“A dog nightmare”

Ranked #88 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Louisville, Kentucky, USA
“A dog nightmare”
Reviewed 13 June 2012

If you don't mind dogs barking all day and night fine. They have dogs everywhere. The girl at the front desk was terrible. I reserved 3 months before arriving and they put me on the dog floor. They would not help us. Stay away! I am destroying my LQ membership card

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank robertlQ7029PW

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
North Louisiana
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Stayed here May 14-17 2012. We rented the Executive King Suite with two rooms ..... I traveled with my parents and small son and we booked this room because it was cheaper than getting two seperate rooms! My only complaint was the bed for the living area was a couch that became a bed....I was assuming a pull out however bassically you put the top cushion on the floor next to the other cushion. Worked great for me and my son however if it was older couples or someone with back issues might have been difficult. I loved my view....it wasn't Bourbon or Royal but there was steady traffic vehicle and people and just to people watch it was great! We were a short walk from Canal St or Poydras so perfect location for us and the Canal Streetcar stops there at Canal/Camp. We used the valet parking and it was well worth it! We called from the room and our vehicle was waiting for us. As far as the breakfast I've read lots of complaints about it but I have none......it was small but enough to get us to lunch. And if you don't want their breakfast Red Gravy is just down the street and word is they are great although I never did try it. Also there is a lil restaurant across from the hotel on Camp that stayed busy but never tried it either. Also St Charles Street is right behind Camp St and a short block walk up Gravier to St Charles for stuff to do or Magazine St is just infront of Camp St. Will stay here again!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Eva S
Michigan
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Room was reasonably sized and clean. Several thick, fluffy pillows. TV had plenty of channels and the picture was excellent. Mattress was a bit soft for my liking but overall fine. I requested a room in a quiet area was placed at the end of the hall, facing a side street, which was appreciated. Staff were friendly and efficient. Breakfast had the usual plain bread, bagels, yogurt, cereal (raisin bran and frosted flakes), instant oatmeal but did include waffle makers and sliced fresh fruit, which was appreciated. Real cream for the suprisingly good coffee but they ran out (of cream) on the second day. Hotel is two short blocks to the French Quarter and a fifteen minute walk to the river and the WWII museum. The Sheraton down the street has a Starbuck's.

My only real complaint about the hotel itself is that the room door hinges are very strong, causing the doors to loudly SLAM shut. It is actually hard to shut the doors quietly and it takes some muscle to get them open. Other reviewers stated that they heard noise through the walls but that was not an issue for me.

One other thing to note is that there are very few "family style" restaurants in the immediate area where you can get a basic dinner without spending a fortune. There is an IHOP and an Arby's on Canal St (two blocks east), and a burger place two blocks west (forget the name), but others tend to have main courses in the $18-30 range (appetizer and salad extra) and really are not appropriate for kids. There are some options in the French Quarter but that area in general may also not be appropriate for kids. Also no grocery stores nearby. I got out of a business meeting late one day and just wanted a simple plate of pasta but there was nothing. I ended up at a tapas place (Ramalo's) where the food and service were outstanding but far fancier than I needed (or desired) and ended up costing me about twice as much as I wanted to spend, even though the waiter gave me a deal.

Room Tip: Request one in a quiet area and not on a pet friendly floor. Street noise is considerable so ask for...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank SuisseGal
Starkville
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We arrived hours before our scheduled check in. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We were in a room in minutes. Every staff member greeted us each time we were seen. The room was clean and comfortable. The location is great; less than a mile of Harrah's, Bourbon Street, and the Aquarium. Rooms were also quiet.
My only complaint is that the breakfast area was small for the amount of people there, but the breakfast was better than most hotel's free breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Taylor D
New York
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This was the forth year I had stayed here during Jazz Fest. Booked last year when rooms first available, so got a bargain price. Used hotel points for one night.
The rooms are extremely spacious and nice. Not a lot of outside noise, and good service. Did have to go downstairs for towels, but got them promptly, so no issue.

The staff is wonderful and many are long time employees who do a great job. Especially the manager and Summer, always welcoming with smiles.

The breakfast is very good, with a nonstop running employee that does a thankless job, always refreshing coffee, and hot water. Emptying trash, replacing items. Never irrated at requests, but, really could use some help, especially at peak times. :)

Next years rates are up- yikes, way up there for the Jazz Fest. It looks like points are available for use. :)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple