“Always great”

Hilton New Orleans Riverside
Ranked #74 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 December 2011

This Hilton is right across from a Riverside Mall, which is very nice, lots of shops and restaurants inside. It is also across the street from Harrahs casino. "Mother's" restaurant which is a must for a down home cooking style breakfast or lunch is less than a 10 minute walk on Poydras street. There is a trolley right next to the hotel, that you can ride for a $1.25 to Cafe du Monde, Jackson Brewery, or the French Flea market. Mulates restaurant is a block away, is a true Cajun restaurant, wich is casual, and has a Cajun band just about every night. "The Trolley" restaurant is on St. Charles Ave is a great place for breakfast also, but it is a 10 minute drive. "Deanies", and "The Acme Oyster" house, both on Iberville street, which is just off of Bourbon Street, are both good choices for dinner, expect to wait about an hour, and spend 50 bucks for 2 people. This hotel has a Starbucks inside, the beds are very comfortable, the rooms are clean, the staff is professional. There is a restaurant, but did not eat there. There is also a nice bar. Self parking is $34, valet is $38, you might as well do valet. There are always alot of taxis outside of this hotel, so that is not a problem. I would not walk to Bourbon street from this hotel, because it is several blocks, especially at night. This hotel will run you about $250, especially after parking, but any nice hotel in N.O. will run the same, but you get what you pay for. There is a pool, but seemed like it was a little far from most of the rooms, This hotel is good for families, business, and couples. Have stayed here 3 times, and will stay again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2011

Thanks for the very nice review and we always enjoyed having you here. Spring time is a fun time in New Orleans with all of the wonderful heritage festivals taking place in March and in April. Hope to see you again soon.

The best of the Holidays to you and to your family!

Hilton New Orleans Riverside

There are newer reviews for Hilton New Orleans Riverside

Reviewed 13 December 2011

Excellent location well appointed and fabulous views of the river from our rooms.
Convenient and within walking distance of many restaurants and attractions.
Be prepared for cold weather if you visit during the winter months.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have access to executive lounge on top floor which provides spectacular views of the ri...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Decent room nothing special. Service was ok but not real friendly. Can not believe that wifi is 13.00 a day! Really??? Great location great view of their parking garage...

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 10 December 2011

This was my second trip to New Orleans, and my first time coming to NOLA for business and staying at the Hilton Riverside. My first trip to NOLA was in April 2010 for French Quarter Fest, and I stayed in the Hotel Monteleone in the French Quarter. Although that was fun and full of local flavor, I think I prefer the Hilton Riverside and its location.

Because I was in New Orleans to work at my organization's annual convention, I was happy to be staying at a hotel close to the convention center. However, "close" is a relative term. It's about a mile from the Hilton to the center of the convention center. I'm a power walker, so the walking did not bother me. I looked at it as exercise that I was getting in during a day so busy I wouldn't otherwise get to exercise. But many other staff did complain about the walking, so if you have bad knees or something that would make it hard for you to walk, you may not like the Hilton. Also, you just can't wear your heels, ladies. Have a pair of comfortable shoes you can hoof it in, and then switch to heels when you get to where you're going in the convention center.

I also really liked the location of the Hilton to good shopping. If you stay in the French Quarter, you're close to more touristy stores and bars, but I like a little more upscale shopping. The Canal Shops are just 2 blocks from the Hilton, and the RiverWalk shops are right next store. The Canal Shops have stores such as Coach, White House/Black Market, Anthropologie, Banana Republic, etc. RiverWalk is a little more funky and touristy, but still has Anne Taylor Loft, Aldo, etc. So you get a good mix if you're at the Hilton.

As for the hotel itself, check in was very easy. I stayed in a deluxe room with two Queen beds on the 17th floor, overlooking the river. The train tracks were down below, but I never heard the trains ever. I had read in other reviews prior to going that if you stay in the Riverside building rooms, the trains can wake you at night. This may be because the Riverside Buildings are only about 4 stories high, so therefore are closer to the noise. The bed was very comfortable, and I slept very well every night. I didn't hear a lot of noise in the hallway or neighboring rooms, despite the fact that it was at full capacity.

My room was very spacious. In addition to the beds -- and I like having two beds when I travel for business because I can sleep in one and organize my outfits and materials for the next day on the other -- were an armchair, desk, large-screen TV, spacious dresser, fridge, great coffee maker, spacious closet, and spacious bathroom with plenty of counterspace and a spare hair dryer. Also a makeup mirror with light.

The shower had good water pressure. My only complaint about the shower at all was the placement of the soap dish on the wall. In most showers, the soap dish is located in the center of the wall, about knee high. This soap dish was placed about chin level and to the right, so that the first time you are in the shower, and you turn to adjust the water temperature, you might smack your forehead against the soap dish (which I did, and I still have a knot to prove it). I was not the only person to do this, according to my coworkers.

The maid service was very good. There was one day that I came back from the convention center at about 4 p.m. to find that they had not cleaned my room yet, but I didn't care. One day of missed cleaning doesn't bother me.

I didn't try room service, but I did go to Dragos, the restaurant inside the Hilton, and it was amazing. A coworker and I went there for dinner after our last event of the day, and we were told the wait would be 25 minutes. We put our names in, but then we found two seats at the bar and chose to eat there instead. You absolutely have to try the Charbroiled Oysters. They were amazing! (Other restaurants I tried were the Palace Cafe and Bourbon House, both Brennen properties. I thought of the two that Bourbon House was the best). I also went to the Riverside gift shop to pick up yogurts for my breakfast in the morning. Very overpriced -- $3 per teeny tiny yogurt, but I paid it to have an easily accessible, low cal breakfast.

As for events in the hotel, I had three receptions and one dinner event. All of them ran very smoothly. The event & server staff are extremely nice and helpful. I didn't have to set up anything myself, and the food was very good. I was especially pleased with an awards dinner we had in the River Room. Wayne, the captain, and all of the service staff were fantastic, and the room is a beautiful, brick-walled room that looks out on the Mississippi. The view, decor, lighting, everything was just amazing, and our awardees and the sponsor's representatives were all very impressed with the room and the dinner.

Even though the hotel was extremely crowded (with our staff and convention attendees, we had 20,000 people in town), I never really had to wait long for an elevator. There is a cafe where you can get coffees/pastries, etc., but I never went there. I just used the in-room coffee maker or got coffee from our staff headquarters office in the convention center.

The hotel has a really, really nice fitness center. We paid $5/day for it, but that was a special rate for our group. I think it is normally $10/day. The gym has towels, water, about 12 treadmills, several ellipticals, a few stairclimbers and bikes, a full suite of weight machines, a full set of barbells/dumbbells, a golf swing simulator, stretching room, balance balls, steps, a raquetball court, and a spin/pilates studio. Classes are offered throughout the day. Televisions are on one wall.

If you like to gamble, Harrah's is right across the street. There's easy access to cabs (they are lined up in front of the hotel 24/7). You can walk to the French Quarter (it's maybe 5 blocks away to Bourbon House, smack in the middle of the Quarter and Bourbon St.).

This was really one of the better hotels I've ever stayed in for a business trip. If you are an association staff member who knows what it's like to work for a full week at a big convention, you would appreciate the amenities and comforts offered by this hotel. I liked it so much that I would elect to stay here even on a personal, fun trip to New Orleans. It just seemed more centrally located to everything in the city and better equipped to handle full capacity than some of the hotels over in the Quarter.

Thanks, Hilton Riverside, for the great stay. Just move that soapdish! (Guests -- watch out for the soapdish!)

Room Tip: The 17th floor had beautiful views and was quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank MarylandBeachGirl_9
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Avoid a room with a river view..........unless..... you want to be awakened by the sound of passiing trains all night long! We had checked into our first room and were relaxing around 8:30 p.m. when we heard the first train pass. That's when I remembered a Trip Advisor review that I had read forewarning of the train! Even though we were on the 25th floor, it sounded as if we were on the ground level. Fortunately, we were able to switch to another room and avoid a potentially disastrous stay.

This hotel is enormous and unless you have a reason to stay at this particular hotel for a conference, trade show, etc.....there were many other properties to choose from in the same immediate area that seemed to be more manageable.

Room Tip: We stayed on the executive level. Not worth the extra charge. Breakfast was no better than at a Hilt...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 December 2011

One of the better hotels in New Orleans for a GREAT price, if you plan ahead!! I booked 3 rooms about 20 days in advance for only $89 per night for a full weekend stay. friday afternoon to sunday check out. Anything at the level of the Hilton in that area will run you at least $159 or more per night.

Nice and clean rooms, flat screen tv's, comfortable beds (awesome), clean bathrooms (very nice), modern furniture and fixtures (sexy/classy), the hotel is amazing compared to MANY other hotels in the area which are either much much older or way more expensive. The pictures posted on Trip Advisor and on the Hilton website are 100% right on. It is that nice. The rooms are really nice and we really enjoyed them.

They have a nice but overpriced full bar and cajun seafood restaurant inside. Full access business center and a huge gym that 2 of the people in my party used and seemed to like alot. Pretty snappy service from the front desk and staff. We had a small issue that was cleared up almost immediately. (key and check in issue)

The location is PERFECT for the area. The Hilton is right on the Mississippi River so right behind it the hotel is the riverwalk and a really neat area for food, drinks, and shopping. The Harrah's Hotel and Casino is practically across the street and everything else is within walking distance of a few blocks, although some of the hot spots in the french quarter are a little further away. I think thats a good thing so you arent so close to all the craziness of the streets at night and you can actually feel like your getting away by going to the Hilton Riverside. If anything is too far a quick cab ride is no problem and is pretty cheap within the area. Book at this hotel IN ADVANCE and you wont be disappointed. $89 per night on expedia and the hotel website. that includes deluxe rooms that face the strip or the riverside view.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank thecool272
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2011

Thank you for the very nice review of our hotel and we certainly enjoyed having you here. I will certainly share your wonderful comments with our team. New Orleans is a fun destination all year a round so when you are ready for some of that well deserved R & R keep us in mind and our team will be happy to assist you in planning your next stay.

The best of the upcoming Holidays to you and to your family!

Hilton New Orleans Riverisde

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Wonderful hotel, convenient to Harrah's Casino, and within a few blocks of the cruise ship dock. While cabs are available, it's not more than an easy 10 minute walk to the pier.

Hotel has great facilities, helpful room staff, and easy check-in/out.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

Thank you for choosing the Hilton New Orleans Riverside as your New Orleans pre Crusie destination. We certainly enjoyed having you here and we look forward to seeing you again whenever your travels bring you back to the city.

The best of the Holiday Season to you and to your family!

Hilton New Orleans Riverisde