“Amazing Location, we were just there for sleeping and getting ready...”
Review of Hotel St. Marie

Hotel St. Marie
Ranked #61 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
New York City, New York
“Amazing Location, we were just there for sleeping and getting ready...”
Reviewed 4 June 2009

I'm not sure who goes to New Orleans to stay in the room, between the food, partying , sight-seeing and jazz- that would be silly.

This hotel is the perfect location, just far enough (1 block) off Bourbon so it's quiet enough to sleep but a stone's throw from everything.

The room we had was fine, two queen beds with a balcony. Clean, no frills. The decor was antique-ish, the bathroom door had slits so it would be strange to be there with a partner on a first trip together. The staff was nice, we had to keep going to them to use the safe deposit box which was in the lobby.

The breakfast was less then mediocre but who needs breakfast when you can just walk 5 minutes to Cafe du Monde?

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank Real_Travel_Gatos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 2 June 2009

I've stayed at this hotel twice. The first time was about 4 years ago, and I chose this hotel because the price was great, and the location seemed ideal. At the time, those were the most important criteria, and I didn't expect much regarding the room or the service - just looking for a clean place to sleep. However, I was very pleasantly surprised when we checked in that the rooms were larger than expected for a boutique hotel, the courtyard was beautiful, and the place had tons of charm without feeling dirty or run down. I felt like I'd found some secret deal!
For this trip, I researched hotels again, with the intention of splurging on something really nice, since my priorities have changed a bit! But I couldn't find a place with a better location that didn't make me feel leary about getting my money's worth. So I booked a room at this hotel on Expedia, and they included a free balcony upgrade. We arrived at 11am, and luckily, our room was ready. I would say that you may be dissappointed with spending the extra money on a balcony room since most of them are so small that you can't fit a chair on them. But, we lucked out with (I think) the only large balcony. It was shared with another room, but so nice to be able to relax out there with a drink and get off our feet for a bit. We didn't use the pool, but it looked clean, and people were swimming. The free continental breakfast was basic - pastries, coffee and OJ, but there was champagne for mimosas on Saturday.
As for service, everyone was friendly enough, and we didn't really require anything extra. The desk staff didn't seem very interested in giving recommendations (where to get an easy dinner, Garden District tour), but they were pleasant. They were great on Sunday, tho - we had to check out at 11, but didn't need to get to the airport for several hours. They let us keep our bags there and had a cab waiting for us when we told them we'd be leaving. And, conveniently, they had a computer available in the lobby to check in and print your boarding passes for your flight!
Oh, and while this hotel is only 1/2 a block off Bourbon street, the noise should not keep you up at night. We never heard a thing with the air conditioner on!
I have stayed at 3 other hotels in the French Quarter, one cheaper, and two much more expensive, but this is the hotel I will keep coming back to for future visits!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AMescape
nyc
Reviewed 1 June 2009

Hotel was fine, normal. Nothing special. Reservations manager was on vacation for 3 weeks while they charged my credit card twice - he was rude and hostile upon return. Their idea of service is despicable - good luck.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank allsmiles84
basinststation, Owner at Hotel St. Marie, responded to this review, 4 June 2009
Our hotel records are clear that we have been responsive to all inquires. The second charge on the credit card was due to a non-cancelled, no-show room reserved. Our hotel has performed appropriately in all matters related to this reservation.

Michael Valentino
Managing Partner
Chicago
Reviewed 29 May 2009

My husband and I went to New Orleans for our Honeymoon. When we arrived at the hotel, they upgraded us to a suite right in front of the pool. The room was fantastic and oozing with new world conveniences nestled in old-world charm. The staff was terrific and the location (spitting distance to Bourbon St) was awesome. After paying for a wedding, we had a limited budget for our Honeymoon and the Hotel St. Marie really came through for us. We are already planning our 1 year and 5 year anniversaries at this hotel. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank efinnegan81
Indianapolis
Reviewed 29 May 2009

Me and a friend decided to head down to NOLA for New Years. I looked for hours and hours and made calls to different hotels looking for the best place in the best location. I talked to the lady from the Hotel St. Marie and she sounded sincere with everything she was telling me so we booked it.

When we got there we were 8 hours to early. After getting parked (which is kinda expensive) and putting the luggage in check we still had almost 8 hours until we could check in. We walked around for a little while then came back and they had hurried to get our room clean and we were able to get in about 6 hours early. That was nice.

The hotel itself is very clean. Very nice place. Very comfortable beds. We had a balcony that was right over the entrance. It was a shared balcony with two other rooms. You could see Bourban from the balcony. Bourban is about a 20 second walk from the front door by the way. The noise isnt a problem at all though.

The staff was very good. They were around at all times to make sure we had the best stay possible.

I will certainly go back to the Hotel St Marie!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank hotrod13120
Goteed1
Reviewed 26 May 2009

I booked this hotel mostly based on the rave reviews here and I guess I set my expectations a tad too high. This is a nice okay hotel if you can get a good rate. I have been to New orleans many times, so I really didn't need front desk help. Check in was easy and polite, they gave me the room I asked for, a balcony room on the Dauphine Street side.

The courtyard is sweet but small and the pool is really too small to swim in. I don't think the courtyard would be someplace you could hang out for any length of time.

The room was ok. Charm in New Orleans actually means peeling paint, old plumbing and outdated technology. The room could use an update, but nothing that was really that bad. (Old small TV, There is an about an inch gap from the bottom of the door to the floor, 1 lamp didn't work, some peeling paint) The balcony was great however, and made up for the shortcomings in the room. Also, I'm real picky about bathrooms and this one passed the test. It has been updated and had plenty of counterspace.

Maid service was A-1 and never bothered me when I hung out the Do Not Disturb sign, sometimes til noon, but the room was also spotless when I got back to the hotel in the evenings.

ALSO, if you are a light sleeper or like to go to bed early, there will be a noise issue if you are staying on the Dauphine side. It never bothered me at all, because when I went to bed it was late and I was sufficiently liquored up, so that noise wouldn't bother me, but on weekends especially, lots of noisy traffic with radios blaring and in the morning, the famous Street cleaners make a lot of noise.

One big plus for me was the free-wifi throughout the hotel. Worked like a charm and usually costs $10-$15 a day at most chain hotels.

Also, the free breakfast is something you shouldn't bother about. It's coffee and Costco danish. Literally thats it and it not really presented in a way you'd want to eat it. The little breakfast room is pretty grim altogether and this is not really a big plus for staying here.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay with polite staff and an okay room, but I wouldn't feel driven to stay here again and would recommend it only if you can get a really good rate.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
New York
Reviewed 21 May 2009

I stayed at the Hotel St. Marie for a long weekend get-away with a friend (who found the hotel). The hotel is fabulously located on Toulouse Street, one block up from Bourbon Street in the heart of the French Quarter. The hotel is a wee old and its one elevator can be a bit slow. Our first room was on the second floor facing Toulouse and the minute we entered the room we could hear the noise from Bourbon Street. After we requested a quieter room, the front desk immediately moved us to a room on the 5th floor that faced a quieter side street. The window in the room was very small, but we were not in the room that much during the day anyway.

Our room's decor was dated, to say the least, but served its purpose. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. The hotel offers free continental breakfast, but we never took advantage of it. The hotel has a lovely courtyard with lush plants and a small outdoor pool. I believe that there is free wi-fi in the courtyard as well. The hotel's employees were extremely friendly and helpful. They arranged for cabs for us and were quite helpful with directions.

I would definitely recommend the Hotel St. Marie for it's location alone.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends