“Beautiful Hotel Convenient to Restaurants and Shopping”

Ranked #76 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Hilton is a beautiful hotel in a great location. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. Drago's famous seafood restaurant is on property. I believe they were voted best New Orleans seafood restaurant in 2013. I regret that I was not able to eat there. They also have a large lobby bar, Le Croissant breakfast restaurant and River Bends Cafe for light fair (second floor). Of course, dozens of restaurants within easy walking. Like to shop? A huge outlet mall is across the street with all your favorite brands at a nice discount. Gambling to your liking? Harrah's is also right across the street. Obviously, I liked most all about the hotel, so my one negative. Pay for a wifi connection. People already pay a pretty sum to stay at a nice hotel and then are gouged with having to pay $12 plus daily to access wifi from your room. At check-in, I was also informed that the $12 plus per day was per wifi device. In my case, a cell phone, iPad and lap top. More than $36 per night extra?? Of course, the wifi in the lobby area was free for any guests or literally anyone that walked into the hotel and sat down. With so many hotels providing free wifi and now many airports doing the same, I find it shameful that Hilton is among those that feel they need to get that extra payment from their guests.

Room Tip: I prefer a room facing the city as those facing the river can get a view of warehousing and back all...
3  Thank ChiefGuru
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

CheifGuru,

Your gracious comments are greatly appreciated and thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. We will certainly take into consideration your suggestion regarding HSIA as we continously look for better ways to serve our guests. We thank you for choosing us as your New Orleans destination and hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Have a enjoyable Juy 4th Holiday !

Hilton New Orleans Riverside

Write a ReviewReviews (5,794)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I like this hotel for many reasons. First it lives up to the Hilton name with its service and the location is great if don't want to stay in the "Bourbon" area. The rooms are very clean and the beds are SUPER comfortable!!! It's directly across from the casino, right next to the street car stop that will take you all along the riverfront and its directly connected to the Shops at Riverwalk which is all air conditioned with great outlets shopping. The hotel is very busy at all hours but the rooms are still very quiet. The bar area is nice, expect to pay hotel prices for drinks. Dragos is your basic hotel food nothing really to write home about but the service is really good. The Dragos location in Metairie is much better, not "hotel food". A plus is the hotel has a outdoor pool. Note that if you are on some of the higher floors 15+ you need to take a transfer elevator to reach them. You never have to wait for an elevator, there was always one ready which is really surprising considering all the conventions, weddings and regualr tourists running around. Our room included the breakfast buffet which was FANTASTIC!!! It had an omelet station with some of the best employees running it. Always a nice smiling face when you put in your omelet order. The ladies making the omelets were so sweet and just pleasant to see in the morning. Their smiling faces started your day off right. Overall all great stay and will be returning. 4 stars!!!

Room Tip: The riverview was really nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ROXIE B

Roxy B,

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your time here and thank you for sharing such a nice review with us on Trip Advisor. I have shared your comments with the team and we are most appreciative of your kind words about the staff and the hotel. We enjoyed having you here and hope to see you again in the not too distant future. Have a wonderful July 4th Holiday!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I traveled to New Orleans for a conference at the hotel. I had a standard non smoking, queen room. The bed was on the firm side. I was on the 4th floor with a lovely view of the roof. However, if I stood on my toes I could see the river! Better views were available for an upgrade of $35/night. The meeting rooms were comfortable and the banquet staff was attentive and friendly.

clwoolst,

Thank you for your review and thank you for choosing us as your New Orleans destination. We enjoyed having you here and look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future. We will certainly work on assigning your next room to be on a higher floor ensuring you have a nice view of the river. Have a wonderful July 4th Holiday and we will see you soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

LaShondra at the front desk was darling and exceptionally attentive. When she discovered that we were in town for our anniversary, she upgraded our room and had a bottle of wine and delicious chesecake sent to our room! We were touched by the hospitality. Our room was a very large room with a king bed that faced the river. It had more of a "Super 8" feel than other Hilton's we've experienced; it had a spartan decor yet it was clean and adequate. The hotel is massive and sprawling and the public spaces (and our room) are in need of an update. The location is excellent, walking distance to the French Quarter. Be prepared to walk a good 1/2 mile to get out of the hotel though! Overall, we were impressed by the excellent service and location but the hotel is due for a renovation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

CrowAnnie,

First of all a Happy Belated Anniversary and thank you for choosing us to enjoy such a special occasion. I have shared your recognition of LaShondra with her and her manager and we all thank you. Your feedback is most appreciated and we will take your comments and suggestions into consideration as we continously improve our guest experience. Have a wonderful July 4th Holiday and we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back once again next time your travels bring you back to New Orleans.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Spent one night for a seminar so had little time to explore. Was so pleased there is a train/streetcar station at hotel entrance that takes you right to French quarter. No problem in getting a taxi to airport - they line up at hotel entrance even at 4am. I appreciated the hotel allowing an early check in at no extra charge. The room was clean and up to date. Had a lovely view of the river.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

wendyl16203,

Thank you so very much for tkaing time to share your review with us on Trip Advisor. We certainly enjoyed having you here and we look forward to that next opportunity to welcome you back again next time your travels bring you back to New Orleans.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Tell me if I'm too hard, or expect too much, then you decide...drop bags off at arrival, get the matching tickets, go to check in, check in, then go to room and await the bell service to bring the bags to your assigned room.

Overall, this process took over 1 hour. Granted the check-in attendant was a trainee, and did not tell us to go to the bellhop management desk, no problem, first 20 minutes forgiven. But once I called the bell station and was told of the process I 1) found the process odd in that it is not normal for a guest to have to do this step. 2) the bell management desk, once he had my ticket numbers, did not promptly get my bags to my room, a second 20 minutes waisted of my time and work day lost (it's now after 5 pm, office closed). 3) I went to the bell desk to see where my bags were and he told me I was next on the list. I asked where my bags were so I could go retrieve them. He said they would be where I dropped them off. I went to the curb but my bags were in a storage room, not next in line as bags were being moved off the curb as I was trying to retrieve my bags. Once out of storage I asked to take the trolley so I could get my bags to my room, he said this is not allowed...I ask, Why did the bellhop manager not take care of this once I was at his desk, but instead referred me to go get my bags at the curb side? This is the Hilton! Why does a guest have to be put under this duress about a simple function of delivering bags to a guests room?! I asked to see the manager, who was at best complacent and disinterested. He did take action once the disappointment in Hilton was made clear, but this took me threatening a poor review, and expressing my total displeasure with the Hilton Hotel chain ( 'I expect this service from Motel 6...').

In the end I received my bags, my work was compromised, and I never got any acknowledgment that this service situation was sub-standard, nor some recognition from Hilton that this kind of service is of an unacceptable standard from this chain.

In the morning my wife and I took extra time to prearrange our time to get our bags to the curb as we could I'll afford this type of behavior, we had to catch a flight, and an hour delay seems ok to this hotel.

When I voiced my displeasure at check out the attending agent said nothing more than 'Sorry to hear that'...but, with a smile, so this was very nice...

My wife and I have stayed in many (over 10) hotels in New Orleans, and for the price, for the name and expected service, Hilton Riverside is by far the worse hotel I have ever stayed at. If you want flash and you have cash, stay here. But for those who are willing to look around, you will find this is your least favorite option. I can't mention other hotels by name, but there is so many that give service and GREAT bang-for- the buck value and experience.

1  Thank Matt G

Matt G,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you had during your recent stay with us. We do our best to meet and exceed the needs of our guests from reservation to departure so that all may enjoy their stay and we regret having dropped the ball. We have shared your concerns with our Front Desk teams so we may work to better preserve the comfort of our guests moving forward. We hope you will give us another chance to show you the quality hospitality you deserve, should you return to our area in the future.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

This was a nice hotel. At first we had a room overlooking the city, it was nice but we wanted a view of the river, we simply called the front desk and they changed our room for us right away. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. We loved the location of this hotel because it's right on the river, across the street from the Harrah's casino and a short walk/drive to downtown.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river are beautiful
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

ChelseaRaeRae,

Thank you so very much for taking time to share your hotel review with us on Trip Advisor. We always enjoy hearing what our guests have to say about their stay. I have shared your comments with the team and we all appreciate your review. We enjoyed having you here and look forward to that next opportunity when we can welcome you back once again.