“The best hotel ever!”

Ranked #57 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“The best hotel ever!”
Reviewed 17 November 2010

I loved this hotel. It was a delightful surprise and more than I ever could have imagined. We had our own balcony, the room was clean and nicely decorated and only a few blocks off of Bourbon St. The courtyard rooms looked nice as well and would be a bit quieter, but overall the folks that work at this hotel and the amenities, the whole experience, was top notch. The hotel is in walking distance of just about everything. I turned 50 with the luff of my life in grand style at this lovely hotel in the French Quarter. I would definitely return. Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Only 1/2 block from Bourbon St.We had a huge room with 2 queen beds and a balcony looking towards Bourbon and the river,would stay here again if I was staying 2 nites or more,the only complaint I have is this place has a 2 nite minimum stay for special events and weekends.Our room did not stink or had any mold,yes it is a older hotel but you are in the heart of the French Quarter.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BandBAdventures
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Great location, half a block from Bourbon Street in the French Quarter. Off the main drag far enough for some peace & quiet. Worth the extra $ to get a room overlooking the tranquil courtyard and pool. Spacious room, decor is a bit dated, but the bathroom was sparkling clean. Free internet was a plus. Free breakfast was lame: stale croissants and apples, nothing more. Staff was mediocre, front desk was always busy while the valet sat there doing nothing and couldn't answer basic questions. Reserve & pay in advance on their web site for really good price deals. I'd go back.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank toddinparis
Texas
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I stayed at The Hotel St. Marie last night. Usually I stay at another hotel but it was sold out. I selected Hotel St. Marie due to the price of $139 but I really expected more for the money after reading the reviews here. I was very disappointed as the place is old and needs TLC. The only good thing was the location.

The room was very basic and smelled like mildew. The bed was uncomfortable and the pillows were flat and hard. The toilet ran every 10 minutes all night long. The shower was very "spitty".

I will not stay here again. There are too many other historic hotels in New Orleans to choose from that have a lot of charm, and where "historic" doesn't mean "old and rundown".

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I chose this hotel due to its location, price, the fact that they have balconies and the reviews on this site. We arrived around 10:00am after a short ride from the airport. Check-in was I believe 4:00 and we hoped we could drop off our bags and explore the city. After a quick call to housekeeping, Amy surprised us by saying we could check in right then. Amy was a delight, she asked us if this was our first time to New Orleans (it was), when she saw us leaving the hotel she ask what our plans were, and upon our return she would ask how we enjoyed ourselves. While I'm on the subject of the front desk, I'd like to thank Rachael for coordinating a taxi to the train station and our wake-up call both of which were on time. Also a shout-out to the young man with the long hair who offered to brew a fresh pot of coffee at 5:00 am so I wouldn't have to drink what he called "dreg coffee".

Now on to the room. The beds were a little on the soft side for our liking and the spread had seen better days. But the room was clean and housekeeping did a good job our entire stay. As an apartment dwelling New Yorker, I usually choose a hotel with a balcony to get a little outdoor space. Room 214 had one of those black wrought-iron balconies you have seen photos or on television. It was large enough for 3 chairs and a large round table. If you look down the street you can see paddle-wheelers going along the Mississippi. Now a little warning. This street runs perpendicular to Bourbon Street which is less than a block away. Many people come to New Orleans and spend their entire vacation on Bourbon Street due to the fact the bars are open 24/7, and some have never left. We were there the first week in November, so when we closed the balcony door to sleep it block out the street nicely. If you are there during the warmer months, you will hear the noise. There is also a continental breakfast offered daily from 6am to 10am, the coffee is hot and the danish is fresh.

The Hotel St. Marie is in a great location to explore the city. The Mississippi River and Bourbon Street are right down the from the hotel. Canal Street is a short walk away and it's streetcars will connect with the rest of the system.

If we go back, we'll stay here again.

Alabama
Reviewed 14 November 2010

The lobby is lovely, the staff is nice and helpful, the placement is great and easy to find. The room smells like mildew, however. It's bad enough that my throat hurts and there's a headache building. I paid extra for a balcony thinking I would see the street, but it's a courtyard room. It's quiet except for the tv blaring the across the hall. The sheets are stained and the coverlets are pulled and old.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Ft. Thomas, KY
Reviewed 12 November 2010

Stayed here for four days and loved it. Extended our stay an extra day and the staff made the transition painless although we had to stay in a different room due to booking. Will stay here again.