“Outdated but Clean”

Hyatt Place New Orleans/Convention Center
Ranked #52 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Place for 8 nights while on business in NOLA. The hotel is in a prime location - right across the street from the convention center, within walking distance to the French Quarter, and only a block away from the warehouse district.

My room was very clean, although smelled very musty. I am not sure if this is due to the proximity of the river? The room featured a king sized bed, a HUGE TV, and an L-shaped couch. This was a great feature, as it's always nice to have space to relax that's not the bed. The bathroom was tiny, but the shower was a good size. Room service was great about replacing towels and toiletries.

This hotel has no room service, which was disappointing. They do have a "market" downstairs where you can order food to go, as well as a bar. I had the hummus trio plate as a snack one afternoon and it was surprisingly good.

The hotel has free breakfast that starts at 6:30, which is great for families or a business traveler. The coffee was always fresh and ready.

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again. It is not fancy, but is clean and comfortable, in a great location.

Room Tip: Choose a room towards the back corner of your floor. The ones that overlook the 3rd floor breakfast...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sally B
Hyatt_Place-NOLA, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Place New Orleans/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! We definitely agree with you, that having a couch area in all of our rooms is very nice, especially if you want to relax, but not necessarily in the same place that you sleep. I’m sure, for a business traveler, this is particularly nice. We will look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New Orleans!

Guest Relations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I recently stayed here for two nights. I called on three occasions to ensure that my room would have two queen beds and was assured both times it was set that way. One time it was even confirmed by the property manager. The beds are hard and uncomfortable. The staff was rude and not friendly. I suggest you stay elsewhere.

1  Thank Chenry7881
Hyatt_Place-NOLA, General Manager at Hyatt Place New Orleans/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you for staying at the Hyatt Place New Orleans. I apologize that your efforts to change your room reservations was unsuccessful as well as your experience with our staff.

We typically don’t receive comments of this nature and apologize for your experience. We will review your comments with our gallery team however appreciate additional details regarding your service encounter so we can properly address with the staff that you interacted with.

We want our guest to have a great experience and I apologize that we did not meet the expectations and standards we have established for ourselves. Feel free to contact me at 504-571-7710 as I welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

This was our first overnight in New Orleans. We arrived on March 15 tired, in the mid-afternoon, and were expecting a smooth registration --which was the farthest thing from our actual experience. First they were understaffed: there was a long line to register. Second, they had our reservation wrong: 1 king bed instead of two queens (I showed them our reservation- make sure you bring yours!). Third, what we paid on Trip Advisor and the going rate for that one evening was $100 different --we overpaid $100. When asked about this, we had to keep going up the chain to get an answer. The staff tried to help. Finally about an hour later the manager said "this is a business, what they charge versus what we paid is not our business, and that we never should have been told the daily rate!" He never was sympathetic nor apologetic nor helpful; just angry at me for questioning.

I ended up clearing up the financial problem with TripAdvisor. But that wasn't the end of it. The Hyatt kept giving us the key to rooms with only one bed in them --though they thought there were two beds inside. After the third attempt we finally were given a room with two beds.

The room itself was OK, but located right outside the place where they serve breakfast. It was loud in the morning. This area is in the center of the building: all of the rooms on the third floor encircle it and balconies above. It was chaotic! Breakfast was served buffet style and had both hot and cold items --the usual: scrambled eggs, sausage, yogurt, cereals, etc. Nothing special or like their pictures showed. There was very little food out when we arrived as it had been all eaten and not replenished. There was no china or silverware either. It had all been used up. The staff just couldn't keep up. People were taking whatever they could find to eat out of (I had to use a cereal bowl). I don't know if it is always inadequate, but it truly was that day.

When we checked out it took over 30 minutes to get out car which they parked 1/2 block away and the valet didn't know where the key was. It took another 30 minutes to find who had the key. Once the key was found we walked to where they parked it, loaded it ourselves, and got the heck out of there thankful we weren't staying there any more nights!

Room Tip: Not on the third floor
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank HPExplorers4

Thank you for staying at the Hyatt Place New Orleans as well as for taking time to complete a review of our hotel. I was disappointed to read of your experience at our hotel and apologize that our team didn't do a better job of addressing your concerns as well as your perception that our response lacked empathy which was certainly not our intent.

Our team should have responded more efficiently to the misunderstanding of your room being booked through Trip Advisor versus Expedia, parking inclusive package, as well as properly qualifying your room type needs upon arrival. With your reservation being booked for one guest, a member of our team adjusted your reservation for a king room as they were attempting to better accommodate your stay with us. I apologize for your experience regarding our breakfast as that isn't the experience we want our guest to have nor is this the experience of the majority of our guest… our breakfast is most often perceived as a great value and a very pleasant surprise in terms of quality and offerings when compared to similar hotels. Our team works very hard to prepare appropriately to take care of all guests. Unfortunately that is sometimes difficult when rooms have more guests staying than registered for the room. Our successful preparation hinges on the information provided by our guest during the reservation process in terms of expected occupancy.

Thank you for sharing your unfortunate experience upon your departure with our valet service. Your feedback is extremely helpful and appreciated. I assure you it will be addressed with our Valet Team to prevent similar occurrences in the future. As a gesture of good will, I have made an adjustment for your charges for valet.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Noisy design (open Atrium without any advantage for guests, constant source of noise,, all rooms face the atrium with a few exceptions, TV blaring constantly. Very pleasant but largely untrained staff, with no provision for true hotel services. Breakfast is adequate for a 100/night hotel, but we paid 200+ and this is horrible. Not close to worth this price. Rooms are adequate but not special. Mattress is comfortable, sort of, at least. Noise issue addressed to the extent possible by management but really not capable of controlling clientele with habit of talking loudly in the echoing corridors late at night, and the design only amplifies the noises. Neighborhood is convenient and up and coming, interesting, excellent restaurants if you wish to explore.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank feinschmeckerpartout
Hyatt_Place-NOLA, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Place New Orleans/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you for staying with us as well as taking the time to review our hotel, your comments are appreciated. I apologize for your experience and assure you this is something that we are in the process of addressing. The atrium is a unique part of the design of the hotel, however we are taking measures to ensure the noise will be kept to a minimum. We appreciate your feedback and we view it as a way to improve as we are still a fairly new hotel. We would love the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel and show you our team's effort to continually improve upon all aspects of our hotel.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

This is the kind of hotel I classify as perfect the staff were great and helpful. The value was decent and the distance from the French quarter seems not to far away. Also as I pulled up to the front door I didn't not feel as afraid as all the stories I'd heard I felt a level of calm and felt right at home.

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We were so excited to read your wonderful review. We try our best to make each guest feel comfortable and at home and the fact that you felt that way truly puts a smile on our faces. We will look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New Orleans!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

A decent hotel, but be weary of leaving any belonging with the bell hop. I had a few things taken out of by bag including Sony Headphones and ipod. I spoke with the manager and was told that I needed to file a police report before they would do anything. Most unfortunate.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Hyatt_Place-NOLA, General Manager at Hyatt Place New Orleans/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you for staying with us as well as taking the time to review our hotel, your comments are appreciated. I was disappointed to see your comments regarding the missing items from your bag as well as the initial communication with you and a member of our staff. I apologize for your experience and assure you this is not typical. Unfortunately, we have not been able to reach you for follow-up to get additional details of the incident. We take incidents of this nature seriously and look forward to speaking with you so we can properly address.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Good value for the area. Room was clean with comfy beds. Staff was very helpful with recommendations for restaurants. Breakfast was best we had on week long trip in Florida. Also very close to parking garage with valet available if you so choose.