“Loved Hotel St. Marie”

Ranked #62 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Hoffman Estates, IL
“Loved Hotel St. Marie”
Reviewed 14 May 2011

We just returned from a 2 night stay at the Hotel St. Marie and were very pleased. The location is perfect. Just steps away from Bourbon St. and all the action but far enough away to be quiet. We had a courtyard facing balcony on the 3rd floor (room 302). The room was spacious (nice since there were 3 of us) and we loved having dressing area separate from the bathroom. The hotel is old but I think that just adds to it's charm. the public areas and our room were very clean. I checked the website ahead of time to see if there was free internet and it said there was free internet access(wired, I assumed) in the rooms and free wireless in the public areas. When we arrived we found out that there was free wireless in the rooms too. The only down side was the lack of furniture on the balcony. A few rooms had furniture out there but not all. At first I thought we could just pull the 2 chairs from the room out there whenever we wanted to sit out there but that didn't work because the french door leading to the balcony only opened on one side and it was a very narrow opening (about 18") so there was no way we could get the chairs through the opening. If being able to sit on your balcony is important to you ask for a room that has balcony furniture or at the very least a room that both sides of the french door will open so you can bring the room chairs out. a couple across the courtyard from us could open both of their french doors and brought their room furniture out. Ours was painted shut. this was not a big deal to us though. We didn't use the pool or go sit in the courtyard but it looked very nice. I would not hesitate to stay at the Hotel St. Marie again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony furniture.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2011

This is a lovely old hotel in the heart of the French Quarter, a stone's throw from Bourbon Street. It is in a perfect location for exploring New Orleans, and while Bourbon Street is pretty hectic, it's far enough away to not get any of the audible sounds of debauchery, making for a good night's sleep. The decor of the hotel is lovely, and the rooms are comfortable enough. The problem is the service. Breakfast consists of croissant, apples or oranges - and that's pretty much it. You can hardly call it continental - no cereal, no yoghurt, no cheese, no meat, no bread (unless you include the croissants). One morning most of the food had run out, along with the coffee. One guest explained the situation politely to a member of staff, and was left with the impression that he was wasting her time. Our room wasn't cleaned at all one day. However, we could hear the cleaners as they were arguing so loudly that we could hear them from the other end of the corridor. It was so loud that we decided to go out early for the evening. There are better places to stay in New Orleans, which is a shame as it is just the service that lets it down. I put all this info in a feedback form which I left with reception, along with my contact details. I haven't had any response from them - I doubt if I will.

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dan744
Reviewed 9 May 2011

The location is perfect, just a few steps off Boubon St, yet once inside it is peace and quiet! Beautiful room and couryard. Elevator was slow. Upon preparing to leave the bellman came up to our room and loaded ALL our belongings onto the cart and left to take them to our car that was parked in the hotel garage all during our stay. We checked out and went to the rear entrance of the hotel and garage. The cart was empty, trunk closed and the bellman stated "all ready to go", he was tipped and we departed. Upon arrival home 16 hours later, we noticed that one of the two shopping bags full of memories from our trip was not in the trunk. We called the hotel and have talked to them twice so far. They are at a loss, not sure what happen, checked the security video and said it was at a poor angle. We do not think the established employee would take a bag of New Orleans mementos but that someone walked by and picked up the bag and just walked away unnoticed. We now have lost so many things we purchased to add to our collection of New Orleans decor. It has taught us never to leave our possessions out of our sight....sad but no one can be trusted. And it is disappointing that a hotel of this stature would not have better security when entrusted with guests belongings. I just hope this never happens to anyone else.....it is unsettleing at least. We will stay here again but will not let anyone handle our things but us!

Room Tip: be exact in what type of room and view you want
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rebeccajm
california
Reviewed 8 May 2011

We were with the" tourguideshanenae" party of 16 and our only complaint was the very thin blankets on very thin mattresses, the elevator was slow and at one time passing up our floor twice despite pushing the buttons relentlessly, the ice machine location all the way in the main floor made it very inconvenient to keep our beers cold when our room was located on the 5th floor but mostly the temperamental affects of the air conditioning system from hot to cold throughout the night. As far as the staff, our so called experience with "Lestat" was a friendly one so much so that at the wee hours of the morning my highly intoxicated husband was given a personal ghostly tour at his request..however he did fail to listen to the customer "shananae" while making arrangements for their travel to the airport. I guess you could say he was a lot like your air conditioning system ..sometimes warm and hospitable and sometimes cold as ice!! Overall we can't complain... because we had the company of great friends in a fabulous city...until next time Nawlins...and Hotel St. Marie.

Room Tip: On the 1st floor !!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 May 2011

We are just back from our trip to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday over the Jazz Fest weekend with about 15 of our friends, most of whom stayed here. (By the way, we were loud and my apologies to those that we disturbed) I booked it on the travelocity super secret hotel feature, so although I was familiar with the hotels in the area I was not sure what I would get until after it was booked. The hotel is old, which you expect in the French Quarter, but the courtyard and the pool area are nice and the location is excellent. The service was awful, the front desk checked me in without ever making eye contact, despite my attempts to be friendly. The night before we were scheduled to leave I tried to get information from the front desk about checking out, travel to the airport etc since we were leaving on a Tuesday morning early and I was not sure about typical traffic conditions during high commuting hours. The guy at the desk (if you have read Anne Rice and know the LeStat character, you will know who I am talking about) was nice enough, but so busy "knowing it all" that I could not really even ask a question, he kept assuring me that it was all taken care of. We did not get our wakeup call because the ringer on the phone did not work, but we arrived in the lobby at the appointed 6:30 time to catch our ride to the airport. When the time came and went, we asked where our ride was and were basically instructed to be patient. Luckily, he instructed me to make sure I had my "reciept for the airport shuttle"....which I did NOT have as we were not taking the shuttle and had not taken the shuttle. If it were not for the offhand comment from him we would not have discovered that he had assumed we were on the shuttle and we would have missed the flight out. Again...the guy was not unfriendly but way to busy knowing more than us and not approachable.
You should also know there is only one ice machine located on the first floor, and only one really slow elevator that broke pretty much every day stranding people each day we were there. If you can, try to get a room with a balcony, well worth the price. Beds were terrible with springs that stuck in the back....
Also- no bar and no restaurant in the hotel which would have been nice although we did hit the store and bought a small cooler for $5 at Rousse....

Room Tip: get the balcony rooms if you can....
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank tourguideshanenee
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Just came back from a wonderful trip to New Orleans with my cousins. We found the Hotel St Marie to be a very lovely hotel. The rooms were quite large and loved the balcony. The beds were not the best but were quite comfortable. I had no problem with the bathroom arrangement although some reviews mention the small door separating the tiolet area from the dressing area I did not feel that was a big deal. Loved having 2 seperate mirrors and a large walk in closet especially when you are sharing with someone. Very quiet even though you are only half a block from Bourbon street. Also found the rooms themselves to be quiet. Slept very well. Great location, you are walking distance of everything. The staff was very nice and helpful. A special thanks to Amy at the front desk and Simon. We are the group of ladies from Texas that I think really made an impression on the staff, what with our Red Hats and jokes, I think they will understand. We had such a great time that we have decided to go back again next year and we would not think of staying anywhere but the Hotel St Marie. The St Marie won my heart. Highly recommend it over a big hotel chain. Very quaint with New Orleans charm.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights one or which was the last day of the french quarter festival. It is an excellent location to stay at but if you get a room facing Toulouse street be prepared to hear singing and trucks all night long...rooms are ok a little outdated but comfortable. Breakfast is basic but you can find good breakfast joints close to this hotel. service was excellent...everyone always ready to help.

Room Tip: Ask for a room inside the courtyard
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends