“An elegant oasis in New Orleans”

Windsor Court Hotel
Ranked #5 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Instead of the nearby conference hotels, we stayed in this wonderful boutique hotel. What a lucky choice!! You still have the conveniences of Canal St and it's an easy 10 min walk into the French Quarter. We had booked a double room and were upgraded into a suite, with large living room, small kitchen, dressing room with a vanity and a balcony overlooking the river in the distance. All of the staff members were so helpful; the doormen were friendly without making you feel you needed to tip them every minute. The concierge was very accomodating about offering directions, suggestions for breakfast off-site (the Ruby Slipper right around the corner) and he took care of Fed Ex-ing a package for me on Monday after I left NOLA. The lounge was filled with huge, comfortable couches and the server was very attentive and spot-on with wine recommendations. The lobby is huge and decorated with azaleas so perfect it was hard to believe they were real.
WIndsor Court is not any more expenisve that many of the big-name chain hotels. Abandon them and stay here!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank pete827
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2011

Dear pete827,

Thank you for selecting the Windsor Court for your most recent visit to New Orleans. I am delighted to hear you were pleased with the accommodations, service and value you received during your stay.

We strive to provide the highest level of personalized attention and Southern charm, and I am glad that you had a positive experience at our hotel.

I hope that you make the Windsor Court your hotel of choice whenever your travels bring you back to New Orleans.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,755)

Reviewed 3 November 2011

Put it on your bucket list. Seriously, this is easily the best hotel experience I’ve ever had. We stayed in a junior suite (renovated), which had a wet bar, sitting room with balcony overlooking the river, large bedroom with another huge window on the river, separate dressing area with vanity, and marble bathroom with a large shower and separate WC. Other amenities included two flat-screens with HDTV, and a Keurig coffeemaker. The room was stunning. Expensive? It’s on par with other quality hotels in NOLA, but there are three differences that were important to me.

First, the customer service is above and beyond. The concierge had booked a service for me, and there were a couple of glitches that were not in any way the fault of the hotel. However, the concierge not only comped the service, he sent a complimentary cheese and fruit tray to the room as an additional apology. (Thanks again, Adam!) Room service was prompt, the food arrived hot and delicious. Anything I requested (bucket of ice, extra creamer for my coffee, etc.) arrived with 10 minutes. These folks are serious about service.

Not only is there evening turndown (complete with either chocolate or pralines – yum!), but they fill your ice bucket and set out your slippers (provided compliments of the hotel) and your robe. The room was spotless when we arrived and housekeeping does a pretty good job. They do miss a spot here and there – I think our wet bar area went several days without being wiped down – but the bathroom is kept spotless and the towels replaced daily. The toiletries are top-notch spa quality, and while we did have to request refills when we ran out (as opposed to having housekeeping monitoring for that), when we did request they were replaced immediately and in double quantity.

The second thing that was important to me was proximity to the French Quarter. We stayed over Halloween, and while I wanted to be close enough to have fun, I also wanted to be far enough to have a retreat when I needed it. The Windsor Court is ideal in both respects. Just a block or so off Canal, it’s an easy walk to anywhere in the Quarter, and the nights were blessedly quiet (and that includes no noise from the air conditioner, which I used every night – I like my room cold). You will hear the whistle from the ships on the river and the occasional traffic noise, but I don’t think you’ll find a much quieter street than Gravier (that’s this close to the Quarter). Noise from other guests was minimal as well.

As for the construction, yes, it’s happening. But I worked in my hotel room every day until noon, and never once did the construction noise interfere with my concentration. Let me reiterate – I stayed on the 16th floor, and they’re working on floors 12-15 and on the pool, which was outside my balcony and down maybe 12 floors. Sure, I could hear it, but it’s just not that much noise (and anyway, who besides me is going to actually stay INSIDE their hotel rooms in the Big Easy?). I was up between 6 and 7 each morning and don’t remember them starting before 9 or so.

Finally, my favorite difference about the hotel wasn’t really one I was actively looking for; the folks here are not just interested in serving you, they’re interested in YOU. When I walk through the lobby, I say hi to Antonio the doorman/bellman, Adam at the concierge desk, Kyle behind the check-in desk…and they know my name. They know me well enough to laugh together, to ask how this or that restaurant or activity worked out. Sure, not everyone behind the desks is gregarious and vivacious…but they’re all friendly and polite and ready to help. And I’m not a business executive or a high roller, just a high school teacher from Washington State. They care about their customers here, and you just don’t find that much anymore. I can’t recommend this hotel highly enough. Try it and see.
I tried three times to post pictures but TA kept hanging up so I'm giving up. If you want to see photos, contact me through TA and I'll be happy to email them.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room/suite with a river view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank bettibiz
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2011

Dear bettibiz,

Thank you for selecting the Windsor Court for your most recent visit to New Orleans. We understand that you have a choice in hotels, especially when your husband's colleagues are staying elsewhere, and appreciate you spending your time with us.

I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay, and that the accommodations and location pleased you. I greatly value the kudos you gave to our staff - we pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service, and are glad that you experienced it. I will pass on your praise to Antonio, Adam and Kyle directly.

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding the renovation - we know that this was an initial concern of yours prior to the stay. We are doing our best to prevent it from disrupting our guest's experience.

We look forward to seeing you at the Windsor Court the next time your travels bring you to New Orleans.

Reviewed 3 November 2011

Having seen some reviews I was Sceptical about the rooms needing some refreshing but was assured by reservations ALL rooms have just been renovated. Well on arrival I have to say the entrance to the hotel is amazing, the lobby exudes charm (the art work AMAZING!). Well getting to my suite I found it to be fully renovated and beautiful! I stay at a lot of hotels and can tell the room was fully renovated! Very Nice! Last night I dined at the Grill restaurant and the meal was exquisite! Best Vrab Cakes and Gumbo in town!
Serice is excellent at the property is so charming - definately the place in New Orleans to stay if you want an AUTHENTIC experience coupled with an excellent service and hotel. Location is also great, right between the warehouse district and the happening burbon street and down town quarter of bars and restaurants and action...
I'll stay here again next time, that is certain!

Room Tip: The hotel has FREE WiFI with strong connection and HUGE rooms - makes for a big plus over other hote...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Dear Oliver J,

Thank you for selecting the Windsor Court Hotel for your most recent visit to New Orleans. We thoroughly enjoyed your company throughout the duration of your stay.

We are delighted to hear that you were pleased with the accommodations, service, location and The Grill Room. We strive to provide the best service and experience for our guests in all areas.

We hope you make the Windsor Court your hotel of choice in New Orleans, and we look forward to seeing you many times in the future.

Reviewed 2 November 2011

Made the grade on every level. Superb room, excellent service, delicious food. Only problem-wifi in my room was spotty

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

Dear Lawrence C,

Thank you for selecting the Windsor Court for your most recent stay in New Orleans. I am pleased to hear that you had a pleasurable stay and enjoyed the accommodations, service and cuisine.

I apologize for the slow internet and will research the issue with the wireless connection.

We strive to provide the best experience to our guests, and we value your feedback as this helps us continually improve. We hope that you will make the Windsor Court your hotel of choice whenever your travels bring you to New Orleans.

Reviewed 26 October 2011

My wife and I stayed here in October 2011. We had a 1 bderoom suite which had been recently remodeled. We requseted a remodeled room since some of the rooms have not been remodeled yet. They are in the process of updating all the rooms. If you make a reservation be sure to request a remodeled room. This is a first class hotel. It is not cheap but you get what you pay for and and it is worth every penny. One note,while in New Orleans we had a cab driver named Guru. He was super and took us to dinner every night. Safe and slow driver,clean cab,very nice. The doorman at the hotel knows him and can hook you up with him during your stay. If you have to get a cab request Guru.
The room service was fast and the food very good. Great bar upstairs-quiet with refined service. Hotel is very clean. The only thing I did not like was the parking charge of $30+ per day. With the price of the rooms I felt the parking charge was a little out of line.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room and specify away from the elevator on an upper floor. The higher up you can...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2011

Dear IRONMANTENNESSEE,

Thank you for selecting the Windsor Court for your most recent stay in New Orleans. I am delighted to hear that you were pleased with the accommodations, our in-room dining options and the Polo Club Lounge.

We strive to provide the best product and service to our guests, and I am pleased that you had a positive experience. Also, I appreciate your candid comments on the parking value - your feedback will continue to help us serve our guests better.

