“I'm back”

Ranked #28 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
usa
“I'm back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

My wife and I enjoy visiting New Orleans for the "Christmas New Orleans Style" festival and have stayed at the Royal Sonesta a number of times. We return to this hotel for the service, location and the rooms.
On this trip we arrived at the hotel around 4 pm and were told our room would be ready in a few minutes. If we wanted to leave the hotel before the room was ready they would check our luggage and move them to our room for us. This sounded like a good idea. Therefore we told them to check our bags and we would return in an hour. We then walked across the street to Music Legends Park and listened to jazz for an hour. Upon our return to the hotel we found our luggage in our room. Unfortunately my wife said she would prefer a different room. I went back to the front desk and explained the situation. Nicole at the front desk was able to advise me of the rooms I had stayed in and, if I had a preference, she would see if that room was available or if one like that was available. I made a selection and my wife was very happy with the room. I've never had the staff at a hotel review the rooms I've stayed before to help with the selection process. To put it another way, make sure I would be happy.
The hotel was decorated for Christmas, During our stay we would listen to the children sing Christmas songs at noon in the lobby. The hotel is on the 300 block of Bourbon Street. It should be noted that there is a lot of adult entertainment on Bourbon Street within a couple of blocks of the hotel. If you have children, and don't wish to explain the meaning of adult entertainment, you may want to exit the hotel on Conti Street turn right and walk down Royal Street for a couple of blocks.
During the last couple of years we noted the hotel was doing some remodeling. Therefore it is possible the room you stay in now will be even nicer than the nice one you stayed in a while ago.
The Desire Restaurant is associated with the hotel and you can enter that restaurant through the hotel or from Bourbon Street. They have very nice seafood.
PJ's Coffee Cafe is located on the floor and has a nice selection of pastries.
The Irvin Mayfield Jazz Playhouse (lounge) has entertainment every night at 8. They also have a Happy Hour from 5 to 7 pm.
It was cold and windy during our stay last December. This year it was T shirt weather during the day. However the day we were leaving it started to rain and the temperature was supposed to drop. I mention the weather because some hotels in the French Quarter do not have a restaurant, jazz playhouse or coffee shop with pastries. In case of a brief rain shower there are things you can do without leaving the hotel.
I believe my first stay at this hotel was over 10 years ago. The fact that I keep going back should be informative.

Room Tip: If you stay in a room with a street side balcony you should be aware that there is a lot of street n...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,307)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

After spending four nights at the Royal Sonesta I can attest to the fact that the staff is simply wonderful. I recommend the Club level which features a full breakfast in the morning and happy hour at 5:00. The bartender was able to snag us a table in the Jazz Club which had limited seating. The Jazz Club is a fun place to spend an evening. There is a coffee shop which serves great cajun bloody Mary's.
Located in the middle of the French Quarter, you are within walking distance to just about everything.
On the downside, our room was small and the mattresses were not comfortable.

Room Tip: Choose Club Level
Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

I have been to New orleans several times at Christmas. The hotels and restaurants are generallly not full so reservations are fairly easy to get. Weather can be iffy. Anything from 70 degrees and sunny to cold and rainy and even one year a little snow is possible. Most of the better restaurants also offer a special Revillon menu for the season in addisition to the usual great food offerings in New Orleans.

This year I waited a little too long for my usual hotel which didn't have the type room I wanted so I looked for someplace else. How happy I was to have booked into the Royal Sonesta. The lobby was filled with Christmas trees and decorated extremely nicely. Many events were going on so the lobby was always jumping--children playing, choirs singing, very festive atmosphere!

The rooms are fine--fairly spacious with good linens and plenaty of fluffy towels. Lighting was good and toiletries in the bathroom definitely a notch above the usual. Flat screen tv in the bedroom. My room opened to the courtyard with balcony access so it was always quiet no matter what was going on downstairs. Service was efficient. No complaints from me.

But this place really shines at Christmas. Even if you don't stay here make sure you pay a visit. Just looking at the place makes you happy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool/courtyard--very quiet.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

This hotel was amazing. We had a regular King room. The bed and pillows were super comfy and the room was very clean and had alot of nice little touches. We were in walking distance from everything......we didnt even drive our car for the entire time we were there. There are alot of bars and "adult areas" on Bourbon, so don't stay here if you dont like being near that type of environment. We didnt go to any of them, but it didnt bother us to be in the area. The entire hotel and all of the staff were great!!! We will be staying here every time we come to New Orleans from now on.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed on the club-level for four nights, and found the service to be fantastic. The rooms were nice but a bit smaller than I had hoped for and the mattresses were not very comfortable. Jacuzzi tub was great, and I appreciated the Bvglari bathroom products. Loved happy hour everyday - the staff at the cafe were very professional and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to friends.... Although I will note that a number of the other guests were a bit trashy - but what do you excpect for Bourbon Street!

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

We stayed here over Christmas and Im not sure I would go back...I expected more.
The Royal Sonesta is located right on Bourban Street which can be a good thing, but its in the 4 block area of the seediest part of the area. Right out our door were 4-5 topless bars and some kinda of "live act', not what I want to be next to personally. I was pretty discouraged till we walked a couple blocks in any direction and the area was somewhat cleaned up...but if thats what you are looking for this is your place.
We arrived early, appx 10:30 am and even though we asked for an early check in I certainly did not expect it especially at this hour. We were pleasantly suprised when the front desk told us it was. They were also very polite and very eager to please.
The lobby of the hotel was absoultey beautiful especially decorated for the Christmas Holidays. Once we got upstairs that all changed...what we then saw and experienced was a hotel in dire need of a renovation or at least some fresh paint, carpet and some deodorizers. The halls stuck like a distant sewage and the small ice maker room smelt like an open sewage.
Our room although clean was very antiquated and needed a major facelift. The air conditioning was basically nonexistant and very old. It had a arrowed dial for low, medium, high and the thermostat didnt even have a "a/c" button just adjust the temp from 65-90. I couldnt imagine this place in the Summer.
By this time Im hating the place... so we decided to go and check out the court yrad and the heated pool that I had just called about two days ago. We found the court yard unkept and the pool drained and under some sort of construction...why did they not tell me that when I specifically asked just 2 days before?
Needless to say we didnt stay much in the hotel and I guess thats what a lot of people dont do while in New Orleans.
We decided also not to eat at the hotel even though we have read good things about it so I cant comment on that. I was also equally dissappointed that the hotel doesnt even have a spa...never seen a Royal Sonesta without one, strange.
I had also called a couple days in advance and ask what kind of room we could upgrade to. We chose a balcony room facing Conti street, this was very nice to walk out in the morn or evening for some semifresh air, plus it was only $25.00 a night more. Granted it was loud all night coming from Bourban but no complaints on that we knew that was going to happen. The room had a nice large safe but no coffee maker. It also came with free basic WiFi but could upgrade the speed...in fact they had two speed upgrades to purchase another first.
I will say that the staff was nice and the they must of had 3 or 4 crews of maids cleaning the rooms, that is much appreciated.
With all of the other choices we found in The Quarter I doubt we will be back to this Royal Sonesta.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Montecore1
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

Stay at RS made out Christmas in New Orleans a classy experience. The hotel is in a great location, if you don't mind Burbon Street (e.g., partying, etc.). It was easy walk to Jackson Square. We also walked to the Warehouse area, which was a bit of a distant. The staff were very nice and I especially loved the doormen. The hotel was decorated very elegantly with Christmas trees and flowers. Room was clean and comfortable. We were on the 5th floor, facing Burbon Street, and could hear some noise late into the nights. We also loved the oyster bar that's attached to the hotel, Desire, and thought the food was excellent. It was also convenient that we could bring our small dogs (<30 lb) for $75. The only downfall was the hotel itself does not have any area for dogs to relieve themselves, even though they have a small courtyard (all bricked and no grassy/dirt area). It would have been nice if they had a small patch of land that they could go, as I was not too fond of walking my dogs late at night on Burbon Street. This was our 3rd time in NOLA and was by far better than Marriott and Holiday Inn we stayed before. Cannot wait to go back there again!