“A new home in NOLA” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“A new home in NOLA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2012

For years I was in New Orleans frequently, often sharing the city with friends. I had a favorite hotel where I stayed. Everyone remembered me and treated me like family. After a long gap between visits, I found my favorite hotel dark and rebranded, the old charm and staff gone. I decided to try the Hotel Mazarin.

The decor is lovely and in keeping with the city's history... why would anyone go to NOLA and stay in a hotel that looks like it could be located anywhere?

Most of the staff is friendly and very accommodating. The lagniappe provided is just right .....in addition to in room coffee, there is bottled water, complimentary wireless, complimentary breakfast including hot items. The location is excellent for walking to all sorts of great dining and sightseeing. The suggestions for restaurants and sightseeing were excellent. Taking care of having a cab ready for our early morning departure was seamless.

There were a few negatives. Construction noise came at unwelcome times as did noise from the courtyard late at night. (Not uncommon where courtyards abound.) There was some noise from the street... a downside of the excellent location.

Would I stay there again? YES!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,139)
  • Hebrew first
Tucson, Arizona, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

Nice rooms very clean but best part was smiling helpful staff from check-in to check-out. Also thought complimentary water bottles a very nice touch. The breakfast buffet is great, good choices, wonderful fresh fruit, creamy grits and the best buffet scrambled eggs I've ever had. Also you can't beat the location. Right in the middle of the French Quarter. We definitely will come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on the back side if you don't want to hear Street noise. We each have ipho...
1 Thank jeannie h
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

First and foremost, the hotel is beautiful and very clean. Our room was very nice, the shower was beautiful and I really liked the floors in the room (nice not having carpet). Also, the breakfast was good. It was our first time in New Orleans and I was not sure where to stay. We stayed with family our other night in town, but wanted to experience the French Quarter so I selected this hotel.

We stayed on Sunday, December 9th for only one night. When we checked into the hotel the clerk said they had a few room options to choose from, both the clerk and one of the maids suggested we stay in room 418. The room was large, nice king size bed and window overlooking the front. But, I really wish they had told me how NOISY the room would be. I had NO SLEEP!!! I could hear outside noise, screaming loud men & women (sounded intoxicated from Bourban Street), cab drivers talking, garbage trucks early in the morning, etc. I understand I was staying close to Bourban Street, but I really don't think the staff should suggest those rooms unless they give "ear plugs" to handle the noise. Maybe they could add some type of "white noise" for that room. (note: I've stayed in other big cities where a "white noise" machine was in room and it helps).

Sadly, when I checked out I mentioned to the man at front desk how noisy the room was (note: when he asked me how was your nights stay) and he said ... "Oh, the guests that stayed in there the night before complained about noise too" .... I was surprised he didn't offer any compensation ... just that remark :-(.

I'm sure I will be back to visit New Orleans, my brother and his wife relocated to NOLA earlier this year - across the river in smaller town. I have other family members wanting to visit and this hotel is very nice and clean, but I would really appreciate the management recommending a room where you can get a good nights sleep!

Thanks and have a good day.

Room Tip: Please make sure you ask for a room away from the street! Don't stay on the street side unless...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

We loved everything from the moment we stepped through the doors until we left. We researched tons of hotels and liked The Mazarin because of it's location in the French Quarter, but it was the pictures of the rooms that sold us. i LOVED the black marble floors in the rooms. Extremely nice touch. The beds are so comfy with tons of pillows. The staff literally spoiled us. The courtyard is beautiful and it was lovely to sit and relax there after a long day of sightseeing and dining. In town from Baton Rouge, just a weekend getaway with my sister to shop, eat and play tourist. The Mazarin has spoiled me for other hotels. They really know how to raise the bar. I highly recommend The Mazarin and will be returning.

Room Tip: marble floors in all rooms, friendly, attentive staff, extremely clean, comfortable beds.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sue H
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful four nights at the Hotel Mazarin, and we would definitely stay here again. The room (a "deluxe" with one king bed) was spotless and a good size for the two of us; best of all, my husband, who has a bad back and can't sleep on a lot of hotel beds, found the mattress—soft on top but firm underneath—perfect for an excellent night's sleep. All of the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, and the complimentary breakfast was way better than the average motel breakfast (I had their delicious grits every single morning).

And the location was perfect for walking around the French Quarter, or getting the bus/streetcar to the Garden District. We even walked back and forth between the hotel and Frenchmen Street in the Marigny neighborhood, where we heard great music.

Really, can't recommend the hotel highly enough. We visited their sister hotel one street over, which has a much more modern look (and a tiny swimming pool), but liked the Mazarin much better.

1 Thank Susan C
TEXAS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

I cant compare the Mazarin to any other hotel in the area since it was my first trip to New Orleans. But I can say it was a lovely hotel. I stayed in room 304. It was larger than I expected since most older hotels have smaller rooms. It had french doors that opened up to a small balcony with no chairs but still it was nice to step out and see the street and all that goes on. I like the marble floors; it really made the room look expensive and the bedding was modern and clean. The bathroom was sexy with black marble throughout and a large shower with privacy glass on the front half of the length of the shower and open down the other half. I found the service to be excellent. I dont usually even notice the service at most hotels but the staff was very accomadating. The only warning I have is that in inclement weather they put a tarp over the courtyard. So if you are 3rd floor or above on those type of days, you will not see the court yard but a large white tarp.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KATINCIBOLO
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

This is my first time staying at Hotel Mazarin and I will definitely be coming back. The room was beautiful, the hotel staff was excellent and the location was great. I was traveling on business and decided that I did not want to stay in a chain hotel. Hotel Mazarin definitely lives up to all of the excellent reviews.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business