“What a Gem!”
Review of Hotel Mazarin

Hotel Mazarin
Ranked #7 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Lovely renovated hotel in the heart of the French Quarter. Was there for business but definitely would stay for fun. Large, comfortable rooms are well appointed. Beds were super comfortable. Nice workspace. Only negative is that the light comes on automatically in the bathroom...and takes forever to turn off. All rooms overlook the Courtyard. All rooms come with a complimentary welcome cocktail and complimentary breakfast buffet which is extensive. Highly recommend for business or pleasure. Small workout facility does its job. As with most (if not all hotels) in NOLA, parking is by Valet. They were great. Check out the hotel's French Quarter Wine Bar. Great selection of wines and we had a delicious Charcuterie plate. I will return!

Room Tip: Higher up would be better if you didn't want all the noise from Bourbon Street. Otherwise I thi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,712)

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We spent Christmas at the Mazarin. Although it was unseasonably cold, we had a great time in a Hotel within walking distance or a short cab drive of the places we wanted to see. The staff was
unusually accommodating. We were in a suite on the third floor but had to walk up a flight of stairs to get there. The hotel staff carried the bags and arranged for a change to a room that the elevator reached the next day. Family came and they were placed in rooms near us. Hotel staff got cabs for us immediately and arranged a couple of tours. The Mazarin is across the street from the Irvin Mayfield Jazz Playhouse in the Royal Sonesta. We were able to walk in and hear wonderful jazz. One evening Ellis Marsallis was the keynote. Great restaurants nearby were in abundance. I'd like to go back in good weather so the tarp could be removed from the courtyard and we could enjoy breakfast outside.

Room Tip: The suites are very spacious. Unless you want to walk up back steps in the rain, choose a room/suit...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

I cannot say enough good about this beautiful, comfortable hotel. The service is impeccable. It is apparent that the staff has been well trained as they go out of their way to provide excellent service. The rooms are well appointed. The conference room is private and roomy. Breakfast was delicious. Excellent choice for business or pleasure.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank StockadeOwner
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I hardly ever write hotel reviews--I'm too lazy--but Marazin was so awful I felt I had to before they ruin somebody else's vacation (and health).

We booked a Premium King at Mazarin for 6 nights over the Thanksgiving Weekend. We only stayed 3 nights (Rooms 202 & 302) before we moved out for the sake of our health and sanity.

Over the 3 days, the following happened:
- They lost our reservation and made us stand around for 30mins in a grubby, tiny corridor while they looked.
- Front desk manager Mariecar was ridiculously rude throughout. Once, she made us wait in the lobby for 15 mins to see her and NEVER SHOWED UP. No apologies, nothing.
- We barely slept for 3 nights because the street noise was so bad (I posted a video).
- The air conditioning system gave us really bad flu-like symptoms (sneezing, coughing, stuffiness etc). The symptoms disappeared wherever I left the room. I'm a healthy woman in my 30s with very few allergies and no history of respiratory issues. There has to be something pretty bad (mold?) in the air system for me to react like that.
- Almost every single staff member was badly trained. The housekeeping was sloppy, the front desk was hostile, even the woman who bussed the breakfast table was rude (she beckoned in my face to pass her my used plate instead of asking me politely or even reaching for it). Of course there was dear Mariecar the Front Desk Manager who treated us like criminals (yes how dare we show up with an email confirmation of a booking that they lost, we must be up to something treacherous).

I'm working on a more detailed review and a formal complaint to the hotel. In the meantime, here are some photos of the sloppy housekeeping.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SarahTravels2014
Michael D, General Manager at Hotel Mazarin, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Thank you for your comments. It's only in getting reviews that we can address any guest issues. I apologize for the missed reservation that you booked through an online agent. I understand that after the Front Office agent called the online agency that your reservation was entered into our system. Our air conditioning system is new and serviced monthly with changing of filters. We pride ourselves in the training of all of our associates and managers with the focus on giving enhanced levels of guest service. I would like to invite you back should you return to New Orleans, please contact me directly.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Nice spacious rooms, great location, nicely furnished, quality hotel. Probably the best "continental breakfast" I've ever had. Only negative is the tarp that the hotel uses to cover the courtyard. It's a nice courtyard, but the tarp detracts from it. Our room was on the 3rd floor where the tarp is draped. It rained all night during our one night stay and the water drained onto the tarp right in front of our room. Very, very loud. I probably would not have even known it was raining had it not been for the rainfall being diverted to the tarp right where my room was. Hotel is a little pricey, probably over priced in my opinion. But it is a nice place that is perfectly located in the French Quarter.

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd floor courtyard get to see the tarp. Not a pretty sight.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We had a blast. We arrived on New Years Day and stayed at Hotel Mazarin for the first time. After going many times, this is by far the best. We love the location, and the staff was the absolute best. The elegance of the hotel was beautiful in every way. The breakfast each day was great and the service throughout was the best. Once we valeted the car, we never needed it again until we checked out. Thanks for the wonderful time

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room with a balcony on Bienville.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 7 nights in early November 2013. Our room which faced onto the rear courtyard was a good size and very comfortable. Although so close to Bourbon Street it was quiet with one exception. The bed and chairs in the room were great and ensured a good rest. Mazarin provides an extensive breakfast which was very filling and gave you a good start to the day. We found all of the hotel staff courteous and helpful.
Be aware the Mazarin appears very popular with wedding parties on Friday night through to Sunday. We had an incident at 5:00 am one morning with a noisy group. Front desk staff quickly arranged for the problem to be resolved.
The only gripe we would have about the Mazarin was the location of the toilet roll holder. You needed to be a contortionist to reach when using the toilet.
Would we consider staying at the Mazarin again. Most definitely.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple