“Great location for exploring!”

The Westin New Orleans Canal Place
Ranked #80 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Chicago, Illinois
“Great location for exploring!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Location really is key with this property. A few blocks in one direction and you're in the French Quarter. A few blocks the other way and the CBD and Warehouse district beckon. You will be greeted with a warm welcome by a great bell staff the minute you step out of your cab.

The rooms are quiet and relatively large, but some of the furnishings are a bit worn, as are some of the public areas. A re-fresh of the elevators last year improved this somewhat.

The on-site restaurant is just ok which is a shame because the staff is generally good and the views unparalleled. Being in New Orleans, the standard is quite high for dining and the Westin falls a bit short here, but there are hundreds of options off-site for dining.

Location 5 stars
Quality of sleep 4.5 stars
Staff 5 stars
Facility 3.5 stars
Restaurant 3 stars

We've stayed here at least 5 times and the location and staff keep bringing us back.

Room Tip: A room on the French Quarter side will give you a panoramic view of the river as well as the Quarter...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at Westin New Orleans. We are glad you continue to enjoy our location, views, and service. On a note for improvement, I wanted to make you aware that I believe you will be pleased with several changes we are making in our restaurant and bar in August. We are enhancing both the physical environment and also the items and preparation of items on our menu as well.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Director of Hotel Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

The unusual:
--Check-in on the 11th floor takes some getting used to and can necessitate some extra schlepping of bags. But gorgeous view of the river from the large waiting area.
--Self-parking requires a seemingly endless, spiraling ascent through one of the tighter garages I've seen.
--Bell service was slow. We had to call front desk 30+ mins after checking in (45 after pulling up). Not up to the Starwood standard, and especially frustrating when the unusual check-in situation makes dealing with anything more than a bag or two impossible. Especially with tired, fussy kids who of course need random items from the bags that have still not arrived at 11:45 pm.
--No SPG floor/amenities, though room quality did not suffer.

The nice:
--Great location near the water, with the Quarter and streetcar within easy walking distance. Nice views from the rooms and the pool, since the hotel sits on top of the parking garage/mall and all rooms are relatively high up.
--Our adjoining rooms were clean and on the level I'd expect from a nicer Westin. 25th felt like a Starwood floor, even though it wasn't.
--Friendly and efficient service as I'd expect, with the exception of the bellman delays.

Overall, we'd stay here again.

Stayed June 2014
Good Day,

Thank you for sharing both the highlights and the opportunities that you experienced during your stay at Westin New Orleans. We have shared both with our team in order to reinforce the areas that we are doing well and to learn from the where we can do better.

We hope to see you again soon!

Signal Mountain, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Well my mom taught me if I was going to say something, say something nice. The Westin has a nice fitness area. OK, that is where it ends. While I had a large suite on the 28th floor, I found the rooms to be outdated, in need of some repair and deep cleaning and replacement of furniture. Sofa was stained and the coffee tables chipped. The bulb is the toilet area was out, as well as one of the bulbs in the bedroom. Small things that should be taken care of. While the room lacked, nothing prepared me for the food. My club sandwich from room service at lunch was disgusting. The fries were a greasy mess and puddled at the bottom. The sandwich tasted old. I only took a couple of bites. I called the front desk and complained and was told they were sorry and wanted to bring me another. NO!!! Be prepared for a lot of noise. People having parties, kids running down the hall and constant door slamming by the cleaning people made the quality of sleep painful. I struggle to understand why the cleaning staff has to continually go in and out of the room while cleaning. They put the metal bar that locks the door over and just go in and out and let the door slam each time. I finally had to go out and ask them to stop. I hope that they can turn this hotel around, not only for Westin, but for Starwood. They have a very week presence in NOLA. All of the hotels, including the W are outdated. I wish them luck.

Room Tip: My advice might be to find another hotel...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Greetings,

Thank you for sharing such valuable feedback regarding your recent experience. I have shared your detailed notes with our leadership team and we are working to improve based on each detail that you provided. I am certain that we will improve.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back in the future to prove this to you first hand.

LOS ANGELES
Reviewed 16 July 2014

What a treat to stay even only for two nights at the Westin. Everything was flawless from the check in where I was asked if I preferred city or river view without asking. A great touch. My room 2602 was really spacious with great beds, wonderful pillow selection, heavenly linens and the usual great bathroom amenities which smell so good. room and bathroom were spotless.
I ordered room service and was concerned at first by the limited options on the menu. But the order came very quickly and everything was just perfect. For a big hotel kitchen to be able to bring so much attention and care to simple fares is in itself something to be congratulate on. My simple grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup was ideal. The soup delicately spicy and extremely flavorful and light. The Cobb salad was chic: two big fresh wedges of lettuce and all the other ingredients obviously freshly prepared and not stalled like in some other places. And the fruit plate was another win: all the fruits sliced and fresh and tasty. It is rarely the case but here you could tell how the chef put a lot of his talent and schooling into making a simple but extremely good dish with pride.
I would like also to thank Carla from the Express service for being so nice. Check out very early on the 15th of July was a breeze and the front desk person was cheerful and gracious.
Hope to come back one day....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Good Day,

Thanks for taking the time to share your great experience with us! The team was overjoyed to hear that you had a great stay. From the comfort of your heavenly bed to the enjoyment of our local cuisine, your visit was exactly what we strive to deliver to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed at the Westin for a wedding in New Orleans. We were so pleased with the customer service of each and every hotel employee. They were quick to help, gave great information and delivered everything timely with a smile on their faces. Overall, best customer service we have ever experienced!!! Will stay again at this amazing hotel!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hi There!

Wow... we are delighted to hear that you had such a great experience with us at Westin New Orleans Canal Place! Our team was reading about your visit today and thrilled to know that they were able to provide "the best customer service ever experienced". That is quite an accomplishment!

I could see the energy levels rise in several of our associates while reading your comments and I cannot thank you enough for sharing this feedback with our team. Our team has been even more inspired to work diligently to deliver the same levels of satisfaction that you experienced to each guest that we welcome due to your insight.

We look forward to your next visit to NOLA!

South Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 July 2014

SPG Gold member, stayed for 2 nights in July.
Got a suite which was extremely large, a waste of space if you ask me. Front office reps were a bit sloppy, had to take our own luggage upstairs cos no bellman was available to help.
Location is perfect though, smack in the middle of the french quarter. Lovely view of the Mississippi river.
I'll stay again only cos of the location and I won't be disappointed this time cos I won't be expecting a warm Westin welcome.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Greetings,

Thank you for the feedback from your recent experience at Westin New Orleans Canal Place. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the views and location, but are certainly sorry that we did not provide a warm Westin welcome. However, we are going to use this valuable information that you have taken the time to provide in order to improve our guest services immediately.

I have shared your feedback with our Front Office and Bell teams and we are confident that we have made a few small tweaks that will have a large impact on your next visit. We can't wait to find out if we can truly deliver the exceptional experience our guests deserve when we see you next!

Venice, Florida
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I love this Westin. It's in a perfect location and has a great shopping mall on the lower levels. Hotel is spotless and room service was great! You can walk to great food/nightlife from this canal street location.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank susan B
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to share the amazing comments about your recent visit at Westin New Orleans Canal Place! "Spotless, great location, room service great" - those are a few of the staples that we strive to consistently deliver for each and every guest.

We are delighted that you had a great visit and we can't wait to welcome you back!