“Best of Both Worlds”

Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #28 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 28 March 2013

If you're looking for a true New Orleans Bourbon Street hotel experience, this hotel is the absolute best option. If you want a quiet hotel with an amazing location, top-notch service, and a great room, this is the place to stay. If you want a party location ontop of Bourbon street right in the middle of the action, this is still the place to stay. How does that work? Well, the hotel is amazingly designed with several types of rooms, Bourbon Street balcony rooms are great for a party, and high floor rooms in the back of the hotel have zero noise.

I recently stayed with a group of friends, one of us had a Bourbon balcony room and the rest were on the R Club floor. The Bourbon room is really nice, but certainly geared towards the Bourbon Street experience. The R Club floor rooms were beautiful, with nice amenities, and the club lounge is amazing. It is a beautiful space with orchids on every table, they serve a wonderful full breakfast with amazing coffee, and a great happy hour with free full bar and hot snacks. The servers in the lounge and club floor concierge give world class service.

The entire hotel is beautiful, the staff is great, just pick the best room type for your needs and you won't be sorry!

Room Tip: Pick a quiet room for a quiet stay, or a Bourbon balcony for a good time. The R Club is well worth...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LAXtraveler78

Reviewed 27 March 2013

We go to New Orleans several times a year to play and this is by far the most comfortable stay in the Quarter. Not only is the hotel beautiful and in a great location, the staff is fantastic. Our rooms have always been impeccable and the service top notch. We prefer balcony rooms, but keep in mind the ones closest to Bourbon do stay a bit loud into the night. So far my favorite is the Club floor with a private balcony. Well worth it if it's available. For us, this is home in New Orleans!

Room Tip: Rooms on Bourbon St. side can be a bit loud.
3  Thank LFGBVG
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We just returned from a much needed mini-vacation. We had an issue with our room but overnight management took care of it for us. They went OVER and BEYOND our expectations. We usually stay here while staying in New Orleans due to the fabulous location.. but wow!... they just got another star in my book! Fantastic hotel... fantastic and caring staff!... fantastic location... and Desire is a must for lunch!

1  Thank Amy S
Reviewed 25 March 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary last weekend. Unfortunately we only had time for a couple nights before returning home. The hotel was a beautiful building right on Bourbon and is in the heart of the action. Front desk service was quick and the reservations were correct. The king room was small and tight but perfect since staying in the room wasn't the purpose for our visit. We had a balcony overlooking a side street and just as a warning - The noise level can get loud if you are not an all night partier. I remember on the second night at 3:45am someone was on the street screaming about 'not leaving till she found her bleeping shoes'. That conversation/yelling match lasted about 15 minutes haha. The bed was comfortable and the room/bathroom clean. Definitely recommend the Royal Sonesta for a good time in New Orleans!

1  Thank JTofCorinth
Reviewed 25 March 2013

This was not my first trip to New Orleans and of course one can ever miss seeing the Royal Sonesta when walking down Bourbon. Its an icon, an institution. So when the opportunity arose to stay there for a few days over spring break, I took it.

The first obvious feature of the Royal Sonesta is the location. This could be a plus or a minus! You are definitely in the heart of the quarter and close to shops, bars and restaurants. But on the flip side, you are on Bourbon and it can be a bit crazy once you walk out the door. Use the Conti St. entrance to avoid some of the insanity.

Secondly, I must say that the staff is phenomenal. Extremely polite, helpful, exactly what you expect (and a bit more) from a 4 star hotel. Our room was very, very clean and the beds were comfortable. Our room was in the back and very quiet, however my parents room was across the hall from some balcony rooms and it got pretty rowdy, so keep that in mind when requesting a room. We were in a "standard" room and I felt the decor was pretty average and the furniture could use some updating. One chair was nearly threadbare in spots. The elevators were extremely slow and unpredictable (I once went from 4 to 2 and back 3 times before I arrived on the ground level). Additionally, if you are driving to the hotel it can be difficult to get in and out simply due to the fact that drunk pedestrians do not yield to cars. (FYI the parking garage is on Conti St). There was a pretty good free wi-fi connection.

Also, some may find this picky, but there was no coffee pot in the room. Yes, I know hotel room coffee is not always the greatest but it can be the difference between me being human first thing in the morning and not. I did not enjoy getting up, getting dressed (trying not to look like I had slept on Bourbon St) and going downstairs to wait in line for 20 minutes for a $5 cup of coffee. Never a good way for a coffee drinker to start the day.

I really wanted to love this hotel, really I did and I had great expectations but outside of the staff and the location, it doesn't present like a 4 star hotel. (If I had been paying the rack rate, I would have been extremely upset.)

With that said, if I come to New Orleans to browse the shops and eat good food, I will stay elsewhere. However, if I have come to party (and I've got a good rate), I would stay at the Royal Sonesta again.

Room Tip: If you want to party get a balcony room otherwise, request a room in the back.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank vlfair
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in the Royal Sonesta Hotel in New Orleans. This hotel is very well located in Bourbon Street, so that you can easily reach the peace you will surely need after walking from club to club, drinking, and listening to jazz, rock, blues or country music...They say Bourbon Street is decaying, but I totally desagree. It's still fun.
Back to the hotel: The Jazz Club is very good, indeed. The best option in the area. Good quality music all nights.
Prefer the rooms of the 3rd floor. They were renovated. The rooms of the other floors are very dark and old fashioned and aren't worth the money you will pay for them.
In reality the Hotel as a whole deserves a big renovation work. I suppose the Royal Sonesta should have been once very chic. Today it still looks beautiful, but tired. The restaurant and the bar are classy. Good wines, good food (but not extraordinary, unless for the price, really high). Good places to see and to be seen.
I would stay there again. For the location and for the jazz club.

Room Tip: Choose the 3rd floor.
1  Thank Minafrombrazil
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Location location location! Situated in the middle of the action on Bourbon Street, had a room overlooking a side street so not too noisy. Room very nice, looked recently refurbished, no issues with free wifi - good connectivity and speed. Hotel facilities decent, good outdoor pool and small but functional gym. Coffee shop on ground floor convenient (no coffee making facilities in room).

Ate at Desire (hotel) which was good. Also ate at Oceana Grill (just around the corner from hotel) which was great.

Service could be improved in hotel - lots of staff standing around not appearing that interested in helping the guests. Really should have tea/coffee facilities in the room. Overall glad we chose to stay in the heart of the action.

2  Thank Gareth M