouldnt stay in this hotel for free!

Room Tip: do not stay here !
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelLikeaStar
WestinCanalPlace, Public Relations Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the disturbances you experienced on your recent stay with us. We understand that our guests want to unwind and relax and we understand your disappointment by not being able to do. Your business and continued loyalty, as a Platinum Starwood Preferred Guest, are very important to us. We would like to do all we can to welcome you again in the future.

If you would like to discuss your concerns any further, please contact me at yourexperience@westinneworleans.com

David Rosenberg

Write a ReviewReviews (1,714)

Reviewed 10 December 2012

Do not go to this hotel until they replace their old elevators. They have replaced one, but on a recent stay at the hotel, the other three constantly malfunctioned (not stopping at floors to pick up passengers primarily). The elevator lobby would fill before an elevator would stop. Guests started getting on when one stopped without regard to the direction (if you wanted to go up, but the elevator that stopped was going down, then you'd get on, ride to the bottom and go back up; if you wanted to go down, you'd get on the one going up, ride to the top and then go down). Guests were in an uproar for the 3 days I was there!

Fitness center under renovation, so equipment was in a meeting room--no shower or other facilities.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

I am very sorry to hear about your recent experiences with our elevators. We are currently undergoing an elevator modernization project which will drastically improve their speed and consistency. We appreciate your patience during this time of progress.

Please allow us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 9 December 2012

I recently returned from New Orleans. We stayed at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place. I read all reviews prior to going so I new what to expect. I will say the elevators are slow and you have to go up to the 11th floor and cut across to get to another elevator. This was not so bad. The room was large with amazing views of the river as well as the casino and the french quarter. The bed was very comfy and warm. The carpet was a bit dirty but nothing terrible. We were greeted each time by the door man as well as the front desk and we were treated very well when we called the front desk. This hotel was close to everything but expect to walk as there are many sights to see. We did not eat at the restaurants because even the hole in the wall restaurants in New Orleans serve great food. Anywhere you go in the french quarter has AMAZING food. I love New Orleans. I would stay at the Westin again without a doubt.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

I am thrilled you enjoyed your recent stay at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place. I'm glad you enjoyed the stunning, river view, Heavenly Bed and close proximity to the sights and attractions of the city. I appreciate your compliments on our friendly and welcoming staff; I will pass on your kind words. Please accept my apologies on the elevators and carpets. These are two of the areas we are currently updating.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Reviewed 8 December 2012

Stayed at this hotel December 4-6 for a business conference. Upon pulling up to the property the customer service was put into full force. The valets are truly awesome. When I went out for a walk they gave me an umbrella to carry as rain seemed imminent.

The front desk staff was very accommodating changing my reservation from two doubles to a king since none of my other colleagues had checked in yet. The concierge was extremely helpful with putting together a self-guided walking tour that could be done in the 60 minutes of free time I had. She was also extremely helpful when I missed the bus for dinner by 2 minutes.

The room was clean with the exception of the coffee maker. The receptacle for water was really, really dirty. After running clean water through it 10 times I had to take a washcloth and scrub it out. Once it was finally sufficiently clean it made great coffee. The hotel has Starbucks coffee in the room as well as gourmet teas.

The down side of the in-room coffee service was paper cups that were not individually sealed thus germ-laden. The coffee stirrers were cleverly designed clear plastic sticks that looked like prisms however they were not sealed, either. Again, germ-laden. Housekeeping has to touch the inside of the cups, lids and the coffee stirrers in order to get them out of their carts and into the coffee stand. Ugh! Had to rinse out the cups with HOT, HOT water in order to feel slightly comfortable with using. Never used the coffee stirrers.

The shower was awesome with two shower heads for a relaxing hot shower. The toiletries were lovely. Towels were very clean. A nice, clean robe was included. The bed was very comfortable. Linens were plush and comfortable. Overall the room was very clean.

One small annoyance - no guide to the TV channels so you had to run through every channel to find the one you were searching for - over and over and over again. Similarly there was no guide to the hotel. Had to call service express to find out where the business center was, where the workout facility was, etc. Small annoyances yet annoying nonetheless.

My room was on the 18th floor overlooking the river. The sound of the train and ferry boats was not noticeable. The view was wonderful!

The elevators are sooooooo slow. I left my room at 4:50pm to be downstairs at the ground level for a 5:00pm bus to dinner and ended up missing the bus because I finally reached the front doors at 5:02pm. Reception is on the 11th floor, so you must take an elevator from your room level down to the 11th floor and then transfer to another elevator to go to the street level.

The elevators from the rooms down to the 11th floor take forever, despite the fact that there are 4 of them. You stand there waiting and waiting and you can hear the elevator but it takes at least 5-7 minutes for the door to finally open. Then you must take the second, equally slow, elevator to the street. Allow plenty of time.

The food in the restaurant was exceptional for hotel food. Really very good. The wait staff, like the other hotel staff, were all very attentive and accommodating.

