“Best hotel in New Orleans by far!”

Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #28 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Media, Pennsylvania
“Best hotel in New Orleans by far!”
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Everybody that works at the Royal Sonesta especially Mr. Malcolm, the doorman, is always willing to help. The hotel offers a calm environment and is just a step away from Boubon Street. This hotel is a must for anybody that wants to completely enjoy their stay in New Orleans.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,363)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Illinois
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I planned a trip for myself and some family and found the Royal Sonesta. The location is great if you're wanting to be in the center of the action on Bourbon. We were also within walking distance of Jackson Square (even on a 100 degree day). The hotel itself was clean and the workers were very friendly. In particular, we had a wonderful bellman, Daniel! The maids were polite and always said hello. The concierge was very helpful and truthful. The jazz bar downstairs, while a little expensive, had a great atmosphere and great music selections. We used the parking garage for our car, and as expected in a busy city, it was expensive, but worth it really. The men working in the garage deserve kudos for that difficult, crazy job and never losing their smiles! The pool was a nice area, a little small, but nice. It was done beautifully. The bartender outside was great! The Desire bar/restraunt was delicious! Please keep in mind when staying in this area that it is a city and costs will be higher.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Patchogue, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed at the Royal Sonesta Hotel French Quarter New Orleans for my 42nd birthday. Just my husband and I. We walked into the hotel and were immediately greated with w huge smile and a good morning from the door man, which then continued with all the staff at the Royal Sonesta. So friendly and welcoming. I suggest spend the extra money and stay on the R Club Level. The rooms were beautiful..complimentary morning breakfast..hor'dours and drinks in the evening. The conciege extremely helpful. We did not stay on the Bourbon Street Side because we heard it was extremely noisey but the crowd control was taken care of extremely well and yes there was some noise but nothing to complain about. The streets felt very safe in the french quarter. I suggest the Bloody Mary Ghost Pub Walking Tour. Our guide Mark was very noligealbe about the entire history and events in new orleans. We also went on the horse and carraige ride which was also a great opportunity to see the city and hear the history. I am a bit of a history buff and just love to learn about the places that I visit. Yes I do like to drink and there are plenty of bars that offer just that. I was very impressed by the talented artists and street performers that are up and down burbon street and down by the wharf. We also went on the dinner cruise one evening that was very nice and relaxing..great jazz music.

The Hotel was extremely clean and our room was beautiful. Great big bed and comfy too. It was my birthday and the hotel sent up balloons..champaign and chocolate covered strawberrys which was a nice surprise. They really go all out to make you feel like family. We ate at the Oyster Bar one evening and met the most wonderful woman their. She has worked at the Royal Sonesta for over 40 years. (I can not remember her name for the life of me) but she sat down with us and we spoke about Katrina..the defestating effects of Katrina still live on but they have not broke the spirit of these fine people. The love that they have for there city is remarkable. Many people had moved away for months after the hurricane and returned. They have started over..lost all of there possessions..family memebers..but there memories and love live on and are not bitter and are willing to share..they aren't looking for sympathy or a hand out..they more or less convey that through tradegy life still goes on and you can overcome anything and do not need to be bitter. I left there will a new knowledge and understanding of the true meaning of living life to the fullest and not holding on to the past if it hurts you.

I would definately go back to N.O. and the Royal Sonesta. It was an amazing opportunity and memories that will last me a lifetime.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Broomall, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The hotel is beautiful and very clean, has a great atmosphere and the coolest and most helpful door man we have ever met, Mr. Malcom. I would suggest this hotel experience to anyone who is planning a trip to New Orleans.

Room Tip: I feel any room you choose there will be no problems as they are all great.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Just got back from a short trip to NOLA. It was my first time and we stayed from a Wed to Fri. I did my research before going and wanted to stay here due to the wonderful reviews I had read. The hotel exceeded my expectations. First of all , the location is perfect and close to everything in the French Quarter. Second, the place is HUGE. It has so many lounges and restaurants that are apart of the hotel. When we first checked in , we were upgraded to a nicer room with a patio door looking out to the interior courtyard on the third floor. I was so happy with this room. The hotel also had complementary wifi. The pool area was small but nice. We didn't get to use the pool because it was raining most of the time we were there. The package we booked came with a free bottle of champagne and a coupon booklet (bogo coupon for mint juleps or bloody marys at la booze bar). We tried Desire Oyster Bar one night. The food is okay. I got a pork po boy and my boyfriend got a dozen oysters. We went to Desire because it was pouring rain and we didn't want to venture out too far so it was convenient to just go downstairs. Another night we went to the jazz club in the lobby before going to GW Fins restaurant across the street. The jazz club was fun and I tried my first mint julep which I thought was really strong but the drink grew on me. Also we walked to Cafe Beignet just across the street one morning and had beignets and orange juice which I thought tasted better than Cafe du Monde. The bathroom is really nice too with fluffy towels. And there are bathrobes in the closet too. The TV is a very large flatscreen with tons of channels (I was able to enjoy my Bravo and Discovery channel show). Overall, it was a great trip made better by the lovely hotel.

One quick thank you to Russell the concierge who told us how to get to Willie Maes for some great fried chicken!!

• Stayed July 2012
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Got a great last minute deal (a little over 100 a night) for a room on the top floor. Not the biggest room, but the tall ceilings made it feel spacious. GREAT bed! Overall, great service as well.

• Stayed July 2012
Southern CA
Reviewed 17 July 2012

The hotel is in the heart of Bourbon Street, the biggest party ever. The hotel has a remodel in progress. The 3rd floor is done and other floors are partially done. Balconies abound facing the street, but interior rooms overlooking the courtyard are beautiful and quiet. They have a pool on the 3rd floor with a bar and burgers and other foods on a grill right next to the pool. The hotel has old time charm, yet refurbished to the beauty of the old days. They have a great coffee/desert shop, 2 restaurants and a night club. There are several other hotels on or near Bourbon Street, but not as spacious or offering as many amenities.
They have an old fashioned custom of a door man who handles your bags and gives great advice.
When you walk out the front door, you are in the middle of the Bourbon Street party. The Royal Sonesta is a great hotel in a great spot. We will return!

Room Tip: Decide if you wan to face the street for the party, or face the courtyard for a quiet night.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple