“historic hotel feel - excellent service - great location - safe parking” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Sonesta New Orleans

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #26 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Orange Beach, Alabama
“historic hotel feel - excellent service - great location - safe parking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

We usually stay at the Chateau Bourbon one block over which is an actual historic hotel, but since being taken over by the Hyatt group, I found the new decor to be a bit much & trying too hard to seem edgy instead of playing up it's historic roots. So off to the Sonesta which is not a historic hotel, but was built in the 60's to look like a historic hotel. They've done a wonderful job with that & if I didn't know better I might have been fooled. Just an FYI if you are wanting a historic hotel that isn't owned by a national chain head over to the Hotel Monteleon which may be they only one left in the FQ.

Now on to the main reason to stay at the RS---Parking Parking Parking!! No the parking isn't included in the room price & if you find a FQ hotel who does include it- LMK. The parking is in a private underground 24 hour staffed garage & well worth the $40. Most hotels that do have parking are actually using a Central Parking owned open air garage with homeless people sleeping in the elevator. (I kid you not) Don't even think that you'll save a few bucks & park at Jax & take the streetcar. They'll throw a boot on your car faster than you can say Cafe' Du Monde. Any ideas you have about parking on the street will be quickly dashed when you see someone pee on your out of state license plate or puke on the hood of your car or get in a wrestling match with their drunk buddy & push him in to the side of your car. I've seen all of these things happen. Why do you think most employees bike to work?

We stayed in a lovely corner suite with a balcony on the 7th floor. the 7th is the "R-club" concierge floor & I can't speak to any other rooms in the hotel, but ours was quite nice- although in my opinion quite small to be called a suite. The balcony was wonderful & I could see the Monteleon & The Bourbon right behind us & the beautiful private courtyard below. The bathroom is probably the nicest I've ever encountered & I came straight home & ordered a full set of the Bvlgari blanc toiletries from Ulta & I was going to order that dang makeup mirror until I found out it was almost $500 at BB&B. I was very impressed that the jaccuzi tub was just that an actual Jaccuzi & not an off brand whirlpool tub. Sadly, We had some issues with ours & while maintenance was prompt to arrive it wasn't fixed before our checkout. The management was more than apologetic & accommodating because of the issue.

I have stayed at several Hotels in the area & the Sonesta is the only one who had security at the front door checking room keys before allowing you to enter the lobby. A major plus in my opinion. Another plus is the R-club lounge which served a wonderful breakfast & a great selection of heavy Hors d'oeuvres & premium drinks although I was disappointed that Abita beer (a local brew) isn't included in their beer selections.
The only con I can think of is that there is no coffee pot in the rooms. I understand that PJs is downstairs, but most people I know like a cup of coffee before they get dressed & are decent enough to go to a cafe & wait in line & be around people.

Overall-I give the stay a 4 1/2, but since that isn't an option I'm giving it a 5, but only because what few issues I did have were taken care of & the staff is some of the best I've dealt with in this area.

If you've never stayed in NOLA or the FQ before be wary of hotels that list themselves as FQ hotels because it is a broad/general area. Instead look at it's location. I have found that the closer to Canal the better.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta New Orleans, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
CJ, we appreciate your taking the time to share your experience at the Royal Sonesta Hotel. We are thrilled that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit and that you were able to find some of our lovely bath products to bring the experience back home with you. We take pride in providing our guests with a relaxing and safe stay, and we are glad to have met all your expectations. Please remember for future stays that we do offer in-room coffee makers to our guests upon request from our room service department and will take your feedback about the beer offering in the R Club into consideration. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal Sonesta soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,283)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rockford, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

My husband and I just returned from a classy and very pleasant stay at this hotel. Staff, Room, restaurants and entertainment met all of our expectations!!!! We feel that if others make negative comments about this hotel then these are people who constantly complain about everything........we are already talking about our next trip to New Orleans and there is no queston as to where we will stay...........The Royal Sonesta will be THE DESTINATION!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask the registraton personnel where the room location is according to what you expect.......they wil...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Cape May Point, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

We found an excellent offer on Travelzoo and couldn't resist. We jumped at the club R offer with the idea that we could get a reasonably healthy breakfast, some nice noshes around dinner time(along with a cocktail or two) and then take advantage of restaurant week lunches and some light fare at Desire Oyster bar. It worked out very well. To start, to a person every staff member we met was pleasant; quite a coup given the size of the property and the diversity of employees.

Room--clean, comfortable bed, weird safe location-too high, I (5'4") couldn't see in, nicely appointed, excellent toiletries (bulgari). Club food--fruit available after breakfast, breakfast includes scrambled eggs, bacon (very smokey), sausage(well spiced), toast, pastries and fruit. Evening noshes--cheeses and crackers, two hot items, e.g., spanikopita/wings/catfish bites/rice balls, crab salad on cuke, you get the idea. Pleasant "club room" with small balcony, great staff and concierges.

Pjs has reasonably priced sandwiches and snacks, excellent coffee and even a tasty Bloody Mary along with again, really nice barristas. The oysters at Desire are first rate. Just ask Kentrell? who has worked there for more than a decade and has customers who stop by when they are in town each month on business (the guy next to us at the oyster bar). And room service is by Revolution-- vegetable salad a bit small but wonderful.

Despite being a pretty big property, over 300 rooms, this place oftennfeels like a boutique hotel.

Great, kind of small pool, but not too crowded when we were there.

Exceptional location. Easy walk to Canal to pick up all the street cars, right in the heart if the french quarter, walkable to Frenchmen street. Can't go wrong. We hope to come back and visit again. In the interim, special greetings to Kristen and Chelsea up on 7 and to Ashley at the front desk for giving us good suggestions on what to see in the vicinity.

1 Thank Mary S
Thank you so much for your lovely review! We are ecstatic that you enjoyed your stay and that each and every one of our staff members provided you with excellent service. We apologize that your safe was in an awkward location and will take that into consideration as we embark on a major guest room renovation in 2014. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to New Orleans.
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at the Sonesta during Southern Decadence at the end of August for my b-day. I really have to say without a doubt it's the best hotel for staying in the quarter. The rooms are very clean and as paranoid as I am about bedbugs this is a good thing LOL. I still check, but it's always clean. Housekeeping is superb. The food is amazing! I can't remember the gentleman's name that watches the door (an older gentleman), but he's funny as hell! Really nice guy with a wealth of information about the quarter.

I usually sleep like a rock so I had no problems staying in one of the balcony rooms. If you're a light sleeper, I would say definitely get a room that faces the courtyard/pool!

As far as families go, I see others complain about what their children see when exiting the hotel. Well guess what...you're on Bourbon street! What really did you expect? The hotel is an amazing oasis in the middle of all the excitement. I would hardly expect them to control the establishments around them.

Also, I had a very late check-in due to my late flight and the desk folks are amazing at that hour as they are during the other parts of the day. They really seem to care and always smile and help you with anything.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jsonnva
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

We travel to New Orleans for the Saints football season home games every year. We enjoy trying different hotels each time. We have never stayed on Bourbon before for obvious reasons but decided to try The Royal Sonesta since we got an amazing deal through Travel Zoo. We were extremely pleaded!!! There are tones of continuous balconies off the rooms. We chose an interior room. The view was beautiful. We overlooked the courtyard and pool area. It was very refreshing to open the French doors each morning to see the citrus trees and other foliage. We could walk out onto the balcony that extended around the entire courtyard and pool area. Beautiful and you couldn't even hear the noises of Bourbon!
Bedding was superior!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank TTchristian
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

The trip was fantastic,the service and hospitality we received was phenomenal! Oh and the food was fantastic. The hotel was wonderful they made us feel welcomed and was very accommodating. Room was clean the Jazz was absolutely wonderful. We Loved our visit and sometime in the future would love to come back. Thank Royal Sonesta it was awesome!!!

1 Thank 445Richard52
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights during a road trip in August. The people were very friendly the room was nice. The hotel had a great restaurant and jazz bar. I would stay again when in the area. You could walk to many popular tourist spots and great restaurants.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank cadillactraveler
Thank you for taking time out to write a review for the Royal Sonesta Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and our Desire Oyster Bar and Irvin Mayfield’s Jazz Playhouse. We look forward to your next stay with us!