Other reviews have nailed what a great location this is: right at Riverwalk, across from Harrah's and with a streetcar stop outside if you're heading down to the French Quarter. Aquarium is just outside and this is an ideal place to stay for a New Orleans vacation or pre/post cruise.
Staff was extremely warm and accomodating, although the idea of a line at the busy concierge desk seemed foreign to some guests. On two occasions I was standing there and someone ran up with an inquiry and would have been helped, had I not spoken up.
This hotel does not have an indoor pool so if you're staying in the winter months you probably won't be swimming. We loved the executive lounge and the restaurant for breakfast, in fact it was one of the best hotel buffets I've had ever.
Quite a few comments have been written on here about a lack of friendliness on the part of the staff. Not sure if it's because we stayed over Christmas, or because the hotel was pretty empty, but everyone we dealt with was really, really nice, and not in a fake hospitality industry kind of way! I was genuinely struck by their warmth.
Rooms were well appointed and very, very comfortable. I'm told the king rooms don't come with a sofa bed but you may want to verify that yourself if you're traveling with a kid. We had two beds in our room.
I did take the airport shuttle FROM the hotel for $20. It showed up 10 minutes late but because I was flying out Christmas Day it was a total non-event. Just had me nervous because I like to get the airport early and checkin never knowing what to expect with delays and security lines.
Totally recommend this hotel for cruisers. You can walk right through the Riverwalk Mall to the cruise terminal, although there is a long flight of stairs at the mall exit before you get to the port. It's probably a 10 minute walk to get there through the mall and I'd suggest you try it without bags first to make sure you do want to do it.
Just one other weird story to share with you, not involving the Hilton, and that involved a "tourist information" booth off the property, right at the entrance to Riverwalk. Had an odd experience there that left me a little upset.
The booth has half a dozen large fat cats that hang around outside and there are food bowls there. I stopped to look and take a picture, as did a group of vistors from Boston. They were also staying at the Hilton and were boarding a cruise the next day. We got talking because I had just returned from a cruise that day and I was offering advice about what to do in Costa Maya, Cozumel, Roatan and Belize.
Well the woman inside the booth came out and demanded to know "what advice I was offering" because she clearly thought I was trying to steal her business offering local trips in New Orleans! She then said I shouldn't be offering advice, because she was "trying to do business!"
Now I'm a friendly guy and I assure you I had no interest in her business or stealing her business! I suggested she was a poor example of New Orleans hospitality and if she wanted to learn about true hospitality she should visit New York, where we really are warm and friendly! She stormed off, assuring me that she knew about local hospitality. Anyway, just wanted to share this story. She may be a nice person, but was perhaps angry at having to be in her booth the day before Christmas.
Book this Hilton with absolute confidence and enjoy your visit to the hotel and New Orleans. And again, if you're cruising you've made the absolute best choice!
Oh, and the free ferry ride across the Mississippi isn't worth the time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Visiting the Hilton New Orleans Hotel Riverside will not only bring back fond memories, but can open up new areas to explore in New Orleans, Louisiana. Enjoy the 90,000 sq. ft. Health Club by Hilton featuring tennis, racquetball, full weight training circuit, the Precor® cardio theater and more. Stimulate your palate within Drago's Seafood Restaurant, a New Orleans dining institution. Upgrade your accommodations to our exclusive Executive Level. Try your hand at Harrah's Casino or take in a round of golf at TPC Louisiana. New Orleans is still one of the world's most unique destinations and is at your doorstep when staying at the Hilton Riverside Hotel in New Orleans, Louisiana. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TravelUp, Hilton Hotels Direct, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton New Orleans Riverside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton New Orleans Riverside Hotel New Orleans
- Hilton Hotel New Orleans
- Hilton Riverside Hotel New Orleans
- Hilton Riverside New Orleans