“If only...............”

Ranked #6 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Toronto, Canada
“If only...............”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

If only 3 stars hotels were as good as this one, I'd start looking at 3 star hotels. This is the first time I've ever selected a 3 star hotel and only because of the good reviews I read about it. I always stayed at hotels 4 stars and above. The complimentary breakfast and the free wifi were contributing factors, not so much the free breakfast though. What I look for in a hotel is cleanliness, space brightness and last but not least free wifi.

Breakfast was very good. Though not a lavish breakfast, there was enough to choose from and fill up on. Besides beverages and juices, there's fruit bowls, yogurt, jams, butter etc, bread, bagels, cream cheese, pancakes, scones, (yum) croissants, sausages, crispy bacons, (yum!) grits, scrambled eggs, etc. The scrambled eggs was the best I remember having. Most times it's just a blob of tasteless yellow mass. But this scrambled egg actually had a taste to it. The patio was a plus where you have your breakfast amidst the cool of the fountain and the shades of the plants.

Oh yes the room, was spacious and bright. Nice quiet ac to keep cool at night. The rooms and the bathrooms were clean and tidy. Complimentary bottles of water were supplied. Also, in the courtyard they had a jar of water filled with fruits and ice which we loved to drink from especially coming in from the heat. There was a couple of days when the temperature was 90+F.and it was humid! The room was also supplied with robes and slippers. On site was also a business centre with free printing and an exercise room.

Before I forget, I got to mention the gentleman named Gianni (I think) who was extremely friendly and helpful. He was the one who checked us in and also recommended some places to eat. Gianni if you are reading this, we appreciate your help. All other staff were pleasant as well when we asked questions or directions.

Another plus point is the location. It's located in a quite street, away from the hustle bustle and noise, but yet it's walking distance to a lot of places like Bourbon street, Jackson Square, French Market, restaurants, galleries, etc. even to Harah's casino on Canal, which is about 15 mins walk away. As I was walking around the block and noticing some of the 4 star hotels which I could have picked, they didn't appear as appealing as Mazarin to me by their exteriors.

Our rooms were facing the courtyard which we loved. Though at night, you might hear the water falling from the fountain. At first I thought it was raining outside. But it didn't bother me, I only heard it when I got up in the night for the washroom.

If I were to re visit NOLA, I would check back at the same hotel. Oh it takes about half hour+ from the MSY airport. If you have four people, it's cheaper to take the cab, they charge you $14 per person. However, the minimum charge for 1 or 2 passengers is around $33. Airport shuttle is $20 per person, two way is about $36/$38

The breakfast room is reasonable sized, I had to crop it out in the picture so as not to show other people there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank SammieMiche

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,182)
  • Hebrew first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Hotel Mazarin is a very nice clean hotel. I had the opportunity to stay in room 503 one nite and room 230 another nite. Room 503 is bigger than 230 but the cleanliness of both rooms were perfect. And I am very particular about where I sleep and this place was very nice. The staff was great and informative about places to visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Afua E
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Firstly, I'd like to start off by saying I have exceptionally high expectations of things. I have a strong background in hotels, so I know what to look out for.

The property was very pleasant. I typically lean towards more modern/contemporary styles, but the W was booked out, and in New Orleans, you'll be hard pressed to find that on short notice. Everything was clean and in great condition. The room was spacious and very well stocked with amenities like soap and lotion. The bed was comfortable and the marble flooring was very classy. I also was very impressed with the continental breakfast included. The selection was comprehensive and I found the items to be very delicious. The scones were everything!

However, there were a few things I didn't like. The shower didn't get or stay very warm and the design of it was a little wonky. I disliked how the shower had an open design with no door, it made for spillage and I think if I was able to close the shower, it would've felt a little warmer. To the hotel's credit, I did bring it up to the front desk, and the agent offered to have an engineer assess, but we declined.

The internet was a little fritzy. It was a little frustrating, but when I mentioned it to the front desk agent, she said she'd have an engineer reset the router. When we returned later that night, the internet was not only working, but the connection was really fast. I was really impressed.

There was one thing in particular that irked me a little. I had a billing inquiry and was a little confused with something. I approached Larry at the desk and he was a little bit less than helpful and almost confrontational. To make a long story short, I requested a printed pro-forma and he seemed to be confused. There was an additional authorization on my card and I needed to cross reference the remaining balance of my stay after all the days would have elapsed. He may have felt a little bit coached, and as they say, doctors make the worst patients, so he was getting a little bit antsy and opted to just give me a number for reservations to speak to someone. I thought this was a little ridiculous for a variety of reasons. Firstly, he should have been able to clearly ascertain what my concern was and have the knowledge to manipulate the system to extrapolate all necessary info properly. Secondly, his idea of handling the situation wasn't very appropriate. When he started to get frustrated, he just passed the buck and gave me a number to call, didn't even offer to dial the hotel's own reservations department on the courtesy phone. (Assuming there is more than one phone, because a front desk only having one phone is a little absurd)

In short, the exchange was uncomfortable. Conversely, Maricar, the woman at reservations, was extremely helpful and actually went the extra mile to get more information on my reservation. I was very impressed with her skills. Additionally, I also found Anita at the desk to particularly helpful and pleasant to talk to. Joe and Larry at valet were also extremely pleasant as well.

One last thing that annoyed me - shortly before check out, I called in advance to get my car called from the valet. The PBX said that it wasn't going to be done until I was at the desk checking out - which is not only unintuitive but really annoying. I understand that space is limited on the street, but the car would have to occupy a space during the transition at some point anyway. Kind of made me feel like they didn't trust that I was being truthful in my statement that I was on my way down.

Overall, I did enjoy my stay. The property is very quaint, but well kept and clean. For the most part, the staff were friendly. The location is pretty ideal, too. I would recommend this property to anybody considering.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank AxelRoldos
GuestRelationsNOHC, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mazarin, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Hi NewJer5Z,

Thank you for staying with us, and we are glad you had a great time! We take pride in our breakfast selection -- we know how important it is eat heartily in the morning for long walks and tours during the day! As far as your billing inquiry, we are sorry for the inconvenience this caused you, and we have discussed it with the appropriate parties. We do hope you'll consider us on your next trip to New Orleans!
Mobile
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My family booked three rooms for the Sugar Bowl. All in all everything was very nice. Our room was large, very clean and very comfortable. My parents room was tiny, upon their arrival they discovered a backed up toilet, the last guest had dropped a lemon in the bowl, and the rod in the closet fell off the wall. Not such a great start for them. The hotel staff repaired the toilet and the closet rod. It was a very busy weekend and the staff did all they could to address our problems. It is a beautiful boutique hotel and is in a great location. I would return for another stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank phrunk
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have no complaints. This was the best hotel I have ever stayed at in New Orleans. Friendly, beautiful, clean and generous. In the French Quarter, yet not noisy. They did everything to make our stay perfect. They really cared about making your stay a great experience, and it was. Every request met quickly and with a smile. From now on, this is my hotel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank ParadiseNotLost
Chino, California
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Our 5 nights at Hotel Mazarin added so much to our New Orleans adventure! Great location between Royal and Bourban Streets. Short walk to St. charles trolley. Nice walk to Jackson Square and Frenchman Street. Room was large, modern, and comfortable! Staff friendly, efficient, and helpful. Two bars were also welcoming. Breakfast was tasty and had all you need; eggs, bacon, pancakes, breads, cereals, yogurts, etc. Will stay here again!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 511 that overlooked the second floor side wing area. Currently have a tarp over co...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Keleigh D
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I had to drive through New Orleans on a trip from Atlanta to Houston and decided it would be a good halfway stopping point. We have stayed in New Orleans many times and have stayed at many levels of hotels from the Ritz to a Quality Inn. My wife found the Hotel Mazarin on Jetsetter and Trip Advisor. At the time it was ranked #2 in New Orleans. We are glad we booked it. Although it was for only one night it was one of the nicest stays we have ever had anywhere and that's saying something. We booked the summer package. It included parking, a great full American breakfast, two drink coupons for their bar, and a truly beautiful room with a huge bathroom and walk in shower. A lot of rooms in New Orleans are small this was not the case. Even if you do not get the package your stay will include the breakfast, free wifi, free bottled water, and a huge flat screen TV. The staff was top notch as well. They were friendly, helpful and you really got the feeling they cared for their guest. The location is perfect located between Bourbon and Royal so step away from the party or turn the other way and shop at the jewelry and antique shops. Our only negative is that we only stayed here for one night. On our return trip we stayed at their sister property the Hotel Le Marais which was nice but the Hotel Mazarin is a step above from top to bottom.

Room Tip: Summer package is by far the best deal in New Orleans
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple