“Amazing hotel!”
Review of Hotel Mazarin

Hotel Mazarin
Ranked #7 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 26 March 2013

My fiancee and I stayed at the Hotel Mazarin for two nights in March to celebrate our anniversary. Before our trip, I looked at numerous hotel reviews on Tripadvisor and found that the Hotel Mazarin received good reviews. Now I know why. When we arrived, the front desk found out that we were celebrating an anniversary and upgraded us to an amazing room. The room was spotless, comfortable, and had an incredible view of the Quarter. I also had the occasion to see a more standard room when walking by one that was being cleaned, and they looked great as well.

Aside from the room, there were a number of other factors that make this property a wonderful place to stay. The hotel's courtyard is beautiful! It has a large fountain in the middle and the lighting at night is really nice. The hotel offers a GREAT breakfast which goes leaps and bounds beyond what you would generally expect out of a complementary hotel breakfast. Additionally, Bar Vin, which is attached to the hotel, is a classy wine bar that makes for a nice reprieve from the craziness of Bourbon Street and other areas of the Quarter.

Finally, the staff at Hotel Mazarin was terrific! Aside from recognizing our anniversary with an upgrade, they went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and provide us with recommendations for restaurants and bars in the area. We appreciated how genuine the staff was. The customer service did not feel fake or forced.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a clean and charming place to stay in the French Quarter. We will definitely be staying there again on our next trip to New Orleans!

Room Tip: I would imagine that rooms toward Royal Street may be a bit quieter; however, we stayed closer to Bo...

Reviewed 26 March 2013

Our experience was excellent. The room was great and the staff went out of their way to be of assistance. My husband is handicapped and their help was invaluable.

Order the appetizer tray from the bar. It was fabulous!

Room Tip: Request a corner room, they have an extra alcove
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Overall, I did enjoy my stay & think it is a great hotel in a great location in a great city. I had a terrific time, the room was very nice & the bed was really comfortable. Seriously - it was the first time I woke up without back pain since hurting my lower back a few months ago. The included breakfast had a plethora if items - loved the grits! The courtyard is really beautiful & peaceful & the room was large & well-furnished.

Just a few things that would have made it perfect:

I called wth a question before my arrival & the person answered the phone with "Bonjour." Ok, I get that it's a French theme in the French Quarter, but it struck me as a little pretentious since they are located in the U.S. But maybe some people like that kind of thing. I found the response to my (generic) question to be a bit snarky. I dismissed it, thinking maybe the person was having a bad day,

When I arrived, the person who checked me in was not friendly at all & seemed to get irritated when I wanted to pay for the room (with cash) at check in. I have done this at many hotels & never experienced that kind of reaction. He seemed to take forever with the check-in process & then wandered off to help some people find their car without me knowing if he was done with everything - he would not answer me when I asked twice "are we finished?" He only set my key card for one night - the next afternoon, tired from walking around all day, I couldn't get in my room & had to go downstairs to have the key re-set. The woman at the front desk at that time was the friendliest person I encountered, except for Soloman, who was *very friendly & helpful* in helping me book a swamp tour.

It would have been nice to have some explanation of where the ice machine was, the business center & fitness center, the pile of maps of the French Quarter, etc. I found all that stuff on my own by accident.

The bottles of water in the room were a nice touch, but it would have been nice to have a vending machine or somewhere that you could buy more. There wasn't anything in the room indicating room service was available from the adjoining restaurant, but the survey the hotel sent me after I checked out talked about it. I don't know if there actually was any or not. Maybe it was a generic hotel survey.

I only had housekeeping service one day (by choice), the room did not appear to have been dusted (was fairly dusty around the TV). I was in room 402, near the elevator & it got really noisy sometimes with people coming & going. Also did not expect the beautiful courtyard to be tented over/hidden from view.

I had written some postcards & one morning when I went down stairs looked for a drop box or place to mail them as many hotels have. I didn't see one, so I asked the person at the front desk if they could drop them in the mail for me. He looked at me like I just landed from outer space. I said, "They have stamps on them & everything" and he responded halfheartedly, "I guess I can."

One morning I was eating breakfast & got up to get more coffee, leaving my magazine & phone on the table - clearly it was still occupied - and I came back to find my breakfast gone, including the pineapple juice I had not even opened yet. They might want to wait until they are sure people are done eating & gone.

When I checked out & was asked how everything was, I said I enjoyed my stay greatly & had already texted some friends about coming back & all of us staying there. The front desk person handed me some coupons to use on my next stay $25.00 off best available rate), which I thought was really cool. Until I looked at them closer later & saw that they expired in December 2012!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Old world feel with modern accommendations. The courtyard was the perfect spot fot early drinks and snacks. Patrick's Bar Vin was an added perk. Ideal location, great breakfasts, helpful and friendly staff. Plan on staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

Superb proper breakfast! Plates cups & glasses! Fabulous after the plastic in Florida!

The hotel is around a Courtyard, a bit like a big Riad in Marrakech
Great location to explore this fab city. The parking is 38$ a day but worth it if you are driving around as we are.
Just one thing I would love feather pillows!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed Friday and Saturday night and we will definitely stay again. Friendly check in service, professional and convenient valet service ($34/day which is less than paying for your own parking unless you want to walk), comfortable and clean room. Chandelier, high ceiling, marble floor, and pedestal sink in bathroom create a great New Orleans ambiance. The free breakfast was great too! Bacon, eggs, grits, juice/coffee, etc. served in pretty setting with nice silverware. We stayed in a back courtyard room and were not bothered by street noise at all, but I imagine that a balcony or street room would have noise. The best part was the location-you are literally right between Burbon and Royal street (30 second walk either way), across the street from Arnauds and just a few minutes walk to St. Luis Cathedral and Cafe DuMonde. The only bad thing is that we arrived at night and had to circle around a few times before we found it and figured out where to enter. Highly recommended for couples, but if you are bringing kids you may want to choose a less busy area.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room or a room higher up to avoid street noise from people on Burbon street.
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I've been to New Orleans several times and have stayed in different hotels each time. Hotel Mazarin was the best by far; my daughter and I were there for a week. Hotel staff were friendly and very helpful. We stayed in a Deluxe King room overlooking the courtyard. Room was nicely appointed, clean, walk-in shower was fantastic. It was fairly quiet, street noise was minimal except on Saturday night with a wedding going on in courtyard and we could hear police sirens. However, anywhere in heart of French Quarter will be noisy on weekends. Courtyard was beautiful, with a large fountain. We ate breakfast there every morning and spent several hours just relaxing there between our tourist activities. The cost was reasonable when taking into account the free breakfast (included eggs, bacon, sausage), free internet service and free bottled water. This will be my place to stay when I'm in New Orleans again!

Room Tip: Choose a Courtyard room if you want less noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family