“5 star”

Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #28 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Great Hotel and staff, very comfortable. The oysters Desire were wonderful along with the Hurricanes. The location was perfect. Don't bother with the restaurant Revolution extremely overpriced not great.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Sonesta
1  Thank Patricia V
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Patricia, we are very happy that you, as a local, selected the Royal Sonesta Hotel for your staycation. Thank you for taking the time to share how much you enjoyed our friendly team, meal at Desire, central location and comfortable accommodations. We are sorry that your experience at Restaurant R’evolution did not meet your expectations. It has won many awards and much national recognition. We think you may like dining at Bar R’evolution better since you can order many of the same menu items and seasonal chef-driven cocktails which are not to be missed!

There are newer reviews for Royal Sonesta New Orleans

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Disappointing-we're not given the poolside room we booked had argument about it with them telling us what we booked!! I know what I paid and it was not for a "King Size" room the size of a shoe box!! Cannot see out of a very small high window and the requested adjoining room to be near my family was on the complete other side about 40 rooms away. The manner of the receptionist was arrogant and non caring and the Manager was no help either saying they were the only rooms available-why when you book two months ahead of your trip can you not get the room that you paid for and requested. I was told they allocate the rooms on the day -their system stinks!! And it is not good enough to be given a run of the mill room when you have booked something else-Never again!!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Tommo65

Tom, we are very sorry that we were unable to meet your requests for these specific room types on the day of your arrival. And we sincerely apologize that these employees at the front desk were not more sympathetic in working through the issue with you. Because your feedback and happiness are very important to us, our Director of Hotel Operations would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further about your observations and reach a resolution so you will feel confident coming back to us. Please contact him at kkelterborn@sonesta.com.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I attended a convention in New Orleans and opted to stay here rather than the conference hotel because it is a smaller but much nicer place with a great location. I enjoyed my stay and will stay here again when I come back to NO for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Sonesta
1  Thank Rick B

Rick, we are very excited that you selected our hotel in lieu of the other hotels you had to choose from. And we really appreciate your taking the time to share how pleased you were with your stay for business. We can’t wait to welcome you back when you next find time to visit the Crescent City!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

The makeup may be cracking, and the joints a little stiff, but the Royal Sonesta is still a classy lady. The service has been perfect. I had a slight problem with the tub. Maintenance took care of it while I was at breakfast and the Assistant Manager tracked me down to make sure it met my expectations. The doorman is a hoot and a big help with suggestions and directions. The location is in the heart of Bourbon Street activity, but the courtyard rooms are quiet enough. Everyone has been helpful and you can't beat the location.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank akadad

This is the kind of review we all strive for! Thank you for sharing how impressed you were with our attentive and caring team. We are glad maintenance resolved your tub issue and a manager was sure to follow up on it for you. Please be sure to tell all your friends about this fantastic place and come back to see us again.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Central to everything, this hotel is recommended when wanting to stay in the heart of the French Quarter. They had jazz every night in the lobby bar. The rooms were comfortable but could definitely use a little updating, especially the bathrooms.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa H

Lisa, thank you for staying with us and recommending our hotel to those who want an authentic New Orleans experience. We are happy to tell you that a hotel-wide renovation is planned for next year to include bathrooms, and we hope you will plan to stay in one of our new rooms!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Disclaimer - I have not visited this property yet. I'm writing because of my misgivings prior to my arrival. I discovered the hotel through a Living Social special. As it turns out, the dates I wanted are blackout dates so I canceled the Living Social deal and booked directly through the hotel.

You see, my dates aren't flexible because next week is my 20th wedding anniversary and I wanted to take my husband for a surprise, kid-free jaunt to one of our favorite cities. I checked the Trip Advisor reviews online prior to booking and everyone seems to really like the property.

My misgivings are due to the experience I'm having prior to my arrival. Since booking I've called the property at least 5 times. I wanted to let the hotel know about the anniversary, find out about any potential upgrades, as well as any special things I may want to book prior to arrival. Each time, I've been transferred all over the world - the concierge desk (where no one ever answered), back to the main reservation line (not what I requested) and front desk who advised, "we're really busy, maybe you can call back another time." Um really?? Ok. So I did call back and eventually spoke to someone. She said I could upgrade my room to a suite (for an additional $400 per nite, no thank you). Other than that, I could check the room service list upon arrival to see about ordering champagne, flowers etc. She did indicate that she would note in my reservation that it was my anniversary and said she would have someone call me from the concierge desk. That was about 3 days ago and so far, I haven't heard anything.

I'm hoping my fellow Trip Advisors haven't led me astray with their glowing recommendations of the property. So far, I'm underwhelmed. I'll update this review after my visit.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank elljays

We are honored that you selected our hotel for such a special occasion and our team is always willing to do what we can to make a stay memorable. We are very sorry for the poor impression we've already given you due to the many call transfers you experienced prior to arrival. We hope that you kept your reservation and had a wonderful time! If you ever need assistance on your reservations please don’t hesitate to contact our Reservations Supervisor Pauline at pdacosta@sonesta.com.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed there for St Patrick's Day. I used livingsocial certificates and had no problem with the desk in using them. The room was an accessible room and was very clean. I was put in a room that had doors leading out to the pool on the third floor. The beds were very comfortable but they need to do something about the pillows which were too soft. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The doorman always had a smile on his face and greeted everyone that came through the door. I ate at the restaurants in the hotel and can say that the food was good but a bit pricey. This is one of the best hotels in the French Quarter and the jazz club inside the hotel was packed every night. If you want to hear good jazz this is the place to go. This hotel is on Bourbon Street and can get a little noisy in the front, so ask for a room near the rear. This is an expensive hotel but worth the price. If you can take advantage of using livingsocial certificates, do it! You won't regret it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends