“Lovely Little Hotel”

Ranked #48 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Tallahassee, Florida
“Lovely Little Hotel”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is quiet, comfortable, and spacious. Rooms have a safe and a small television. The location is prime and the staff are wonderful. The building is charming and the breakfast is delicious. A fresh bakes croissant with butter and jam. All around great experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank LiveLifeAbroad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

.A two week dream holiday turned into a nightmare, when on the second night of our trip my partner john tripped on canal streets notorious kerbside and broke his left leg in two places. After a three day stay in Tulane hospital we arrived back at the hotel with a wheelchair, zimmer frame, various luggage, and a bad case of exhaustion. I cannot praise the staff enough,Christine, Cheryl, Ariel, and Burton, Kept me sane the first few days. they were helpful, cheerful, polite, nothing was too much trouble.Our room was lovely the bed the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in.Greg our breakfast waiter was so helpful and again cheerful and polite. We are hoping to return to NOLA next year and the St James is the only hotel we wish to stay in. thank you everyone for your help and support,Jayne and John room 225.PS THANKFULLY ALL THE PHONE CALLS WERE FREE.

1 Thank JAYNE M
Perth
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Nice comfy furnishings. Breakfast (simple croissant, juice and coffee/tea) delivered to your room. Everything was clean. Location was excellent, not right in the center of the action, but close enough to walk anywhere.

1 Thank FoodbLubber
Land O Lakes, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2014

all in all, the room was fine...older room but were told that they are upgrading. easy access to bourbon street and other points of interest. also told that upgrade to the breakfast...but for now they have real good coffee and croissants - delivered to your room. the day shift needs to make sure that the night shift carry thru with arrangements. In particular, the valet parking. We told the day shift we needed our car no later than 8:15 the next morning because of a tour I had booked. NO CAR at 8:15AM!! Car arrived at 9AM and I sped off...just in the nick of time to make the tour. day staff at that time did no appear to have any interest in our dilemma. That could be because folks that were trying to check out were told that their car was damaged. The left rear passenger widow was busted thru. I was surprised that the staff did not call out for maintenance to make some sort of temporary repair since these folks had a 12 hour drive back to their home. Our last day started out with grief...not only did I request my car to be delivered at 5AM from the night shift..I ran downstairs at 4:30AM and told the front counter. We show up at 5AM and they delivered the wrong car. so, these folks really need to figure out a better way for valet parking.

Room Tip: we only saw our room but it was clean and every day housecleaning did a good job.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank p k
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We were in town for a wedding and had 9 rooms. The rooms were all different shapes and sizes. My room was large, with 2 queen beds, wood flooring, and a large closet. One of the rooms in our party had a king bed with a small closet. The beds were so comfortable that my mother wrote down the make and model number. I agree that the water pressure could use some improvement. The hotel is only a few blocks off of Canal Street which made it easy to walk to most of the places we wanted to go. From check-in to check-out we received excellent service. Christina and Cheryl took care of everything we needed, from suggesting restaurants, printing out directions, and ordering a cabs. There was always coffee and ice water in the lobby where we spent a good bit of time visiting with friends and family. My husband and I agree that we will return to the St. James Hotel on our next visit to New Orleans.

Room Tip: Room 219 was very nice suite. Room 227 was large with wood floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen B
Garland, Texas, United States
Reviewed 4 June 2014

There are a ton of hotel choices in The Big Easy, and I am glad I chose the St. James. My wife and I May 25-28 for our 15th wedding anniversary. We arrived about an hour before check in and the lovely lady at the front desk, Christine, informed us that she did have an early check in room for us after offering to hold our luggage for us incase we wanted to go out before a room would be ready. I told her we were there for our anniversary and my wife was a first timer and she immediately upgraded us to an Executive King Suite that was ready for check in! The exterior of the hotel maintains the quintessential charm you'd expect from a city with the history and culture of NOLA, but the room had all the modern upgrades to make you feel at home. During the course of our stay and going in and out, the gentleman at the front desk, Burton, couldn't be more polite and eager to help. It is so refreshing for travelers to see the front desk staff interact with each guest and genuinely keep a smile on their face. I don't know what the hotel pays their staff, but you can tell Burton really enjoys what he does, and he is a great ambassador for the city of New Orleans. The location is great. My wife and I are past the age of boozing it up on Bourbon all hours of the night, so we were a few blocks away from the action, but not too far away from the French Quarter to take in all the sites and atmosphere. We were 2 blocks away from Harrah's casino and about 3 blocks from Canal Street which would take us anywhere we wanted to go. My wife is a self admitting "hotel snob" and she absolutely loved the hotel, so much that she said she'd like to stay there again when we come back. Upon checkout, Ariel gave us an extra hour to check out and had the taxi waiting to take us to the airport just as she promised. If there was one thing to "complain" about, it would be I wish there was better water pressure in the shower. Be wary when reading negative reviews on this site. I couldn't imagine that all star staff not addressing any issues that may ever come about to any guests staying there. St. James Hotel gets 5 stars in my book. Thanks for an unforgettable stay!!!

1 Thank Jerry C
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here during our recent visit to NOLA and found the hotel very convenient to the places we wished to visit. The staff is very friendly and quite helpful and accommodating. The rooms are nicely furnished and clean. We would definitely return to this hotel in the future.

1 Thank CheshireTurkey