We hope that you will make the Windsor Court your hotel of choice whenever your travels bring you to New Orleans and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 21 October 2011

We always stay at the Windsor Court Hotel when in New Orleans. The Polo Lounge is the best lounge in the city. Many of the staff members have been there for many years and are on a first-name basis. It is truly like home away from home. Service is tops at the Windsor Court. I heartily recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JacksonTraveler59
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2011

Dear JacksonTraveler59,

Thank you for selecting the Windsor Court for your most recent stay in New Orleans. I am delighted to hear that you were pleased with our staff and the service they provide, as well as the Polo Club Lounge. We strive to create a personal, welcoming environment for our guests, and are glad that you had a positive experience.

We hope that you will make the Windsor Court your hotel of choice whenever your travels bring you to New Orleans and look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

Not my first time at the Windsor Court Hotel, but have not stayed at the Windsor Court in a while (having stayed elsewhere since my last stay). I can't imagine why (except for price). Yes, the Windsor Court is expensive; however, it's well worth its price when you want to feel completely relaxed.

My room was incredible. Separate living area, small balcony, large bedroom, and big bathroom with separate room for sink and another separate changing room with another sink.

The club room (if you take the added splurge) is again well worth the expense. It offers a great series of sitting areas (inside and outside) overlooking the city and the Mississippi River. Plenty of snacks and drinks. On the weekend, eggs were made to order. All included in the price of the access to the club floor.

Room service was delicious (having ordered a soup and Caesar salad) and prompt.

Drinks in the Polo Lounge every night was elegant. The bar staff was amazing. The next night the staff immediately remembered all of our drinks which is the sign of an attentive and professional staff. People are a bit dressed up (not casual, no shorts and t shirts).

The fitness center is a bit small and lacking the necessary or expanded equipment. Overall decent, but considering the hotel is first rate with everything it does ... it could be better (what can I say they set the bar high for themselves).

The floral arrangements are stunning (this coming from a guy whose family owns and operates a garden center).

Staff is all accommodating and friendly.

Our first night had the hotel not have water available from 11:00 PM to 5:00 AM. I think the 11:00 PM shut off was a bit too early. I know these things can't be helped sometimes but it's inconvenient and surprising. Considering the price (which wasn't discounted off rooms) the hotel should offer a discount without having to be asked (which we did and received).

Some light construction started at 8:00 AM! That's a bit crazy considering New Orleans is NOT an early city. Everyone is generally passed out at that time and nursing a hang over later. Not sure how the hotel could justify banging on the walls at that hour. It wasn't full on constant construction but it still was something that jolted me the first morning.

Room service is the only thing which I really take issue. The rooms are immaculate; however, the staff will knock early in the morning to try and make your room (if no do not disturb sign is posted and then came back to some of our rooms but not others). With turn down service I turned away the housekeeper around 5:00 and she never came back. Same or the next day. I didn't think much of it but then another in my party said when the housekeeper walked in their room to do turn down service, they were told if they didn't get it done at that moment they were going home and not coming back to do it later. Understood but you're paying over 400.00 a night and I can't believe they just don't say ... if you still want turn down service call housekeeping later. I thought the comment was a bit out of line with how the hotel operates but the room service seems to be spotty.

We waited until after 4:30 PM on a Wed because housekeeping was not able to clean the rooms (we tried to check in at 2:00 PM). So there does seem to be issues with housekeeping but when they clean ... they clean and do a great job.

It seems to be a drawback but let me state the hotel is fantastic. It just stands out because the hotel is such a class act and stellar place.

I'm going back most likely this winter with my folks coming along, too.

Room Tip: A Mississippi River view is better than city view but not a deal breaker folks. The rooms with sepa...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2011

Dear mikedespo,

Thank you for selecting the Windsor Court for your most recent stay in New Orleans. I am delighted that you were overall pleased with your stay, and am glad that the accommodations, Club Lounge, Polo Club Lounge and staff all met or exceeded your expectations.

I apologize for the lapse in housekeeping and turn down service and will personally address this internally. Also, I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced relating to a water shutdown and construction. We are undergoing a restoration project and making every effort to minimize any disturbance to our guests.

We strive to provide the highest level of service and accommodations, and your feedback is a critical element in that process. We look forward to welcoming you back this winter with your family.