“Still very good hotel”

Ranked #104 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Hot Springs, Arkansas
“Still very good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2010

My wife and I have stayed here a number of times over the years, but we haven't been back since Katrina. The location is excellent and we really enjoy the cozy, small hotel feel. We drove, so we had the $19 a day valet parking charge, which is annoying due to the fact that the valets are only there part of the time, so a number of times, we had to search for our car in the garage or parking deck. The room was nice, clean and the carpet appeared to be new. The room had an extremely small bathroom (toilet and shower) with the sink in the hall area. We did get a room with a bar area and in-room hot tub that was very nice and actually worked. The bed was not terribly comfortable however. It was hard and seemed smallish for a room as large as ours. A good foam top would have been a great addition. The staff was great, and with the streetcar stop in front of the hotel, getting around is easy.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
grandboutiquenola, Front Office Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2010
Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Arkansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2010

We booked a room at the Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel for our overnight stay in NOLA before our cruise departure the following day. We booked the room through Bookit.com after thorough research on hotels in the area. Based on reviews here on TripAdvisor, I was a little apprehensive, but decided to book the room anyway because I was running out of time and needed to make a decision. (My first choice in hotels, Place d'Armes, had no vacancies. By the way, lovely hotel!)

As soon as we stepped off of the elevator onto our floor, it immediately reeked of stale cigarette smoke. Since I booked a NON-SMOKING room, I assumed that the smoke smell must be coming from another floor. We opened the door to our room and quickly realized we were in a SMOKING room. Not only do I have two young children with respiratory allergies, I am also highly sensitive to cigarette smoke. I immediately called down to the front desk and told the young lady working there that there is some kind of mistake because we are in a SMOKING room. She says to me, "In the computer it says you asked for smoking." I said, "You are wrong. I booked NON-SMOKING and I have the paperwork right here to prove it. We would like to be moved to a NON-SMOKING room." I guess since she didn't expect me to have my paperwork with me, she quickly changed her tune, dropped the "the computer says..." bit and tells me that they don't have any more NON-SMOKING rooms, but she will be glad to find me another room at another hotel. Ok, wait a minute, I am no idiot. I spent nearly two weeks researching hotels in the area to find a hotel that had affordable, clean rooms. Many of the nicer hotels were booked solid and of the nicer hotels that were not booked solid, rooms were $300 or more. So, I knew that there were no other hotels with rooms available to accommodate our needs. After discussion with my husband, we decided to stay. (We had already been on the road for 9+ hours with two children, ages 7 and 3, and we really didn't want to spend the rest of the night driving from hotel to hotel.) Housekeeping did bring up some air-freshener. The room then smelled of smoke and perfume.

We dropped off our luggage and headed out to dinner. My husband stopped at the front desk and asked the young lady, "What we are going to do about this?" She looked at him and said, "Bookit.com." He asked, "I have to go through them? You can't give me a discount on the room or parking?" She says, "No. You'll have to go through Bookit.com." By now it is apparent that this girl intends to do nothing to try and right the wrong. So I told my husband that we will wait until the following morning to talk to someone. Early the following morning as we were checking out, I explained the above situation to the lady and gentleman working at the front desk. When I told them that I booked the room through Bookit.com, they tell me that it is not their problem, but Bookit.com's problem and in the future if I book a room through a wholesaler, call the hotel directly to request a NON-SMOKING room. While they did say sorry, they in no way attempted to rectify the situation, even after I let them know that I would be giving the hotel a bad review on TripAdvisor.com.

While I understand the hotel may have limited control over what kind of rooms are booked through wholesalers, the hotel did receive my booking with my contact information and if they did not have the room available, they should have at least called me beforehand to let me know so that I could make other arrangements, if I so desired.

So after all of that, I will not be staying at this hotel ever again. To add insult to injury, the sink area was dirty, there was hair in the shower, and a brown smear on the wall next to the toilet. Utterly DISGUSTING! And the beds weren't that great.

