“Nice hotel, good location”

Courtyard New Orleans Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #25 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Nice hotel, good location”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

During my present cross country excursion I've stayed in many Marriott branded hotels and this one was one of the better ones for cleanliness and service. They've all been pretty clean and tidy, but the staff here seemed to be extra nice and friendly. For breakfast, the girl remembered my order from the previous day, and even my room number since I forgot it. I've been staying in so many hotels during this trip, one hotel room number blurs into the next.

The hotel is not right in the center of town near the French Quarter, but then it also isn't as expensive as those in that location. But it's only a few blocks from there and it's an easy walk and we felt safe even at night.

The downside, if there is one, is that it costs to park your car. But all hotels charge for parking. So we just accepted it. But you can go in and out with your car as many times as you want for the same $21.00/day.

It is tucked away in tiny side streets so it can be a little hard to find if you aren't familiar with the area. Once you get off of the 90 Fwy, just go south on St. Joseph to St. Peter and turn left (east). Then it's on the next block, the corner of St. Peter and Julia and you can just pull into the driveway to the front door.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Great location as you can walk to Convention Center, as well as great nearby restaurants like Emerils. Place is nice and clean and has parking on site, although about 35/day.
They have a snack restaurant but not a real one.

Room Tip: walk to things
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Allison H, General Manager at Courtyard New Orleans Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Greetings Yazzi-

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at my hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to having you back again during your next visit to New Orleans.

Warm Wishes,
San Rafael
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Just got back from a long weekend there - arrived late Thursday night and found that our room, which was on the street (facing S. Peters Street) - there's a nice club across the street called The Red Eye. However, a band was playing there and while there wasn't an annoying amount of noise from the club, the bass that was playing actually VIBRATED our windows repeatedly all night long. We thought it was us, but met two other folks who had the same experience.

To the staff's credit, they did move our room the next day and the room we eventually got to was wonderful - a comfortable bed, spacious room and a balcony overlooking the pool (for which it was a bit too cold). Katrina in particular was especially helpful.

Overall, it's not a luxurious hotel in any way, but as long as you stay off the street it's a good value. We had free WiFi in the room, and there's a nice cafe in the lobby, plus a gym and the aforementioned pool. If you are at the Convention Center or want to stay in the Warehouse district, it's a nice value.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY ON THE S. PETERS STREET SIDE. Impossible to sleep through the ruckus. There is no room...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Oregon City, Oregon
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I spent a week at this Courtyard and was impressed that the every staff member I had an interaction with during that week was helpful, professional and personable. Wow!
The room was fine, the beds were very comfortable and my room was pretty quiet. The restaurant is very limited but adequate for breakfast. I also liked the fact that I could have a glass of wine in the hotel. I would stay here again any time I was attending an event at the convention center.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side that is most likely to not have a parade.
Dear AnneCee-

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I have shared your comments with our staff and i am glad to hear they were helpful, professional and personable. Thank you for sharing!

Utah
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We stayed at this Courtyard for one night following a cruise. The location was perfect -- close enough to walk with our bags. The entrance is off the street which makes the hotel feel quiet and private. The room was nice enough, with a view of the pool area. It appeared that some rooms had a view of the valet parking area which would have been much less desirable.

We would stay here again after a cruise or if we had an event in the convention center. Otherwise it was fairly ordinary. We needed to rent a car for a day and found a Hertz location a short walk away, across from the convention center and near the Marriott. The convenience was what made this hotel shine.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ptut
Grimsby, Canada
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This hotel is pretty bare bones. Yes, if you have an event at the convention center it is nice and close and that part is good. It also has a Starbucks in the lobby which is convenient given the line ups for food at the convention center. The rooms themselves are pretty bare bones and considering what I paid (1600 for 4 nights!) I typically would expect much more. Needless to say for the last 3 nights I transferred over to the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon which was much better value for the money.
If you are planning on coming to New Orleans during a convention make sure you book WAY in advance. Otherwise you will over pay. This is a 2 star hotel plain and simple. It has an ok pool and hot tub and a mediocre gym. Nothing special and what you'd expect to find at a Holiday Inn Express. I wouldn't stay there again unless I was stuck for a place to stay.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else if you can. Terrible value for the dollar.
1 Thank Purenergy12
Allison H, General Manager at Courtyard New Orleans Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Greetings Pureenergy12,

I am sorry to read that our property did not meet your expectations during your recent visit to New Orleans. Because of our location, our rates can be higher during a convention but are always comparable to other hotels near the Convention Center. I am sorry you felt that you overpaid for your stay with us. I am available at 504-598-9898 if you would like to share your concerns with me personally.

Warm Regards,
Fresno, California
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This is great place to stay when visiting New Orleans. Walking distance to everything. Very friendly and helpful people working in the hotel. Rooms were ok, not that a lot of time was spent in the room. Rate were very reasonable. A definate sty for business travel.

Dear Mike M-

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our property is in a great location and I am happy to hear that you were able to walk to near by restaurants and attractions.

We look forward to having you back the next time you are visiting New Orleans!