“Great Place to Stay. Highly Recommend”

Windsor Court Hotel
Ranked #7 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
New York City, New York
“Great Place to Stay. Highly Recommend”
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Not my first time at the Windsor Court Hotel, but have not stayed at the Windsor Court in a while (having stayed elsewhere since my last stay). I can't imagine why (except for price). Yes, the Windsor Court is expensive; however, it's well worth its price when you want to feel completely relaxed.

My room was incredible. Separate living area, small balcony, large bedroom, and big bathroom with separate room for sink and another separate changing room with another sink.

The club room (if you take the added splurge) is again well worth the expense. It offers a great series of sitting areas (inside and outside) overlooking the city and the Mississippi River. Plenty of snacks and drinks. On the weekend, eggs were made to order. All included in the price of the access to the club floor.

Room service was delicious (having ordered a soup and Caesar salad) and prompt.

Drinks in the Polo Lounge every night was elegant. The bar staff was amazing. The next night the staff immediately remembered all of our drinks which is the sign of an attentive and professional staff. People are a bit dressed up (not casual, no shorts and t shirts).

The fitness center is a bit small and lacking the necessary or expanded equipment. Overall decent, but considering the hotel is first rate with everything it does ... it could be better (what can I say they set the bar high for themselves).

The floral arrangements are stunning (this coming from a guy whose family owns and operates a garden center).

Staff is all accommodating and friendly.

Our first night had the hotel not have water available from 11:00 PM to 5:00 AM. I think the 11:00 PM shut off was a bit too early. I know these things can't be helped sometimes but it's inconvenient and surprising. Considering the price (which wasn't discounted off rooms) the hotel should offer a discount without having to be asked (which we did and received).

Some light construction started at 8:00 AM! That's a bit crazy considering New Orleans is NOT an early city. Everyone is generally passed out at that time and nursing a hang over later. Not sure how the hotel could justify banging on the walls at that hour. It wasn't full on constant construction but it still was something that jolted me the first morning.

Room service is the only thing which I really take issue. The rooms are immaculate; however, the staff will knock early in the morning to try and make your room (if no do not disturb sign is posted and then came back to some of our rooms but not others). With turn down service I turned away the housekeeper around 5:00 and she never came back. Same or the next day. I didn't think much of it but then another in my party said when the housekeeper walked in their room to do turn down service, they were told if they didn't get it done at that moment they were going home and not coming back to do it later. Understood but you're paying over 400.00 a night and I can't believe they just don't say ... if you still want turn down service call housekeeping later. I thought the comment was a bit out of line with how the hotel operates but the room service seems to be spotty.

We waited until after 4:30 PM on a Wed because housekeeping was not able to clean the rooms (we tried to check in at 2:00 PM). So there does seem to be issues with housekeeping but when they clean ... they clean and do a great job.

It seems to be a drawback but let me state the hotel is fantastic. It just stands out because the hotel is such a class act and stellar place.

I'm going back most likely this winter with my folks coming along, too.

Room Tip: A Mississippi River view is better than city view but not a deal breaker folks. The rooms with sepa...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
Dear mikedespo,

Thank you for selecting the Windsor Court for your most recent stay in New Orleans. I am delighted that you were overall pleased with your stay, and am glad that the accommodations, Club Lounge, Polo Club Lounge and staff all met or exceeded your expectations.

I apologize for the lapse in housekeeping and turn down service and will personally address this internally. Also, I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced relating to a water shutdown and construction. We are undergoing a restoration project and making every effort to minimize any disturbance to our guests.

We strive to provide the highest level of service and accommodations, and your feedback is a critical element in that process. We look forward to welcoming you back this winter with your family.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Finnish first
US
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I was so excited to stay at the Windsor Court again. Well, I could not have been more disappointed. Management informs you that the pool is being renovated when you make your reservation but does not tell you that massive construction will be going on to disrupt your stay with unbearable noise and that you may get in a room in such disrepair that it should not be utilized until it is renovated. The noise was unbearable beginning before 8 am and going throughout the day. The rooms were once great but it shocking how run down they have become. The carpet is stained, the furniture is in disrepair, the Tvs have built in VCRs with poor pictures and are able to receive few stations (e.g., CNN is not available), the water pressure is not good, the shower and toilet were not in good repair. The a/c was antiquated and did not adjust with the temperature. The mattress on the bed was actually very nice and the room size is as large as it always has been. The down button on the elevator was out. The hall had a terrible smell. Housekeeping service was inconsistent. The hotel also skimps on toiletries, choosing not to refill/provide new shampoo, etc during the stay. What is so sad is that the front desk staff seemed very uncaring and aloof when these problems were brought to its attention. I wished I had read Trip Advisor before my stay. Instead of just saying everything would be nice after renovation, it would be good if the hotel actually cared about its guests who are currently staying in the hotell now. This was such a gem of a property. I had no idea that management would have let the property get to where it is today. The Ritz is a much nicer property, and the W or newly renovated Hyatt are much better choices. Until the renovation is over and you are guaranteed in a renovated room with no noise, I would strongly recommend that you stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in a renovated room away from the construction or your stay will be horrible.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Dear HotelGuestTraveler,

Thank you for choosing the Windsor Court Hotel for your most recent stay. I sincerely apologize for your disappointment in the accommodations, as well as the disturbances and service inconsistencies you experienced.

As you know, we are undergoing a restoration project to update all of our guest rooms and public spaces. We are making every effort to minimize the effect of this project for our guests, and I am sorry that this negatively affected you. However, this does not excuse the lapse in service and I will personally address this with our staff.

I appreciate your comments and patronage, and hope that you decide to experience the Windsor Court again following the completion of the restoration.
North Conway, New Hampshire
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Four day trip to NOLA with five gilfriends. We took three full suites. The hotel lobby is gorgeous and the staff are truly helpful and attentive. I don't think I ever opened a door for myself. The full suites had a separate living room, bar area, balcony overlooking the city or the Mississippi, the bedrooms were spacious with comfortable queen beds, marble bathrooms with separate makeup and dressing room. We had cocktails in the bar each evening and it's dark and luxurious and the drinks were generous. The beds were heaven, truly one of the most comfortable I've slept in, including my own! There are renovations going on right now so the pool area was closed although they'll send you to the W or Loew's. The noise level of the construction didn't bother me but it irritated my friends in the other two rooms.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CaliforniaGirl500
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
Dear CaliforniaGirl500,

Thank you for selecting the Windsor Court for your most recent visit to New Orleans with your girlfriends. I am delighted to hear that you were pleased with the comfort of the suites, our staff and the Polo Club Lounge. We take pride in offering the highest level of accommodations and personalized service.

I apologize to your friends for the disturbance they encountered due to the renovations. We are making every attempt to minimize the interruption to our guests, and I am sorry that we were not successful in this endeavor.

It is wonderful to know that you would stay at the Windsor Court again. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in New Orleans.
Cleveland
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I recently stayed at the Windsor Court on business and it was fairly close to the convention center, and directly across the street from the casino. The rooms were a little bit outdated, but very spacious and clean. My hair dryer broke on the 2nd day, and the tv remote in the living room didn't work, but minor inconveniences that were easily overlooked. The staff were all friendly and welcoming, and we ate a nice breakfast in the restaurant on the premises. The only reason I gave this hotel a 3 rating is because of the annoying jackhammers and ongoing power tools throughout my stay. The first day I experienced it at noon, and again at 3pm- so I chose to relax by the pool instead (which was closed halfway during my stay for renovations).

The most disappointing day of my stay was the last day where I was actually able to sleep in, but was awoken by hammers right above my head at 8:30 in the am. I understand the hotel is under renovation, but I emailed the concierge ahead of time who explained that the only inconvenience would be the closed pool. I also called the front desk to complain about the hammers and they said they would try to do something about it, but it went on for at least another hour so needless to say, one cannot sleep through such a disturbance. I would not recommend staying at this hotel for a leisure vacation if you want to be interrupted by power tools during your stay. I'm sure everything will go back to normal after the renovations, but I don't think the Windsor Court should knowingly book rooms near the renovation process.

One other note is that when I was reviewing my bill, there was a $200 bar bill from the Polo Lounge. Seeing as though I never stepped foot in the place, the staff researched the issue and it turned out to be an error. I completely understand that mistakes happen, but just a reminder to all of those traveling to review your final bill carefully to make sure all of the charges are accurate.

2 Thank shamrockcb
Dear shamrockcb,

Thank you for selecting the Windsor Court on your most recent visit to New Orleans. I am pleased to hear that you found the accommodations suitable for your needs, and that the staff provided you with a welcoming stay.

I want to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered relating to the renovations. We are exerting our utmost effort to prevent the renovation process from disturbing our guests, and I am sorry that we did not adequately do this for your stay.

We strive to provide the highest level of service and accommodations, and appreciate your feedback on this matter. We hope that you choose to visit us to experience the restored Windsor Court on your next stay in New Orleans.
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Stayed here for a long weekend and were quite pleased with the hotel, it's staff and the service they provided. We had a refurbished suite so some of the comments about dated or worn rooms didn't apply. Will comment though that the refurb seemed inconsistent in some of it's execution. We did encounter some issues in service, however, where they occurred staff was unfailingly polite as they took our input and corrected them.Staff was helpful in helping us plan our activities and recommendations seemed thorough and complete. Pastries are to die for! Hotel Manager provided free champagne and card to help us celebrate (reason for trip) which was greatly appreciated. Afternoon tea service was very good (pastries again!). Grill Room dinner was good but not great.

Would definately stay again

• Stayed October 2011
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Dear Swmag,

Thank you for selecting the Windsor Court for your most recent stay in New Orleans. I am pleased to hear that, overall, you were satisfied with your stay and especially appreciate the praise for our staff. I apologize for the inconsistencies in service and will address these issues internally.

We aim to give our guests the highest level of service, and your feedback allows us to continually make improvements. Thank you for your patronage, and we hope you make the Windsor Court your hotel of choice whenever you are in New Orleans.
Malibu, California
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I passed by the striking motor court several years ago on my first visit to New Orleans and stopped in for breakfast. I knew this would be my choice on my next visit, which happened to be last week. My recent visit was in a refurbished room which was very comfortable and full of designer appointments. My wife and I thought their food was special for breakfast, afternoon tea, sunday jazz brunch, and dinner one night. If you are there in September through November, take in the wednesday night harvest event at a close by park. Irma Thomas was on stage that night. Thank goodness for Itunes. We ate at Commander's Palace, having been familiar with their Las Vegas location before it closed. The proprietor and her restaurant oozed that special something that New Orleans is famous for. Of course a generous pour of bourbon enhanced our experience.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear butravel,

Thank you for choosing the Windsor Court for your recent visit to New Orleans. I am delighted to hear that you were pleased with the accommodations, amenities and dining throughout your stay. We strive to provide the highest level of hospitality to our guests, and appreciate your positive feedback.

We hope that you will make the Windsor Court your hotel of choice whenever your travels bring you to New Orleans and look forward to seeing you soon.
chicago
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Very disappointed ...Hair dryer didnt work so they brought another and then when that didnt work it was determined that the outlets in bathroom area were not working. i was runnign very late and had to go down to fitness center to dry my hair. I was told I could change rooms - to come and get the key and move my bags. When I suggested they move my bags as I was already very late for a business dinner they looked at me like I was crazy. The next morning, in my new room, I was awoken by a jack hammer - they moved me right next to a construction area. And again the dryer didnt work and this room also had no working outlets in the bathroom - also makeup mirror hanging off the wall. The coffee maker also didnt wokr and had to be replaced. They finally fixed the outlet issue. Forgot turndown service last two nights so we didnt get clean coffee cups or other coffee items. the workout equipment is rundown and rusty. TV has only local channels and limited cable stations. Room decor very outdated For a hotel in this category it was very diappointing - especially the apparent lack of concern from the staff. no call from a manager to see if issues were resolved - not even a cookie!

1 Thank sherif_chicago
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
Dear sherif_chicago,

I offer my sincerest apologies for the inconsistent service and trouble with the accommodations that you received during your most recent visit. Please know that we are addressing the shortcomings of our rooms in our renovation process. However, this does not excuse the service lapses, and we want you to know that we are addressing these internally.

We continually strive to provide a high level of service, and want you to know that these issues are not our norm. We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to give you the service and experience you expect and deserve.