If you are traveling to NOLA, stay somewhere else. As I mentioned above, Place d'Armes is a nice hotel in the French Quarter. While it may be older, it was clean, the beds were quite comfy, the staff is wonderful, and when I booked my room with them through a wholesaler, I had no problems getting the room I booked.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank lovehiken
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2010
The clarion grand boutique hotel is now a 100% smoke free hotel. Thank you for your comments.
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2009

Travel to NOLA a GREAT deal for a variety of reasons. Stay primarily in the CBD (or right downtown). Stay at the Grand Boutique Hotel in the Garden District recently for VERY specific needs/desires which soloey this hotel could meet. It is LOVELY and a desirable place in which to locate yourself should you wish to be away from much of the "Franch Quarteresque" type activity, yet LITERALLY one could still walk there (I do ... I don't even bother with the trolley-car).

For those intereested AT ALL in the architeture of buldings, it is a decent example of Art Deco.

Good restaurant called Cheesecake Bistro (and the locals LOVEEEE ITTTT!). MANY restaurants around here as well.

Some 'hick-ups' with fire alarms goind off TWICE in the middle of the night (replete with strobe lights and a ladies voice AND the glorious alarm .... no fire/no emergency .... false alarms) ... NO fun.

Conti-breaky is REALLY coffee/tea and bagels/muffins/griddled waffles/fruit and juice ... and THAT's it.

Front desk and cleaning staff are VERY kind and TRULY gracious people. Appear to enjoy what they do, and ARE diligent at what they do ... nice in this world to encounter.

Rooms were fine (carpets could be steam cleaned).

Beds were so-so. --- linens great.

WALLS seemed QUITE thin (could here people JUST talking in the room next door (no ... they were NOT loud talkers .... and then tehre was more later which I didn't need to participate in!!)

Could smell restaurant below room ... but only slightly ... whomever built the hotel did a decent enough overhaul at making sure the smells would NOT permeat the rooms.

REALLY it is QUITE lovely and in a PERFECT place (for me ... for THIS trip).

Would I stay here again .... absolutely. Should there be some 'clean-ups', maybe additions for healthier foods -> sure. ANYTHING can usually be upgraded/made better in many manners.

Oh --- and I wish there was a gym (YES ... we can walk down the road and use the St. Charles Athletic facility, but a bike, olyptical would have been GREAT!)

However, it's great y'all. Stay here FOR SURE :-)

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank SWFTravelsALot
dorset, england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2009

I recently returned from a trip to the wonderful city of New Orleans. I stayed in the Garden District as I wanted to be near my son who lives nearby.

From the moment I checked into the hotel I was made to feel so welcome by all the staff, nothing was too much trouble for them. My room was up-graded on arrival, so I had a massive corner room with jacuzzi all to myself! Towels and toiletries were changed every day.

I felt quite safe going out and about during the day as the hotel is right on the St Charles streetcar route. There is also a Walgreens two blocks away which is handy for any odd bits and pieces.

I had the continental breakfast once and found it a little sparse, but perhaps that was because I went down for breakfast late.

The restaurant attached to the hotel is excellent.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to single travellers, families and couples, but feel it would not be suitable for large groups of young people.

Many thanks Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, I'll be back!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Thank you so much for your review. I am so sorry that your stay did not live up to your expectations. I have reviewed your comments with our housekeeping and maintenance departments.
It is rare that we have issues with our rooms. Since opening in 2007 we have consistently won either platinum or gold awards that signify us as the top 3% of all choice hotels in cleanliness and customer service. This is calculated by a mixture of our guest reviews, "likelihood to recommend" surveys and choice hotels inspections. I am glad to hear that once you were given a complimentary suite upgrade, you were pleased with your room. We did inspect the two rooms you were placed in originally and found no "throw up" or wet stains, however we did strip the rooms and shampoo the carpets just to be sure that no other guests had these issues.
Our complimentary continental breakfast is a Choice Hotels International approved breakfast. I will speak to our Choice Hotels consultant about what we can do to improve it. It does offer bagels, waffles, assorted pastries, assorted muffins, oatmeal, grits, cold cereal, three juices, milk, yogurt, fruit, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate.
Though it is $18 to park in our parking lot, our valet is a complimentary service. I am so sorry you were displeased with it. Most of our guests love having their car pulled out for them. There is ample street parking surrounding the hotel for those that do not wish to use this service.
Thank you again for our review.
Geoffrey D Taylor
Assistant General Manager
Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel
2012 Gold Award Winner
Slidell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2009

We are locals who go to New Orleans every year for Mardi Gras and prefer to stay in hotels rather than drive back & forth. The staff, especially, Ken Jenkins, Geoff Taylor, and Lauren Langenstein, treated us with the utmost courtesy and respect. The rooms are very large, well decorated, and the beds are oh.so. comfortable. It is very nice to stay in a smaller property - not as many people in and out and short wait for the elevators.

The breakfast was very satisfying and the location is ideal for taking in all the sites in downtown and the French Quarter. Just a short cab ride or a nice walk for those less lazy. We had such a good experience that this is now our new home for Mardi Gras. We booked Mardi Gras 2010 two days after we checked out and plan to make this an annual event. Thank you for treating us like family.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2009

We spent a night here midweek during Spring Break. Rooms are clean. Couch is small and uncomfortable. Beds are decent, although a bed with two rooms has only doubles. Desk was very nice upon arriving. Area is a sketchy area, one block in either direction, os St. Charles.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2009
Thank you so much for taking the time out to review our hotel. I am pleased that overall you had a nice stay at the Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel and that our front desk was kind to you upon your arrival. I would like to let you know that we do take all comments and use them in our weekly management meetings.
In response to some of your observations, I would like to first assure you that our hotel is located in the Garden District a neighborhood that is traditionally thought of as one of the nicest and safest in the city of New Orleans. We have had no instances of crime or problems with any of our guests in the year and a half that we have been open. I am sorry that you did not feel safe in the surrounding area, but we do offer 24-hour security at our establishment. Secondly yes our rooms with two beds are double beds, but we also offer rooms with a king bed and a sofa sleeper in them for guests who need an extra sleeping space, but prefer a larger bed. Again, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope next time you come to New Orleans you will visit us! Have a fantastic day and as we say in new Orleans “laissez les bons temps rouler!”
Geoffrey D Taylor
Manager
Brownsburg, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights while in New Orleans for a friend's wedding. We booked at the last minute. We were a little concerned about the poor reviews it had on this site. However, those must have been written before they had renovated! Everything in the rooms is new and nice, carpet, furniture, etc. We were on the 3rd floor (highest floor). The hotel is very convenient driving distance to everything we wanted to see. 3-5 minute drive to the French Quarter, 5 minute drive to Magazine Street shops. Also, St. Charles Street (where this hotel is located) is the street that the Street Cars run up and down. So it's also very easy to walk out front and go to the Street Car stop to board. There is a nice local restaurant called The Trolley Stop next door to the hotel. We ate there each morning for about $6.50 each. The continental breakfast provided by the hotel is bagels, muffins, juice, coffee and tea. We did not use the valet parking (if you do its $18 / night). We just found parking places on the street out front. Never was a problem to find parking except Saturday night when the restaurant on the first floor of the hotel was pretty busy. Walgreens is one block away. The beds are new and very comfortable. We would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Liked — Recently renovated and reopened December, 2007
  • Disliked — the people doing the valet parking are a little to pushy and don't tell you that you can park on the street.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2009
Thank you for your glowing review of the Grand Boutique Hotel. We are glad your stay with us was a memorable one. Yes we get many compliments about our double pillow topped mattresses! The parking is eighteen dollars a day, but this is about 5-10 dollars less than our competitors. Though you can find parking on the street, we suggest parking in our garage, but it is not mandatory. I hope that you will stay with us next time you are in new orleans. Again thank you and have a great day!
Sincerely