“Oasis on Bourbon Street”

Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #28 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
St.Paul, MN
“Oasis on Bourbon Street”
Reviewed 12 July 2011

The Royal Sonesta hotel is an absolute Oasis on Bourbon Street. As you enter the hotel lobby you will be taken in by the marble, flowers and fountain décor but mostly especially by the friendly service of the hotel staff. Our beautiful and clean courtyard facing room only added to our satisfaction. The location was excellent we walked to the convention center, fabulous restaurants, and fun bars. We would end our evening at the lobby bar listening to amazingly talented jazz musicians and vocalist another oasis in New Orleans. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank dbfamily5
DDGDDG, Manager at Royal Sonesta New Orleans, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
What a pleasure to read! We are so proud to hear that your stay at the Royal Sonesta was stimulating and highly satisfactory. Please come see us again when you’re next in town. Thank you for complimenting us as an “oasis on Bourbon.”

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,363)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Parking is alo cheaper down the street rooms are cheaper and nicer at the dauphine service is exceptional

• Stayed July 2011
Dana Point, California
Reviewed 10 July 2011

It's simple really..... Real southern hospitality, and nice, clean, comfy rooms that don't cost an arm & a leg! This hotel was a great value.

The location is great, right on Bourbon St., but I must admit that it got old after the second day! Day & night we could hear pulsating music and a really annoying guy on the mic. Along with really wasted people screaming and laughing on the street below our room. But I guess you'll probably get that anywhere in the French Quarter!

All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
usa
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We stayed at the Royal Sonesta for 5 days. Prior to making the reservation I called them three times for information. Each time an articulate and knowledgeable person answered all of my questions. During our stay we noticed there were usually 2 uniformed hotel employees in the lobby making themselves available to the guests.
The room was larger than many other rooms I've staid at in the French Quarter in this price range. In the morning when leaving our room for breakfast we would hang the sign on our door to have the room clean. It would be ready for us when we returned.
In the Musical Legends Park across the street from the hotel there is a restaurant that may have the best beignets in the quarter. Entertainment starts there at 2 pm.
The hotel has the Irvin Mayfield Jazz Playhouse that you should plan on visiting.
I've been visiting the French Quarter for over 40 years and feel that this is one of the best hotels in the Quarter. I will return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your vote as one of the Best Hotels in the Quarter! We are so glad that we could help enhance your stay in New Orleans. We’re always counting our blessings, like our warm, hospitable staff and wonderful location in the middle of the Quarter. We hope to see you again soon at the hotel and the Playhouse!
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 July 2011

I stayed at the Royal Sonesta with a friend in 2009, and when time came to plan another trip to New Orleans this year, I didn't even consider another hotel. Both times, I was there to experience the lively nightlife of Bourbon Street, and the food of the French Quarter. The Royal Sonesta is one of the only hotels that the front door opens up right onto Bourbon Street. That is SO convenient.

I have found the people at the hotel to be courteous, professional, more than accomodating, and just all around top notch in every category. I'm sure I'll be back there again very soon.

Room Tip: The
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
We are very excited that you have enjoyed staying at the Royal Sonesta so much that you decided to come back to see us this time! Our staff loves seeing familiar faces, and appreciates returning guests.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 July 2011

My friends and I stayed at the Royal Sonesta for the Essence Music Festival, and our experience was amazing! New Orleans is a second home to me, and I've attended Mardi Gras, JazzFest, and Essence, so I'm very familiar with the city. Out of all of my hotel stays in New Orleans, this one was the best! If you want the ultimate New Orleans experience (i.e., dining, shopping, fun, live music, etc.), this hotel will put you right in the heart of the French Quarters. You have the choice of staying in a room facing Bourbon Street or Bienville or facing the pool or courtyard. Our room (#2118) was facing a beautiful patio area, which worked to our advantage because our patio door opened to a semi-private patio w/ table & chairs allowing us to mix and mingle with other guests on the patio, so that was pretty cool. The beds were huge, the rooms were clean, nice flat screens...the decor is New Orleans themed, yet it's still very chic and up-to-date. The concierge, security guards, and bellmen were all very helpful. We dined at Desire (located on the first floor of the hotel which has DELICIOUS FOOD), and we also dined directly across from the hotel at Oceana (DELICIOUS FOOD AS WELL--open until the wee hours). Parking is approximately $40/day, however, you have no other choice because street parking is limited so factor parking into your budget if you have a car. I highly recommend this hotel. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. FYI-I didn't get paid to write this review...I just appreciate good quality and great customer service, and in a nutshell, Royal Sonesta delivers!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank chi_peach
DDGDDG, Manager at Royal Sonesta New Orleans, responded to this review, 8 July 2011
Thanks for staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel! Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, and Essence are some of the best and biggest events New Orleans has to offer, and we are delighted that you choose to spend your time during those events with us. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Kenner, Louisiana
Reviewed 5 July 2011

I stayed here on a leisure trip in October 2006 with the school I taught at post-Katrina. The school treated us to some "down time" so that we can "de-stress" and get some needed R&R. I had a nice time except for the fact that a few people on staff there seemed to look down on me because I wore jeans, shorts, and tank tops while I was there unlike other guests who wore business attire. I felt that since my school paid the same price as everyone else there, regardless of what we wore, we should have been greeted politely and welcomed just the same. I was on a relaxation trip, so I didn't feel the need to "dress up." Perhaps I just met the wrong people there. Hopefully, the staff now is friendlier than the staff from a few years back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
We are so sorry to learn of your October 2006 experience. It certainly is not reflective of our normal guest comments. 2006 was a very hard year for us here in New Orleans. We were still training and replacing staff, still rebuilding the city, and dealing with post-Katrina challenges in general. We hope that you come see us soon to see our true, genuine service.