Overall this hotel was very pleasing. Would definitely stay there again without hesitation. This hotel offers a lot of luxury for the price.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the river, the higher the floor the better the view however the elevat...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experiences at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place. We appreciate all of your detailed feedback. Thank you for your compliments on our front desk staff and servers in our restaurant. We're glad you enjoyed the Westin Heavenly Shower; a great way to unwind and refresh. Please accept our apologies on the annoyances you outlined. We understand your frustration and are working toward correcting these issues.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to New Orleans.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

I just came home from a wonderful week-long stay at the Westin in New Orleans (Canal Street) the last week of November 2012. What a delightful week -- truly !!!

I was there on business, pounding the pavement during the day and returning to an oasis in the evening. I am a frequent traveler and picky New Yorker, so when I say the Westin was great, I really mean it! Just can't wait till my next visit there!

I must start with the room -- unbelievably great room (with King bed) with a stunning picture-window view of the river. Huge room, with a terrific work desk and comfortable chair, necessary for my evening laptop work after those long days out-and-about. There were many drawers and storage space was great.

The bed and bedding were terrific -- so soft and comfortable that I quickly fell asleep at night. I generally need a very hard bed, and have one at home, but this bed just made you melt into it.

The bathroom was to die for -- and I am particularly picky about hotel bathrooms. A HUGE sink vanity, with soft lights to help me put on my "face" in the morning (and reassure me that I looked good); A double showerhead with warm streams of water jetting out; ample bathroom amenities, although I generally pack my own; and fresh towels always at the ready, set there by the terrific maid service. I would recommend a separate towel rack or hook, but I used the one behind the door and that worked perfectly fine for me.

The lobby area was a dream, nicely decorated for Christmas and with soft "live" piano music in the late afternoon, and with a gorgeous view out over the river and New Orleans. I never waited more than two minutes for an elevator (you have to push the buttons for BOTH elevators in order to ensure a speedy arrival) and I REALLY appreciated the security of having a separate elevator take you from the street level up to the 11th floor lobby and reception area.

The hotel staff was exceptionally helpful -- I used the concierge several times -- and room service was prompt and courteous, and the food was great, but then, it was New Orleans after all! I enjoyed the overall ambiance of the entire hotel experience.

The last time I was inspired to write a hotel review was over five years ago, when I stayed in the Hotel Luna on Capri. Thanks, Westin, for making my stay such a pleasant one!

Room Tip: I had a great king-size room overlooking the river -- very nice.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank TripMaven

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your week long stay at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place. It was our pleasure having you as our guest. As a frequent traveler, we appreciate your choice in hotels. We're glad you enjoyed our signature, Westin Heavenly Bed; after long days of pounding the pavement. Your kind words are nothing short of generous and complimentary. We can't wait to welcome you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

Our room was on the 28th floor and the views were amazing. The room was large with great amenities, and the bed was extremely comfortable. It would have been nice if internet/wifi were complimentary. The lobby was beautifully decorated for Christmas. The hotel staff were friendly. The location is perfect for visiting the French Quarter. Parking is very expensive in the city and the daily self parking rate at the Westin is $18....no in-out privileges. You have to pay for valet service if you want that. The hotel is currently undergoing some elevator renovations, but we were not too inconvenienced by this.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
WestinCanalPlace, Public Relations Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of your recent stay at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place. The views from many angles of the hotel are breathtaking, and we're glad you agree. We're also glad you enjoyed a relaxing nights sleep in the signature, Westin Heavenly Bed. Thank you for your compliments on our festive decorations. In addition, we appreciate your understanding of the updates currently underway. The modernization of our elevators will truly enhance the overall guest experience and we can't wait for your next visit!

Reviewed 2 December 2012

My husband and I stayed in a room with river views on the 16th floor on a Friday and Saturday night in late November/early December. After waiting over 10 minutes for an elevator we finally got up to our floor only to step off to a very odd smell. At first I thought it was cigarette smoke but I honestly couldn't tell you what it was. Once inside our room, we were greeted with yet another odd smell. The room was a bit warm and muggy so we dropped our bags and the thermostat then headed out to dinner. Again, we had a very long wait for the elevators. When we returned to our room later that evening, we found it a bit cooler but still muggy and with an odd (but not horrible) smell.
On our first night, we were woken up by a dog barking in a nearby room, an alarm that had been set by a previous guest that hadn't been turned off and several slamming doors. If you are a light sleeper the train and ship horns will likely wake you up as well.

After going out for most of the day Saturday we returned to find that we still had not had maid service at 4:00. Since we were hoping to relax a bit before dinner, we asked the maid to change out the towels instead of servicing the room when she finally knocked on our door.

Our second night of sleep was a bit better but it did get warm in the room. By the time we were checking out on Sunday, the room was so muggy that the receipts we had in the room were damp and my hair was frizzy. We tried to call down to the valet so we could have our car pulled around only to realize that neither phone in the room was working.

Pluses: Location, views, staff we encountered were friendly
Minuses: The room never did get cold...or even cool. The phone didn't work. Carpets in the hallways were dirty. Elevators were slow.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 225NOLA504

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of your recent stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed the stunning view and our friendly staff but do apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. We are currently undergoing and elevator modernization project which will drastically improve their speed and consistency. While we are making great progress, we're sorry for the delays. We are also replacing the carpets as well as undergoing other projects which will enhance the overall experience in the hotel. Additionally, I'm very sorry to hear about the issue with the thermostat. We have notified our engineering team and they are doing all they can to to fix this problem.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.