“Excellent Choice Before or After a Cruise!”

Ranked #77 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersGold level
Brooklyn, New York
“Excellent Choice Before or After a Cruise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

Other reviews have nailed what a great location this is: right at Riverwalk, across from Harrah's and with a streetcar stop outside if you're heading down to the French Quarter. Aquarium is just outside and this is an ideal place to stay for a New Orleans vacation or pre/post cruise.

Staff was extremely warm and accomodating, although the idea of a line at the busy concierge desk seemed foreign to some guests. On two occasions I was standing there and someone ran up with an inquiry and would have been helped, had I not spoken up.

This hotel does not have an indoor pool so if you're staying in the winter months you probably won't be swimming. We loved the executive lounge and the restaurant for breakfast, in fact it was one of the best hotel buffets I've had ever.

Quite a few comments have been written on here about a lack of friendliness on the part of the staff. Not sure if it's because we stayed over Christmas, or because the hotel was pretty empty, but everyone we dealt with was really, really nice, and not in a fake hospitality industry kind of way! I was genuinely struck by their warmth.

Rooms were well appointed and very, very comfortable. I'm told the king rooms don't come with a sofa bed but you may want to verify that yourself if you're traveling with a kid. We had two beds in our room.

I did take the airport shuttle FROM the hotel for $20. It showed up 10 minutes late but because I was flying out Christmas Day it was a total non-event. Just had me nervous because I like to get the airport early and checkin never knowing what to expect with delays and security lines.

Totally recommend this hotel for cruisers. You can walk right through the Riverwalk Mall to the cruise terminal, although there is a long flight of stairs at the mall exit before you get to the port. It's probably a 10 minute walk to get there through the mall and I'd suggest you try it without bags first to make sure you do want to do it.

Just one other weird story to share with you, not involving the Hilton, and that involved a "tourist information" booth off the property, right at the entrance to Riverwalk. Had an odd experience there that left me a little upset.

The booth has half a dozen large fat cats that hang around outside and there are food bowls there. I stopped to look and take a picture, as did a group of vistors from Boston. They were also staying at the Hilton and were boarding a cruise the next day. We got talking because I had just returned from a cruise that day and I was offering advice about what to do in Costa Maya, Cozumel, Roatan and Belize.

Well the woman inside the booth came out and demanded to know "what advice I was offering" because she clearly thought I was trying to steal her business offering local trips in New Orleans! She then said I shouldn't be offering advice, because she was "trying to do business!"

Now I'm a friendly guy and I assure you I had no interest in her business or stealing her business! I suggested she was a poor example of New Orleans hospitality and if she wanted to learn about true hospitality she should visit New York, where we really are warm and friendly! She stormed off, assuring me that she knew about local hospitality. Anyway, just wanted to share this story. She may be a nice person, but was perhaps angry at having to be in her booth the day before Christmas.

Book this Hilton with absolute confidence and enjoy your visit to the hotel and New Orleans. And again, if you're cruising you've made the absolute best choice!

Oh, and the free ferry ride across the Mississippi isn't worth the time!

Room Tip: High floor gets a great view of the Mississippi!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Frqflier
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, 27 December 2011
Thank you for the very nice review of our hotel. We certainly enjoyed having you here with us and we look forward to seeing you again whenever your travels bring you back to New Orleans.
Your great comments will be shared with our team during our next staff meeting and we thank you. Lots of fun activities happening here in New Orleans in 2012 and hopefully you can find time to come back and enjoy one of our local heritage festivals later this Spring. Most popular is our French Quarter Festival in mid April which has become known as ' a taste of New Orleans' when many of most famous restaurants share their famous dishes with the city and it's guests in Jackson Square. If our team can assist you in planning a future stay, please do not hesitate to call upon us.

Hilton New Orleans Riverside

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

Stayed here 2 nights pre-cruise on 12/9 & 10. 'Won' this property through Last Minute Travel for a very reasonable rate. Parking at the hotel is pricey and we were going to walk/use public transportation during pre-cruise stay. Opted to use Fulton Parking (just a few blocks down Convention Blvd and a 5 minute walk from Hotel) for $12/day (cruise rate).

First room we (I was with my 21 year old daughter) were assigned was a king suite. VERY nice room. Very spacious, big TV, dinette, wet bar, fridge, large bathroom, etc. Room was in main building. BUT.... there was a small lake in the bathroom (something was leaking over the stool??). The front desk staff quickly assigned us to another room and this time I asked for 2 beds. Received a regular room in building 3. Was very quiet in this building. Room was fine, beds comfy, etc.

Prior reviews had mentioned comfy beds.... The 'original' king suite room had a 'low to the floor' king bed. What I found interesting was there was a sheet of plywood between the mattress and the box springs. (you could easily see this while sitting on the sofa) I sat on the bed and did not notice any discomfort. Wasn't a big deal as we ended up moving from this room.... I just found it odd that a Hilton would do this rather than taking the room out of commission until a new bed was in place. The hotel did not appear to be full so just odd that they assigned this room.

Also of note were the bathroom amenities. On prior Hilton stays, bath products were Crabtree and Evelyn brand (nice quality products). This Hilton is using another brand (I did not recognize the name) which was more of a generic rather than quality. Again, not a deal breaker and I realize the poor economy has a lot to do with business decisions to use less expensive products.

All in all, the property was very nice and in a great location. Parking is pricey but there are less expensive options readily available. We did not use the pool, spa, etc. Staff we were in contact with were very nice and helpful.

Very near the cruise port (10 minute casual stroll to port). Unless the weather is totally nasty or you have more luggage than you can handle, opt to walk to the cruise port. We took a taxi (it was beginning to sprinkle) and ended up spending the next hour in the cab stuck in traffic.

If we travel to New Orleans again and LMT has a good rate for this property, I would book it again without hesitation.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly enjoyed having you here and it sounds as though you enjoyed your cruise as well. We do our best to assist the Port of New Orleans with cuise ship parking in our Julia St. parking lot. Our rates are an extension of our partners at the Terminal. I am happy to say that our In House Security team does regular patrols of the facilities 24 hours a day to ensure a safe parking enviroment for our parking customers. We look forward to seeing you again whenever your travels bring you back to New Orleans and our team is ready to assist you in planning your next stay.

Juaners
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

We checked in for a five day stay with two rooms. The staff was attentive and very friendly. We were immediately checked in and given rooms adjacent to each other. We were assigned tower 3 which is the smaller tower facing the Mississippi river. We were overlooking the Creole Queen boat and a courtyard. Our room was spacious and our bed was great.
This is what I expected for a business hotel. It is a convention hotel, so it is fairly large but not too large that you are far away from the cafe or bar. There are two pools one in each side of the hotel and they are fairly large.

I would certainly stay here again.... the location is great. Attached to a mall of small shops and across the street there is a casino and an upscale mall with a movie theater.

The bell man could use a little more training in customer service, but overall our stay was glitch free. They did forget to deliver our breakfast coupons and we had to pick them up twice, although the second night I had to ask for the manager as they claimed I had picked them up. I did pick them up that morning for that morning's breakfast. I was inquiring about the next day.
Housekeeping did a fairly good job, although they missed on day in cleaning our room. This was probably our fault since we left our room later than normal on that day.

I would certainly stay here again...... it is what I come to expect of Hilton.

Visitors tip: Cab ride is $33 from airport to downtown for 1 or 2 persons. There is an additional $14 per person. If you have a party of 6 ask to be taken together. We were split up later to find out on our way out that we could been in the same car.

The hotel is centrally located and the French quarter is blocks away. This location is ideal, as it is quiet and far away enough from the chaos of bourbon street.

We ate lunch at the bar and I found the prices to be relatively low for hotel dining. The portions were great and the service was awesome. Really friendly bartenders.

Room Tip: There is a train track that runs adjacent to the hotel. Ask for a room away from it.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Juaners
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, 22 December 2011
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the very nice review. Our guest feedback is very important to us. I will certainly share your comments with our Bell and Housekeeping teams and our sincere apologies for the inconveniences.
New Orleans is a fun destination all year so when you are ready for some of that well deserved R & R later this year, let us know and we will certainly be looking forward to seeing you again.

Lancaster, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

I try to stay with the Hilton chain of hotels because they offer a consistent level of quality. The Hilton Riverside in New Orleans is no exception. The rooms are large and clean. The bedding is soft and luxurious. The rooms are well maintained; they do not show any wear and tear. The hotel staff are efficient and attentive. The location is convenient to the Convention Center and just a short walk to the French Quarter.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for your continued patronage of Hilton Hotels. We certainly enjoyed having you here with us and I will share your nice review with our team.

2012 will be a very dynamic year here in New Orleans with numerous sporting venues, a host of Spring Festivals and of course Mardi Gras. Hopefully you can find time in this new year to come back and enjoy New Orleans once again. Our team is ready to assist you in planning your next stay, give us a call and we will be happy to assist you.

Hilton New orleans Riverside
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

Arrived 12/09/11, check in was quick and easy and my Wife was pleased w/our room and king sized bed, a real sleeper. Then off to GW Finn's for a great seafood dinner w/our niece from Tulanne. Ahhh the french quarter, walking distance from our hotel to so many interesting sights. Took the riverboat tour and learned so much about NOL. Then did the walking ghost tour w/Jenn. More interesting history of this city and its ghosts. We left at 8pm and had a number of bar breaks along the way. The casino is just across the street from our Hilton so blackjack was a must. Mother's hit the spot for breakfast all day long and the baked ham was the best. At the Hilton the charcol oysters ranked number 1. The 6 indoor tennis courts and first class work out facility kept the weight off (small fee). Jumped on the trolley for a ride out to tulanne and the garden district and dinner at Jackamores (sp) for some allagator cheesecake and more good food. Watch out on bourbon street late at night as it gets a little crazy. Will be back soon.

Room Tip: try to get a view of the river
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vayden
Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and your visit to New Orleans. I will certainly share your comments on Drago's Charbroiled Oysters with the Drago's team. There is plenty of fun events happening in New Orleans this year and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Our team is ready to assist you in planning your next stay, so when you are ready to come back give us a call and let us help plan your time here.

The best of the Holidays to you and to your family.

Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

I would not stay farther than this from Jackson Square unless you plan on driving/cabbing/steeetcarimg everywhere. But we walked from here and enjoyed it. It was nice to have a nice, clean place for good price (papa Noel rates). The parking is about $ 35-40/day.

• Stayed December 2011
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we certainly enjoyed having you here. Lots of fun events coming up in New Orleans over the next 5 months and we hope you can find time to come back to enjoy them. Our team is ready to help plan your next fun adventure in New Orleans.

Hilton New Orleans riverside
Harrisonburg, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

Stayed here one night prior to a cruise as it was just a short walk to the cruise terminal. Arrived around 7 pm and had booked an Executive Room King room. The cab dropped us off and we had a lot of luggage but no bellman interested in helping. Finally got one's attention and he took the bags. For an executive room you have a separate check in on the 29th floor - we were directed back down to the 2nd flood check in, who sent us back up to the 29th floor. The room was fine, overpriced, but nice. We had a good view of the Mississippi and the Voyager of the Seas ship.

As a gold level honors member for Hilton properties we are suppose to get a room upgrade if available - there were suites available but we were told we were not eligible for a room upgrade - this is a first as I travel a lot and almost exclusively use Hilton properties.

As it was late we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant - Drago's - there was a little wait, not bad and the grilled oysters are wonderful. The meal was excellent but the service was spotty.

Breakfast the next morning we decided to go with the buffet - for $20 dollars I would have expected a lot more. The gravy was watery and the food was average at best.

I'll not stay here again but will try the Embassy Suites which is the same distance to the cruise terminal for our next trip.

Overall not bad, but for the price I expect a lot more.

Room Tip: Avoid an Executive level room - not worth the added cost. Get a river view room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple