“Surprising Quality”

Ranked #4 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Tucson, Arizona
“Surprising Quality”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I took a chance on booking this hotel for one night, needing a place to stay in the French Quarter, and was I ever wowwed by the great accommodations and friendly staff. I was SO impressed. I was disappointed that I had only booked one night and would have preferred to spend my entire time at Hotel Mazarin in the French Quarter rather than at another, more expensive hotel that didn't offer the same amenities as this gem of a hotel did. I am looking to book my next stay here. Great location, wonderful courtyard. Clean big rooms. Friendly helpful staff. And the best surprise was a complete, not a continental, a full breakfast was offered. It was just an added reason that I want to go back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,152)
  • Hebrew first
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed here the week of Mardi Gras in a King Deluxe room. It was perfect! It's conveniently located in the heart of the French Quarter. We had a balcony on our room, which was a plus to sit back and watch the craziness of Bourbon Street just steps away! If you stay in a room facing the street, it's noisy....be prepared, especially during Mardi Gras...but we knew what we were getting into and had no issues! It got quieter around 6 am for a couple of hours. The hotel is beautiful, rooms with marble floor tile and ornately decorated, also a nice little courtyard is situated in the center of the hotel. Don't miss the shopping on Royal and Chartres!! A lot of cute shops only blocks away! I would stay here again in a heartbeat!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blanquita79
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We loved this hotel's location so close to everything in the French Quarter but secluded and peaceful inside the courtyard. The rooms are spacious, oh-so comfortable, and wonderfully quiet. I never heard any other quests, day or night, Comfortable bed & pillows, silky sheets, fluffy towels, even the body lotion was delightful. Large bathroom and vanity areas. My only suggestion would be to install some sort of towel hooks or bars near the vanities. Breakfast every morning was delicious. Some of the best scrambled eggs I've ever eaten -- plus many other choices. Knowledgeable front-desk staff were always helpful and quick to offer suggestions for restaurants, tours & activities This is a beautiful treasure right in the heart of New Orleans. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor, south side of the courtyard. PERFECT!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barb A
Stockton, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is an excellent hotel for those folks avoiding the large scale hotels with no intimacy or charm. All the rooms are beautiful and have really nice bathrooms with excellent shower heads. The continental breakfast is delicious and the young gals helping in the dinning room are friendly and great hosts.

The night time can be noisy due to the folks on the street but it's hardly noticeable when you close the window. The Prohibition Bar is affordable yet small and quaint enough that you don't have to deal with any riff raff. Will stay here when I return to New Orleans.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tlacuache909
New York
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Though I'd visited New Orleans once before, I'd wanted to show my aunt - who is ailing - a great time by introducing her to this lovely city last March (2013) for my birthday. I'd seen the great reviews about the Hotel Mazarin on Trip Advisor and decided to take a chance on it.

Although it was a bit bumpy in the beginning in the first evening (I'd later found out that they were short-staffed that evening), everything worked itself out - especially thanks to Jeff (the manager on duty, who went above and beyond to make sure that he'd met all our requests, especially considering my aunt's health concerns) and Rene (the kindly bellhop, who went above and beyond to make sure that our basic needs were met). The free breakfast offered was a plus, as it quenched my aunt's hunger.

The best thing about this place was the oasis that it offered from the bustle outside (no easy feat, since we were less than a block away from Bourbon St.). The courtyard was especially beautiful, as was the room that we'd shared - so much so that my aunt was sad when we had to leave four days later.

All and all, I'd recommend the Hotel Mazarin if you're looking for an alternative to the huge hotels in the French Quarter, as the staff adds a personal touch to your New Orleans experience.

Room Tip: Request a room that doesn't face the street for a quieter experience (well, as quiet as you can...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank toucy
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I travel to New Orleans every week for business and always try to stay at the Hotel Mazarin. I don’t always get to and can tell you when I don’t get to stay there; I remember why I love it so much. Staying at other hotels means, I get a flat hard pillow, a bed that allows 5-6 hours or rest before my back begins to hurt, not one complementary bottle of water (not to mention 4). At other hotels, I don’t get a full/complete complimentary breakfast. Did I say full breakfast? Yes, crispy bacon, sausage links, scrambled eggs, grits, every bread and pastry imaginable, yogurt, cereal, fresh cut fruit, oranges, bananas, apples, pears, coffee and all juices. That’s a $25.00 value included in your room cost. The staff (from the front desk to the bartenders at Patrick’s Bar Vin) are so customer focused. For reservation Tara Di Pascal (Director of Sales) is the best. Location? Hotel Mazarin is between Bourbon Street and Royal on Bienville. It’s just 20 steps away from the Bourbon Street scene, but far enough away to escape the craziness, if needed.
Hotel Mazarin really has it all.

Room Tip: 2nd floor, because the fountain will put you to sleep.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Eric S
California
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I am extremely picky about cleanliness and I give this hotel 5 stars. It was immaculate, had a superb location in the French Quarter, offered a comfortable bed, nice tile floors, chandelier lighting, excellent shower/water pressure, and attentive staff. The breakfast food-wise was okay, comparable to what you'd get at any help-yourself breakfast at an average hotel (danish, bagels, boxed cereal, fruit, kept-warm scrambled eggs, etc.) Staff-wise, it was very attended to, and the courtyard was lovely. We had a courtyard room on the 3rd floor under the tarp, so our view was preserved. Though the courtyard is thankfully insulated from all street noise, it does tend to echo sounds. Our first night I was awakened at 3 am by someone whistling an entire song. But I really couldn't complain too much, because the hotel room and location were perfect.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple