“Great location - great stay.”
Review of Hotel St. Marie

Hotel St. Marie
Ranked #57 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Gurnee, Illinois
“Great location - great stay.”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Was a little wary of the low price, but turned out to be a great stay. One word of caution, the first night I got a room by the elevator, which squeaked every time it went up and down - but the front desk clerk changed it for me to a super quiet, super comfortable room the next night.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
Douglasville, GA
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Thanks to Trip Advisor, I've learned to mention it whenever possible. I think it made our trip to New Orleans (hotel, restaurants, activities) all the more better because it seems they are trying harder to please me.

We chose a room on the 2nd floor with a balcony on the street. It had plenty of room, was nicely decorated, and although a little outdated, was perfect for the location. The staff went over and beyond to make our stay nice. We both loved the restaurant and bar. It was nice to have for a lazy to-go meal or a nightcap after hanging on Bourbon Street.

Be aware that parking (very safe and protected parking) is $30/day. I thought about parking at Harrah's and walking to play slots 30 minutes each day for free parking, but the weather was yucky and I didn't want that commitment.

I also totally recommend bringing a nice blanket as the bed linens are on the thin side. We read that garbage trucks, sirens, etc. from the street would keep us awake, so I brought music to drown out everything. It worked fine.

Place d'Armes is owned by the same group and seems to have a nicer location (for us). I'd like to try it next time (it was full when we made our reservations).

Room Tip: King beds with balconies will put you on the 2nd floor. I read to bring chairs. We forgot them, bu...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
hoover, alabama
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed at the Hotel St Marie on Nov.24. I compared its rates to a number of other hotels in the French Quarter and found the rate there so inexpensive I was almost afraid to stay. It was a very nice surprise. The location was great and the room was large, the beds very comfortable and the decor very nice. The staff was helpful and very pleasant. I will stay there in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Alexandria, Louisiana
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Last minute reservation resulted in being refered to this hotel by a partner hotel. Rate was reasonable and lobby was very nice. Elevator was nice but the hallway was dated. Upon entering the room I was quite surprised in regards to the condition of the room. The beds were old with avaerage linens. Pillows poor. Furniture was kind of lined up against the wall and was very dated in a non vintage way. The carpet was threadbare down to the foundation and looked dirty. Wallpaper was being held up with tape. Walls were grimmy. Venner on door chipped. It appeared as if there had been a fight in the room as the lamp shade was all dented up!. Things were so old that the chrome had rubbed off the spout in the tub/shower. Usually I would ask for another room but were told it was the last one. We went to bed and rested well. The room did have a balcony which overlooked a pretty courtyard. Next morning when I asked to see the manager I was told he does not come on the weekends. No night manager? I voiced my complaint and the reception person was apologetic but in an unsincere way. He did offer to take my number for the manager to call me.
I received call Monday morning and manager apologized but stated he would have to go look at the room. He called back 3 hours later and gave me a nice partial refund and stated that the hotel was undergoing renovations and that room had not been done yet. You would think he would know which floors had been done. So while the staff was nice etc. the condition of our room leads to this poor rating as I can not say what the other rooms look like right now and while I got a discount I also should have received a comp room for a one night stay to show me that indeed they have nice room worthy of more stars and teh full rate. Just be sure to ask for a renovated room.

Room Tip: Renovated room looking out onto courtyard.
Petaluma, California
Reviewed 12 November 2013

At $300/night I expected to be able to sit out on the little balcony ($20 extra!) but the chairs were too big to fit through the narrow door. As it turned out the smokers in adjoining rooms and down below in the courtyard kept us indoors anyway as the fumes came right up and into the room. Consequently the room was dark and stuffy. We did not want a "corporate" hotel so the basic accommodations were okay, though the tub didn't drain and we got no wi-fi in the room as advertised. The staff was for the most part friendly and helpful. The location is indeed in the heart of the Quarter near Bourbon street but quiet nevertheless (except for the slamming room doors!). However since its so easy to trolley and walk the area I would try somewhere on the edge of the Quarter next time, away from the "glitz" but still with the character, history and charm of the area. I am curious about the "deals" and "great rates" mentioned by others. I thought it was way overpriced! I would not stay here again, nor would I recommend it.

Room Tip: If smoke is an issue don't get a room with window on inner courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
South Deerfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We had our daughters wedding in New Orleans and at least 70 of our guest stayed at St Marie's. It is truly a New Orleans experience. Some of the rooms were old but that just added to the character of the hotel. They have great balcony's, court yard, and a perfect location. The staff was very accommodating. We also had the welcome drinks party and breakfast brunch at the hotel. The food was excellent and Claire was such a pleasure to work with. Everything went perfect!

1 Thank Moetax
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel has potential to be a great boutique hotel in the French Quarter. Instead, it seems to have an identity crisis. They need to decide what tourist segment is their customer base, then renovate and re manage appropriately.

The location is ideal - about a couple blocks off of Bourbon St in the middle of the French Quarter. You can walk everywhere - great restaurants, shops, museums, cemeteries, and obviously, the iconic Bourbon St.

The hotel is tired. Furniture and carpet are worn,torn and stained. Curtains ripped. Mattresses are firm but springs squeak with little movement. Doors slam, no matter how carefully you try to shut them. Door to bathroom is a slatted closet door that doesn't latch.

Overall, the room was clean, though some long curly hair on the bathroom floor survived the first cleaning. The second morning I purposely put my wet towel on it and it was then removed!

Front desk staff were very friendly. They may be understaffed though. We arrived at 5:30p.m. On a Thursday. Got to our room and found the safe didn't work. Called the desk and she said she would be right up. Waited over an hour (closing in on dinner reservation) and called again. She said there were only 2 staff there and they both were engaged but she would be up soon. Very friendly and professional when she arrived, but it wasn't something she could fix so she said she would put in a work order. Never did get fixed.

Staff in cafe were so nice. Great smoothies and coffee(free refills!), and bottles of water to take with you on your jaunt around the quarter. Housekeeping staff should be reminded that yelling down the halls to each other and swearing in front of guests is not good.

Courtyard rooms had nice view of courtyard and protected from noise from street. Balcony too small to sit on, but still a nice feature and nice to have door open for breeze.

Got a deal on the room, so overall fine. If they want to cater to Bourbon St partyers, they are all set. Just can't help but think what an ideal boutique hotel this could be if they cleaned up and made a few upgrades. We certainly would have paid more. They have so much potential and the location is perfect!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple