“Excellent”
Review of Hotel Mazarin

Hotel Mazarin
Ranked #7 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

It is not often I rate everything as excellent, but Hotel Mazarin deserves this rank. Located on Bienville, just around the corner from Bourbon St. We had a courtview room and never heard noise from the streets! Breakfast is complimentary and the omelets were delicious. All staff were friendly and helpful. Highly recommend this place!!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Nicolepb
Write a ReviewReviews (4,725)

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Picked this hotel via reviews and pricing. Definitely got value for the money. Hotel rate includes a hot breakfast buffet AND they do requests. Bottled water and a non-bar refrigerator are in all rooms. The staff is exceedingly friendly and helpful. Come to think of it, I don't think we met a rude person in all of New Orleans. The bathrooms are elegant and come with what I consider to be the proper amount of towels. The only negative that I have with this hotel is that the pillows are all of one kind and very hard.

Room Tip: Ask for the courtyard side. Rooms facing Bourbon St. can be a little noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank gnarfle23
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I stayed at the Mazarin for five days during a busy weekend and was not disappointed in any way. I have stayed in twelve different hotels in the quarter during the past 15 years and this is only the second time that I would "do a repeat".
The location is absolutely perfect. The hotel staff is amazingly friendly and helpful, including the waiters at breakfast, the housekeepers, the security doorman and most of the front desk clerks.
I just read the recent reviews of the hotel and did not have the same negative experiences some guests described.
Regarding the rooms: I have a different take on them. I travelled with another couple. We both had delux kings. They were in room 313. It was on the inner courtyard with a window to the courtyard. It was dark, small, and claustrophobic. Inner courtyard rooms on the third and fourth floor are blocked by the tarp over the courtyard and feel very closed in. I was in room 511 and unlike two other reviewers, I thought it was a great delux king. My fellow travelers thought I had an upgraded room. 511 was at least one third larger than 313, had two windows to the outside and was quiet and comfortable at all times. Because this is a hotel in the quarter, all of the rooms are different, even within the same class. I guess opinions vary but I loved 511 and we all thought the delux king on the third floor was not good. The front desk staff accommodated my friends by moving them to a room on the second floor in the back and it was far more spacious.
The Mazarin is part of the New Orleans Hotel Group that has taken over several locations and upgraded them. The Marais is also very nice. It is smaller, decorated in a more modern style and has a younger clientele.....it is a little more hip!
The Mazarin is more classically decorated. The other reviews describe the rooms, bathrooms, etc. this is just a very nice property in a great location that has retained the feel of the French quarter.

Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank bcqajbk
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Wanted to try a boutique hotel this time in NOLA.. It was just ok.. If it wasnt for the bellmen Solomon and Renee i think I would have left and gone somewhere else.. Those guys are very helpful. They also give great directions.. The front desk is lacking in experience and uninterested.. thankfully i forgot the ladies name at the front desk..Her attitude is terrible.. During my stay I asked for help 3 times making reservations for dinner. Each time she would roll her eyes and say I could do it myself.. (so much for service..LOL).. The amenities are average nothing special.. I do like that you need a room key to access floors... If you can get a better deal somewhere else, go...

Room Tip: Rooms facing courtyard are relatively quieter than facing bourbon street.. But it doesnt matter, the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank queenb034
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Great hotel, free breakfast. Gorgeous rooms and perfect location. I have nothing else to add!
The hotel has a flair that only NOLA has to offer. Very "boutique" style. The breakfast was very simple (yogurt, fruit, cereals and the like). Parking is a premium as all of the downtown hotels charge (around 25/day).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank hillary210
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The wife and I were on a month long roundtrip coast to coast road trip and excited about our stop in NOLA. I wanted a hotel that was centrally located in the heart of the French Quarter, so Hotel Mazarin was perfect. The hotel is in prime location for everything you are looking for in NOLA, but that's it.

The valet outside was awesome and friendly, but the hotel staff seemed inexperienced and uninterested to assist guests. Upon checking-in to the hotel, we waited at the front desk while the clerk fumbled with paperwork for 30 min, no exaggeration. I understand that paperwork needs to be completed, I wouldn't mind waiting 5-10 min for someone to finish their work, but 30 min?

Upon check-out we called the front desk to have our car be pulled out front since they valet park all vehicles. The front desk told us that calling ahead was not necessary since the parking garage was just across the street and it would only take a couple of minutes. We went to the lobby to check-out, asked the front desk person to pull the car out of the parking garage, since it would only take a few minutes. However, because the parking garage was full and because we had an oversized SUV our car was parked 'off-site', we waited at least 25 min. to get our car.

The hotel is average at best. The rooms were nothing special, clean and comfy, but nothing special that would make this hotel stand out from any other hotel I have been to. I still can't seem to understand how this hotel is so highly ranked in NOLA. The location is fantastic, but location can not be the only basis for the hotel's high ranking.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We were driving through New Orleans on our way to Houston and saw the great reviews here so decided to book -- we weren't disappointed. Lovely and elegant room (the front desk was wonderful and upgraded us), breakfast was excellent, peaceful courtyard, fantastic location. I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple