“The best hotel in New Orleans!”

Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #28 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 2 February 2011

This is the most excellent hotel in New Orleans. I always stay at the Royal Sonesta and I'm NEVER disappointed! The staff is remarkable and efficient. The concierge staff is the best I've ever encountered and I've traveled quite a bit! Rooms are clean and comfortable. I enjoy staying in the balcony rooms and hearing the music and laughter coming from the street!
I have read some of the bad reviews here on Trip Advisor and I have a few things to say. First, if you are angered by music, loud folks, and bars then perhaps New Orleans isn't the best vacation spot for you. Second, never ever leave anything unlocked ie: balcony, room, etc. New Orleans is known for it's crime and is a major city and you should be smart enough to be vigilant.
This is an AMAZING hotel and I highly recommend it!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
DDGDDG, Manager at Royal Sonesta New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2011

We are thrilled to hear that we have earned your loyalty, and will continue to work hard to ensure that we NEVER disappoint. Other’s share your high opinion of our concierge team. We receive numerous positive comments about Russell and Milton. I have lived here my entire life and still seek there advice and recommendations on restaurants and new attractions.

Reviewed 30 January 2011

The Royal Sonesta was a nice hotel but for the price was average. What stood out to us was the EXCELLENT customer service. Malcom the door man was a gem! The hotel is so lucky to have such a great employee representing their hotel. He made us feel at home not only at the hotel but New Orleans as well. Other oustanding employees were Asia, Chuck, Virgil, Coop and Ashley!

The room was a bit of a disappointment as there was not a fridge or microwave for our use. The toliet must have been put in during the first civil war. The water pressure was coming out of the faucet at an eye droppers pace.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business

In a historical section like the French Quarter sometimes there are municipal issues beyond our control as it relates to water pressure, but we have asked our engineering team to test our systems to make sure that there are no issues with the hotels systems. But we sincerely regret any inconvenience you may have experienced no matter what the cause. A multi-million dollar renovation of guest room décor and carpets is in progress. However, after years in the hotel business we can say with confidence “these are the easy things to fix”. In the end it is the personal touch and dedication of the front line staff that makes the difference between a good hotel and a great hotel. Thank you for the glowing and personalized comments about our associates. Please come and see us again soon and let us know what you think of our progress.

Reviewed 28 January 2011

The hotel itself is all things you want a French Quarter hotel to be. Charming, old world style with great jazz and AMAZING food. Rooms are well appointed and comfortable. If you want quiet, be sure to ask for a room off of Bourbon St.

I was here with a conference and I have to say that the food was amazing. I eat a lot of hotel rubber chicken meals and the food here was outstanding. The service staff were incredible. Professional, gracious and frankly a delight to watch with their coordination and precision. And again, the food... wow. WOW.

Concierge Russell Murphy is a joy. A true ambassador for the hotel and for New Orleans. I can't say enough about his professionalism, knowledge and obvious pride in his city.

All of that said, I have to comment on the bell staff. Horrible. Rude, surly and openly complained to my guests about their tips. Not all of them, but 3 older gentlemen in particular were always there and were always nasty. I demanded my tip back from one, he made me so angry.

The conference rooms are a bit tired and could use a refresh, but they are large and the staff is wonderfully responsive so the hotel is a good value for business meetings. *NOTE wireless internet service is spotty throughout the hotel.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel. Just don't ask the bell staff for anything and you should have a wonderfully pleasant experience. Definitely go to Desire and eat everything on the menu, then take your place at the bar at Begue's and watch the Bourbon St. craziness before retiring to your comfy room.

1  Thank sylver71

In New Orleans we a blessed with a bounty of culinary talent, and we are lucky to have some of THE best in the city on our team. But food is only one part of the equation. The experience is not complete unless the service is equally exceptional. And based on your comments it looks like delivered on both counts. However, our Director of Front Office operations was appalled and embarrassed when he read your comments regarding our Bell Staff. This is so contrary to the norm for that department. He is investigating the situation with his entire staff to ensure this NEVER happens again. We are hopeful that you will return for another conference or a personal visit soon.

Reviewed 27 January 2011

This was our first time at the Royal Sonesta. We arrived early on Friday (noon) and they were able to check us in which was great. We had reserved a king, but they only had doubles available. Kind of a bummer. They said to come back and check with them for available kings. We did, but none were ever available. We had gotten an awesome promo rate on this hotel, so I'm assuming that's why we weren't a bit higher in the priority line for a king room. No biggie though.

Very nice room, large flat screen TV, comfortable beds. The pillows are VERY soft though, too soft for my liking. Husband liked them. I would have preferred a few more pillow choices since that's a big determining factor in quality of sleep. This is a quality hotel... hopefully they'll add a pillow menu soon.

Sleep quality here is a 3/5. It's easy to hear Bourbon Street booming well into the wee hours. But, what do you expect when you're staying in a hotel ON BOURBON STREET? Exactly! :) Just have a few more hurricanes and falling asleep is easy!

Other amenities: The bathroom toiletries were nice, I always appreciate high quality bathroom products. Cabs are readily available if you need to go outside of the French Quarter. Front desk, waiters, bellman, etc are all at the ready to help. Wifi is free, but slow. The pool deck on level three is gorgeous, hope to see it again in warmer temperatures.

Definitely stop into Irvin Mayfield's and Desire while you're there. The late night music in Irvin Mayfield's is not to be missed (especially when a brass band is playing) and the Plaquemines Hurricanes in Desire are yum yum.

Overall, we'd definitely stay here again -- beautiful property in a great location with fantastic staff!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business

Your comment “We’d definitely stay here again” is what we strive for. You also commented …”the pool deck on level three is gorgeous; hope to see it again in warmer temperatures…” Summer is the slow season in New Orleans so please do come back and see us soon. Sun bathing on our pool deck while sipping on one of those famous hurricane cocktails you mentioned is also…yum, yum.

Reviewed 26 January 2011

I wanted to stay close to Bourbon Street and this hotel sure fit the bill. I believe it was the only hotel actually on Bourbon Street. Never being to NOLA before, I didn't realize how much I didn't want to stay directly on Bourbon Street. However, it was an awesome refuge from the sights and sounds on Bourbon Street. The hotel was fantastic. It was clean, elegant and very close to everything. I did purchase the free wi-fi and couldn't even get onto the internet, but that was the only probalm I had with the place. It's wonderfully decorated but did get a bit noisy during our Saturday night stay. I would definaley recommend it but I'm not sure I would stay there again. I would probably choose someplace farther away from the partying nightlife.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends

We have seen comments like…”an oasis from the madness...”, or …”elegant retreat from Bourbon Street” used to describe our hotel numerous times. When you return to New Orleans for you next visit you may want to give us one more try and look into booking one of our R Club Concierge Level rooms. They are located in the 7th floor tower, which requires key card access …very quiet. A dedicated concierge, daily full breakfast and evening cocktails and snacks are all part of the R-Club experience. We are working closely with our internet provider to elevate the speed and consistency of our service, and this slowness you experienced may have already been solved.

Reviewed 18 January 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Royal Sonesta. It's a lovely hotel, especially at the holidays. The staff was friendly and courteous and the the location is perfect.

We will stay at the Royal Sonesta on our next visit to New Orleans.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
DDGDDG, Manager at Royal Sonesta New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2011

A perfect stay ! That is always our goal for every guest. We hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again very soon. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 12 January 2011

Our stay here was wonderful. The restaurant was exceptional. We enjoyed a huge breakfast that carried us until dinner. The service was unbelievably warm and attentive. Ruthie Clark waited on us and made us feel like royalty. The food was delicious, beautiful and plentiful. Mrs. Ruthie made sure we never wanted anything but anticipated our requests. She has worked there for a long time, I think I heard 25 or 30 years. No wonder, she is amazing. Thank you Mrs. Ruthie for making us feel special. You are the one we remember from our visit to New Orleans. We can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends

To know Miss Ruthie is to love Miss Ruthie. You are correct she make’s everyone feel special. She has offered our guests that same warmth and attentive service for decades. We have scores of repeat guests who seek her out. We are privileged to have her on our team. We will ensure she sees your comments. Thank you.