“Like being the lady of the manor”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Antebellum Guest House
Ranked #51 of 137 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Gastonia, North Carolina
“Like being the lady of the manor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2011

Over the years I've stayed at many B&B's and this is ABSOLUTELY the most wonderful. Keith and Art made sure we were comfy and well taken care of. Breakfast was lovely. Most folks only use their silver on special occasion, but every breakfast is special @ The Antebellum.
Location is perfect.
Ask about their Katrina survival story. Amazing. They are just wonderful, quality people sharing their love of the historical and cultural treasure that is New Orleans.
Honestly, I can't imagine staying anywhere else next time I go back

RHO

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2010

We loved this B&B. We stayed over New Year's Eve 2009. We were in the two bedroom suite at the top of the stairs. The house was beautiful - especially the amazing Christmas tree! Keith and Art were the perfect hosts. Keith was so kind and welcoming, and Art always had the most interesting stories to share at breakfast. It truly felt like we were guests in their home. You can read the other reviews to hear about breakfasts. You won't believe it until you see it yourself. I'll just say that eggs in cream is my new favorite breakfast, and every morning breakfast was as beautiful as it was delicious - we even took photographs! There were four of us in the suite and my only complaint was that we seemed to run out of hot water after the second or third person showered, so at least one of us always had a cold shower. The soaps provided were wonderful - hand made and very subtle scents - loved them! If we ever make it down to NO again, this is the only place we will stay. Just wonderful!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
achara33
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

If you're a B&B person you'll love Antebellum... it's like staying with a good friend. We could not have been more pleased with our choice of Bed & Breakfast and with Keith the inn keeper/owner. Antebellum is historic, nicely decorated and within walking distance of the French Quarter, though we choose to use the bikes that were available to us. The rooms are spacious, clean, the bed was very comfy and there were handmade soaps as well as various shampoos stocked. We stayed in the Bordello Room which has the most beautiful bed. Side note: there are some pictures in the room with nudity that may bother some... they are of the girls that worked in Storyville (Red Light District). There is a pleasant seating area which is located in the beautiful rear courtyard, with access to the hot tub nearby. We also enjoyed having access to the refrigerator to store left overs.
On our way to New Orleans my husband hurt his back really bad and was not able to move around much for about four days, a couple of them he could not even leave the room. Owner and host, Keith was the star of our stay... he made breakfast in bed (3 courses) for my husband which was served on a silver platter. On another day, Keith guessed we had not had lunch due to my hubby's back issues and made a wonderful meal and brought it up to our room. Also, my husband had not had the pleasure of tasting Cafe Du Monde's chicory coffee Au Lait. Keith suggested he make it special for my hubby and brought it up to our room- served again on a silver platter. I forgot my cell and Keith insisted I take his, so my hubby did not worry while I was out. The list goes on and on in regards how great Keith is.... he makes you feel like your a close friend and not just a guest.
OK on to more practical stuff about our stay. Keith is extremely helpful in giving tips about area restaurants (Commanders Palace was wonderful) and other local features, providing directions to specific locations, allowing use of his computer (the free wifi can be tricky in certain rooms), and gladly answering all questions. He introduced residents to each other and made us feel at home and comfortable with each other. Which brings me to the best part of our stay here... the old time homemade breakfast!!! You are missing out if don't experience Keith's cooking. He put many local NOLA restaurants to shame- Seriously. My husband said this is what saved this trip from being the worst ever (due to his back)- the breakfast. We were offered sophisticated regional cuisine in an elegant and romantic setting. The menu highlighted fresh, local ingredients, all created with exceptional attention to detail and we got three courses! I appreciate detail and I was not disappointed.
We have stayed in many B&B's all over the country and this has to be one of the best stays in regards to food and service. Thank you Keith for making what could have been the worst trip ever a good one. We hope to visit you again which says a great deal, because we usually like to try new places when we travel, but we wound not stay anywhere else in NOLA. God Bless.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2010

My stay at the Antebellum Guest House was phenomenal and I highly recommend those who appreciate bed and breakfasts to do the same.

The house is beautiful and full of charm. A virtual museum of interesting artifacts, historical pieces, and stylish decor, one could get lost just exploring the detail. Located on one of the most beautiful streets in New Orleans, it was a short walk to the quarter.

The rooms were beautiful and I slept well on the high beds. Lavishly decorated, the rooms each have a personality of their own.

This is a B and B that emphasizes breakfast. Copious amounts of fresh fruit come first followed by some glorious creation that owner Keith has lovingly whipped up! His creativity matched with a love of old recipes equals a breakfast feast that is unrivaled. I definitely felt indulgent each morning as I finished the meal satisfied with my taste buds awake and my belly full.

Most importantly, Keith and Art were consummate hosts as they went out of their way at each turn to make my stay more enjoyable. I could not have asked for a better experience. I feel like I made friends and have a home away from home in New Orleans.

Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2010

My first review, but we (my wife and I) enjoyed our stay SO much at this 19th century B&B. I second all that was said above. Yes, the breakfasts were just superb, Keith cooks from 19th C vintage recipes he has gathered. (He needs to write a cook book.) Yes, hosts Keith and Art were just terrific. Helpful, interesting, funny, charming, good natured. Yes, the interiors were lush with antiques and figures and period furniture, hand cranked music boxes and tiny pipe organs, etc. etc. etc. Did I mention the breakfasts?

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Silver Spring, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2010

The Antebellum Guesthouse is a B&B with particular emphasis on the 2nd B. Innkeeper Keith dazzles every morning with 3-course breakfasts and recipes from 19th century cookbooks. You get started with a beautifully arranged fruit platter. Then comes a pastry that is usually homemade ( Keith admits that the croissants are store-bought). The main dish is often something sinfully delicious and steeped in the traditions of a by-gone age. If you are lucky enough to be there when he serves "short eggs in cream," you will never want your eggs prepared any other way. The coffee, which used to be weak, especially by New Orleans standards, has improved greatly since Keith switched from drip to percolater.
The courtyard is splendid. It has both old New Orleans charm and a sunken jacuzzi. Our room, the Roccoco room, was accessible from the side gate. It is small, but the 20-foot ceiling mitigates any clostrophobia. We would prefer that the bathroom not be carpeted.
The location is great. It is in Treme and is only 3 blocks from the French Quarter. Also walking distance is the neighborhood called Marigny with plenty of nightlife and restaurants on Frenchmen St.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2009

Everything about our experience at the Antebellum Guest House was perfect. The property is gorgeous and lovingly and authentically decorated. The owners have a fantastic design sense, in addition to being great hosts. They are welcoming and friendly without being intrusive (though we ended up cornering them and talking for hours over a bottle of wine). The breakfast was delicious. The location is great - not noisy because it isn't in the middle of the French Quarter but it is in walking distance. We intend to return every year when we make our annual visit to New Orleans! I wholeheartedly recommend this Inn without any reservation to anyone!

Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple