“You get what you pay for”
Review of Hotel St. Marie

Hotel St. Marie
Ranked #61 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
San Diego
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 14 June 2009

When looking for a hotel in New Orleans, we wanted a reasonable room in a good location. Well, you get what you pay for. The hotel has that over air conditioned smell, you know like when you go to an old casino? The smell was so strong that after I got home and washed my clothes, I could still smell it! As for the room, the turquoise walls and matching bedspread were a bit offputting. The room was clean, but it seems someone kept a dog in the bathroom from the chewed up door I got to look at every time I had to pee. The breakfast "buffet" was basically bad coffee, fake OJ and a pastry. If you stay here go look for breakfast elsewhere. You'll be glad you did. On the plus side, the courtyard was nice. But I hope you don't mind smokers, cause that's where they all hung out. All in all, I wouldn't stay there again. Some of the staff were nice, some didn't know what the heck they were talking about. Pick someplace else, I highly recommend the Bourbon Orleans. Try there you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank BoraBoraGirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
MO
Reviewed 11 June 2009

We have stayed in several hotels in New Orleans! Trust me, you will not be disappointed. The room was amazing! The staff was more then responsive. We received the highest quality service from the moment we entered the hotel. The room was cleaned immaculately! The atmosphere of the hotel invites the guest to relax and enjoy. It is a great hotel for anyone, we will definitely go back! Trust me it beats the other hotels by value and style.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 9 June 2009

We stayed a single night in Hotel St. Marie in June of 2009. It was the perfect location and the best price in the french quarter. The hotel staff was helpful and polite if not overly exuberant.

All parking for the hotel is valet and the garage is very small. They did not have a problem with our car but those traveling with over sized vehicles might want to call the hotel first and make sure they can accommodate you.

The room we stayed in was a double double and it was spacious and clean. Our window overlooked Toulouse Street so there was not much of a view but who spends any time in the hotel room in the French Quarter anyway. Since the hotel was about a block off Bourbon Street the room was quite at night.

Good budget hotel in a truly excellent location. What more could you ask for.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank RobertLW
Concord, California
Reviewed 8 June 2009

My wife and I just returned from a six day trip to New Orleans and loved every minute of it. The St. Marie is a great hotel, with awesome staff and a perfect location.... Our room was on the back side over looking Dauphine (great HUGE balcony). Granted the mornings were kind of noisy with garbage and delivery trucks driving by, but the balcony, view, and location made up for it... (They do have interior balcony rooms that our freinds stayed in, but the balconies are 1/4 the size, much quiter though).
For advise on places to or things to do talk to John Marshall or Brad, they won't stear you wrong. Thanks again guys.
This is an old building with a lot of character, just the kind of place we wanted to stay in when visiting this historic city... If you want frills this isn't for you, stay at the Hyatt if you want cookie cutter hotels... But we couldn't be happier with the St. Marie... WILL DEFINETLY STAY AGAIN... SOON..

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ericarrie
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 June 2009

I'm not sure who goes to New Orleans to stay in the room, between the food, partying , sight-seeing and jazz- that would be silly.

This hotel is the perfect location, just far enough (1 block) off Bourbon so it's quiet enough to sleep but a stone's throw from everything.

The room we had was fine, two queen beds with a balcony. Clean, no frills. The decor was antique-ish, the bathroom door had slits so it would be strange to be there with a partner on a first trip together. The staff was nice, we had to keep going to them to use the safe deposit box which was in the lobby.

The breakfast was less then mediocre but who needs breakfast when you can just walk 5 minutes to Cafe du Monde?

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank Real_Travel_Gatos
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 2 June 2009

I've stayed at this hotel twice. The first time was about 4 years ago, and I chose this hotel because the price was great, and the location seemed ideal. At the time, those were the most important criteria, and I didn't expect much regarding the room or the service - just looking for a clean place to sleep. However, I was very pleasantly surprised when we checked in that the rooms were larger than expected for a boutique hotel, the courtyard was beautiful, and the place had tons of charm without feeling dirty or run down. I felt like I'd found some secret deal!
For this trip, I researched hotels again, with the intention of splurging on something really nice, since my priorities have changed a bit! But I couldn't find a place with a better location that didn't make me feel leary about getting my money's worth. So I booked a room at this hotel on Expedia, and they included a free balcony upgrade. We arrived at 11am, and luckily, our room was ready. I would say that you may be dissappointed with spending the extra money on a balcony room since most of them are so small that you can't fit a chair on them. But, we lucked out with (I think) the only large balcony. It was shared with another room, but so nice to be able to relax out there with a drink and get off our feet for a bit. We didn't use the pool, but it looked clean, and people were swimming. The free continental breakfast was basic - pastries, coffee and OJ, but there was champagne for mimosas on Saturday.
As for service, everyone was friendly enough, and we didn't really require anything extra. The desk staff didn't seem very interested in giving recommendations (where to get an easy dinner, Garden District tour), but they were pleasant. They were great on Sunday, tho - we had to check out at 11, but didn't need to get to the airport for several hours. They let us keep our bags there and had a cab waiting for us when we told them we'd be leaving. And, conveniently, they had a computer available in the lobby to check in and print your boarding passes for your flight!
Oh, and while this hotel is only 1/2 a block off Bourbon street, the noise should not keep you up at night. We never heard a thing with the air conditioner on!
I have stayed at 3 other hotels in the French Quarter, one cheaper, and two much more expensive, but this is the hotel I will keep coming back to for future visits!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AMescape
nyc
Reviewed 1 June 2009

Hotel was fine, normal. Nothing special. Reservations manager was on vacation for 3 weeks while they charged my credit card twice - he was rude and hostile upon return. Their idea of service is despicable - good luck.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank allsmiles84
basinststation, Owner at Hotel St. Marie, responded to this review, 4 June 2009
Our hotel records are clear that we have been responsive to all inquires. The second charge on the credit card was due to a non-cancelled, no-show room reserved. Our hotel has performed appropriately in all matters related to this reservation.

Michael Valentino