My wife and I enjoy visiting New Orleans for the "Christmas New Orleans Style" festival and have stayed at the Royal Sonesta a number of times. We return to this hotel for the service, location and the rooms.
On this trip we arrived at the hotel around 4 pm and were told our room would be ready in a few minutes. If we wanted to leave the hotel before the room was ready they would check our luggage and move them to our room for us. This sounded like a good idea. Therefore we told them to check our bags and we would return in an hour. We then walked across the street to Music Legends Park and listened to jazz for an hour. Upon our return to the hotel we found our luggage in our room. Unfortunately my wife said she would prefer a different room. I went back to the front desk and explained the situation. Nicole at the front desk was able to advise me of the rooms I had stayed in and, if I had a preference, she would see if that room was available or if one like that was available. I made a selection and my wife was very happy with the room. I've never had the staff at a hotel review the rooms I've stayed before to help with the selection process. To put it another way, make sure I would be happy.
The hotel was decorated for Christmas, During our stay we would listen to the children sing Christmas songs at noon in the lobby. The hotel is on the 300 block of Bourbon Street. It should be noted that there is a lot of adult entertainment on Bourbon Street within a couple of blocks of the hotel. If you have children, and don't wish to explain the meaning of adult entertainment, you may want to exit the hotel on Conti Street turn right and walk down Royal Street for a couple of blocks.
During the last couple of years we noted the hotel was doing some remodeling. Therefore it is possible the room you stay in now will be even nicer than the nice one you stayed in a while ago.
The Desire Restaurant is associated with the hotel and you can enter that restaurant through the hotel or from Bourbon Street. They have very nice seafood.
PJ's Coffee Cafe is located on the floor and has a nice selection of pastries.
The Irvin Mayfield Jazz Playhouse (lounge) has entertainment every night at 8. They also have a Happy Hour from 5 to 7 pm.
It was cold and windy during our stay last December. This year it was T shirt weather during the day. However the day we were leaving it started to rain and the temperature was supposed to drop. I mention the weather because some hotels in the French Quarter do not have a restaurant, jazz playhouse or coffee shop with pastries. In case of a brief rain shower there are things you can do without leaving the hotel.
I believe my first stay at this hotel was over 10 years ago. The fact that I keep going back should be informative.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Sonesta New Orleans is the most Authentic French Quarter Experience located on world famous Bourbon Street, within steps of world-famous restaurants, antique shops, and premier tourist attractions. A landmark in New Orleans since 1969, its atmosphere reflects a strong European influence and Southern charm, with its elegant marbled lobby, tranquil fountains and sparkling chandeliers. The 483 room hotel including 36 suites features a secluded tropical courtyard, a beautifully landscaped outdoor pool, fitness center and five unique restaurants and lounges. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Royal Sonesta New Orleans reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Hotel New Orleans
- New Orleans Royal Sonesta
- New Orleans Sonesta Hotel
- Sonesta New Orleans
- Royal Sonesta Hotel