“A comfortable, well located hotel”

Hampton Inn New Orleans - St Charles Ave / Garden District
Ranked #15 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 25 March 2013

My wife and I spent three very pleasant nights at the Hampton Inn Garden District. The room was bright and comfortable, with good, free wi-fi. The breakfast, while not gourmet, was nourishing. I tended to go for the oatmeal with nuts and raisins, along with the fruit and coffee. Waffles and eggs were available, but I tried to eat lightly and save my calories for po' boys and other New Orleans specialties. Parking was very convenient and the staff, friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,059)

Reviewed 15 March 2013

I completely recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in New Orleans! Especially those who do not want to deal with staying downtown! Free breakfast is very good! The staff is very nice, especially Rory, Brandi, Gwen and Rose!

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Read the review about the bad beds and that was not my experience. Maybe the rooms have been upgraded since then. Anyway, my daughter and I were visiting Tulane so I was looking for convenience to both Tulane and French Quarter and a location where I felt safe. Hampton Inn answered both requirements. Staff very helpful, standard Hampton Inn breakfast, small manager reception ithe afternoon. Ate at Superior Seafood and Sucre, which were within walking distance and delicious.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Deborah M
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I am a road warrior and have stayed in my share of properties. Architectually, this one is not your standard Hampton Inn and the lobby is very gentile and cool. I found it very quiet and had the best nights sleep in an urban hotel in a long while. I am pretty low maintenance but found the staff friendly and accomodating. The breakfast was standard Hampton Inn. This is a business trip and I must venture off to the swamps each day so its a little bit further of a drive for me than Kenner. Bear in mind, even though parking is included, if you venture to the Quarter you'll either have to pick up a cab or parking on that end (which is not cheap). I typically head to small joints the locals frequent in Kenner and Metarie and the parking is free so this Hampton is a pretty good deal. I like it a lot better than staying in one of the places around the airport which I find souless.

Room Tip: I didnt have much of a view, facing the alley and the next hotel over but it was very quite and I si...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I have stayed here twice, each time for three nights on business. I go to NOLA once or twice a year, and with a few changes, this would be my favorite hotel. The title is the short story of my most recent stay. The location is excellent. The French Quarter is a trolley ride away, and Magazine street is a walk, and St. Charles is outside the door. Just about perfect.

Requested a room with two doubles, and the beds were both terrible—far below Hampton Inn standards.
The area around the elevators stunk of insecticide or insecticide-smelling cleaner, and the floor where my room was located smelled terrible too, something between vomit and chemicals. A young man was walking down the hall spraying Febreze™. And another man was painting. The hall was full of service staff. (@ 3:00 p.m.) Not good omens.

All the six beds I saw in this hotel were of the quality that you would have to go to the cheapest mattress store to buy for someone you hoped would leave very soon. The supporting metal piece running around the upper edge of the bed is prominent and the springs are prominent, too. When you move on this kind of bed, you hear the paper and springs that compose its innards crackling and creaking. Awful stuff for the back. You can have a terrible night on one of these babies and wake up to a painful day.

While the water pressure was good, the toilet was did not flush properly in the first room I got, and the plumbing noises from other rooms were quite LOUD in both the rooms with which I had experience.

Seating in the rooms (uncomfortable dining-room type chairs) was awful.

If you are near the front of the hotel, you will hear the street cars rolling and braking at regular intervals from early am until about 11 p.m. It can't be helped.

After the first uncomfortable night, I was offered another room. The desk staff was excellent. The manager was invisible.

The beds in the second room I looked at were, if anything, more used up than the first, and it appeared that the safety latch on the adjoining room door was broken. So I looked at a third room that morning and thought the bed there was slightly less broken down (but from the same stock) and took that room. I doubled the extra blanket (from the closet) and placed it under the mattress pad to make the bed somewhat "firmer" and to increase the padding between me and the springs. (I don't move about much when I sleep, so that helped.)

This hotel has a lot of plusses (shown in the title), and it is a good place for a small meeting.The set up, food and beverage services, the staff providing those services, and amenities in the lobby area are excellent. There is lobby noise from time to time that filters into the meeting room. The staff is attentive, helpful, and resourceful, and they do try to accommodate travelers.

Suggestions: loose the fell-off-the-truck mattresses, get at least one decent chair in each room, find some hypo-allergenic, non-irritating cleaning supplies, vet the plumbing and maintenance items through the staff, not the guests.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
beuper, General Manager at Hampton Inn New Orleans - St Charles Ave / Garden District, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

We stayed two nights and really enjoyed the location. We wanted a quiet hotel away from the Quarter and this is it. Safe location, easy to find, updated and clean, free parking, close to streetcar pickup and complimentary breakfast and evening snacks. I would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the front of the hotel for a view
Reviewed 11 March 2013

The staff were helpful (if a bit sparse). Approached from St. Charles Ave. the hotel is fronted by a semi-circular driveway in keeping with the style of the Garden District. The lobby is well decorated and set out nicely for the pleasant breakfast served daily. The patio and lap pool are a nice place to relax with a cup of Hampton Inn's signature coffee. The streetcar runs out front, which means you can leave your car in the free parking lot and go back and forth to downtown locations or the convention center without worrying about finding a place to park.

The rooms are standard sized, consistent with the older infrastructure of the building. The bathroom is reasonably large but offers only a stall shower and no tub.

Our room was one of an adjoining set and as a result, did not have a closet at all, but provided an armoire. This was the second room we had here. We asked to be moved from the first one because of the one commonly reported flaw in this hotel: elevator noise.

Our first room abutted the elevator shaft and in less than 10 minutes, it was clear that the noise was going to be a problem. We asked to be moved from this room (which did have a small closet) and were given a room across the hall from the elevator lobby. Unfortunately, that made little difference in the volume of elevator noise. Adding to the problem was the noise of the neighbors, who got into an argument shortly after we arrived.

Be advised that the room doors close automatically and that this adds to the noise factor, as people seem not to know that if they let go of the door it will ultimately slam into place with a bang that reverberates thoughout the corridors. Should you happen to be in your room when the cleaning people start work, you will find that they always allow the doors to slam and do it multiple times for each room serviced.

Room Tip: Ask to be at the far end of the hallway. As far away from the elevator as possible.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business