“good location, spacious room but useless interet”

Ranked #98 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
“good location, spacious room but useless interet”
Reviewed 18 October 2012

My husband and visited new Orleans together. I have attended to SFN while he was working. Hotel was at a long walking distance to the Convention Center and surrounded by good restaurants, cafes and bars. The biggest problem we had was the internet connection. It is very difficult to get on and remain online. It was a nightmare for my husband. We had to spend most of the time in a cafe Krewe du Brew.
We hope that hotel management solves the internet connection issues. So, we can stay in this cute hotel next time.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Meltem B
GeofTaylor, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 20 October 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us on your trip to NOLA . I surely appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing! I am so sorry your internet connection was less than stellar. I have spoken to our system manager to see what he can do to solve the problem. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and do hope we get to see you next time you are down south.
2012 Choice Hotels International Gold Award Winner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
North Carolina
Reviewed 6 October 2012

This hotel had its pros and cons. Pros: Good location, near the streetcar stop (it wasn't running because of repairs, but still...), parking available, spacious room, fairly clean, friendly and helpful staff. Cons: Cheap furnishing and decor that needs updating, valet parking is expensive, can't access your car during valet hours without asking and tipping, useless high-carb breakfast in a makeshift breakfast area. I would stay here again if I just needed a place to lay my head, but it was nothing special.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank TravelingSouth55
Thank you so much for your review. I will be presenting your comments in our next manager meeting. I am so sorry you were not pleased with your rooms furnishings or your breakfast. I am happy to report that both our breakfast and our rooms are getting refreshed very soon. I do hope you will come back and see us once everything is done. Thanks for your business!
Clariong Grand Boutique Hotel
Waxahachie
Reviewed 19 September 2012 via mobile

Overall it is an ok hotel. I liked the location because it was away from the French Quarter. I chose it because it had a trolley stop in front of the hotel BUT the trolley is not running on that part of St.Charles due to repairs. But we figured out the bus system and then switched to trolley on Canal St. The hall does have a funky smell as I had see in other reviews, almost like a sewer backed up somewhere. Once you are in the room you don't smell it. The view we got was of the 2nd floor parking lot. The room furnishings were somewhat dated but on other reviews it states it is 70's inspired. Wireless Internet was useless unless you were in the breakfast area of the lobby. Breakfast was very limited. The only other issue I had was lighting was very poor in the bathroom.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debbieandsteve35
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate all feedback and will review your comments with our staff. I am glad overall your stay was a good one and I hope you will come back and see us and some exciting new changes very soon!
Aiken, South Carolina
Reviewed 16 September 2012

My first hotel experience in New Orleans was on Bourbon Street, moving to the Clarion on St Charles was a very welcome change! The staff at the Clarion were much more personable, the parking valets took time to explain the parking plans and were quick to offer directions either for walking or driving to the local amenities. Inside the Clarion the hotel's dining area was very clean and well maintained. The selection of appetizers, soups and salads, and entree's were very good, prices reasonable, and presentation perfect. My room was quite spacious and the temperature at check-in was right on target; cool and comfortable. Inside the room was a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker as well as a large screen television.

While it is not far from the downtown and French Quarter the Clarion is located in a very pleasant neighborhood environment; the streets are a little busy but not noisy or difficult to get in or out from parking. The trolley line is not so accessible as it was about 6 blocks away, but don't forget that this is a nice neighborhood so walking is not out of the question.

In summary the Clarion is a very nice hotel with a friendly staff and adequate ammenities. Room pricing is quite reasonable; enjoy the New Orleans experience and come back to the hotel for a nice refreshing rest.

Room Tip: third floor was my "home" and there were no noises from the street, Frech Quarter, or even...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jerry G
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Thank you so much for your review! I am so glad you enjoyed our location in the beautiful Garden District.
Our valet is top notch and I am glad they took great care of you! I will have to speak to Chad the valet manager and let him know to keep up the good work!
I will also be sending kudos to brad the bistro manager. They do have a great selection of reasonably priced food items to choose from. (My personal favorite is the praline cheesecake.)
Again It is fantastic to hear that your trip was made better by my staff! I do hope you will come back and see us on your next visit to NOLA!
Best Regards,
2012 Choice Hotels International Gold Award WInner
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Room was clean and comfortable. Location on St. Charles St. above the Cheesecake Bistro is perfect for catching the streetcar and within walking distance of several restaurants (and even a Walgreen). Very tiny breakfast area, but the Trolley Stop Cafe is right across the street and has excellent breakfast.
Like another reviewer, I wasn't thrilled about having to use the valet service every time I wanted my car, but they were always polite and it probably was more secure for my vehicle.
Desk staff was very helpful when I needed to send a fax. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank evd91
Thank you so much for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. Our location is great and the perfect home base for both business and pleasure alike! We do hope you come back and visit us on your next trip down to the big easy!
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 8 September 2012 via mobile

The first room we checked into had throw-up on the floor! The second room had large wet stains all over the bed, and the third room was just as bad! We decided to leave immediately. We had to get the valet to go and get our cars, I was not fond of having to valet my car everytime I came and went. As we proceeded to leave the girl at the front desk offered us a suite for half price. The suite was nice and clean with a good view of st.charles ave. We ended up staying two nights. The continental breakfast was poo, as in not worth getting up for.
On the plus side, the staff was very friendly, especially the girls at the front desk!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank marcus r
Thank you so much for taking the time out to review our property. I am so sorry you were not satisfied with your room until you were given a complimentary upgrade. I did review your concerns with maintenance and housekeeping and although no issues you described were found in the rooms you were initially in we did take the time to completely steam clean the room and do a full maintenance inspection. We take pride in our housekeeping and maintenance of our hotel and in fact have won awards since we have opened in these issues as voted on by our guests.
The continental breakfast is just that, continental, and is approved by choice hotels. We do offer pastries, waffles, bagels,hot and cold cereal, three juices, milk, tea, coffee, and a few little extras. We do not offer a hot breakfast however. There are multiple options for a more filling breakfast within a few blocks.
I am glad the staff was friendly and that you liked the value. location, rooms and service of our property. Again thank you for your review.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I stayed at the Clarion for the second time in less than a year when visiting my daughter at Tulane University. I wanted to change rating from 3 stars to 4 stars after this trip. The clarion grand boutique hotel is at a great location if you are visiting Tulane and it is very reasonably priced. By no means is it a fancy hotel but rather provides what is needed, is clean and the staff is very friendly. Breakfast is provided in the morning which is convenient.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Loveagreatvacation
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased you had a pleasent stay and hope to see you again on your next visit to New Orleans!