“Great city - lots of great historical buildings, great food and scenery” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of New Orleans

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Neighbourhoods
Neighbourhoods
Gilbert, Arizona
19 helpful votes
“Great city - lots of great historical buildings, great food and scenery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2010

Definitely stay in the French Quarter if you want to be near many great buildings, restaurants and sites. You can easily walk to the street car to take you to the cemetery and beautiful homes in the garden district. I highly recommend Muriels for a restaurant and that you go to the plantations that are about an hour to an hour and a half away. There are many tours or you can certainly drive yourself.

1 Thank BUZZFUNGIRL
Denver, Colorado
8 helpful votes
“My favorite place on earth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2010

I grew up in New Orleans and I am biased! However, I have lived in Denver for long enough to consider my visits to The Big Easy vacations. Even though my dad still lives there, I stay in hotels and try new restauarants each time I go home.

It is a haunting and beautiful city. You can't imagine a place more green and lush. Mardi Gras is a blast, but if you have never been before, start with Jazz Fest instead. The scene is still crazy, but not as manic as Mardi Gras. What do you think when someone says "county fair food"? Well, imagine the exact opposite and that is what you will be eating at Jazz Fest. Amazing crawfish fettuccini, delicious aligator pie (yeah, I said it). And the music doesn't stop...

Or- just go whenever!

Fried seafood platter at Deannie's (bucktown or french quarter)
Wood fired oysters at Cochon
Prosciutto, brie & honey sandwich at Stein's Deli

Mmmm...

1 Thank gardenlady04
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
13 helpful votes
“Pleasently surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2010

My wife always wanted to go to New Orleans; my sister goes there every year but for me - no way! The only time I had seen anything about the city it was always a disaster or Mardi Gras. "What a decadent, humid, hell-hole" was my thought about NOLA. But one trip changed all that!
Yes, bad things can happen on a grand scale there and yes, there is surely drunken excess on Bourbon Street but this is only part of the city. If you visit only for the music, food and history (which was my plan) you will have a great time.
There is music everywhere, in clubs, in parks and on the street. In fact you would be hard pressed in the French Quarter not to find music. You can hear top new bands to the middle school kids making a few bucks in front of the Cathedral while they play the tunes they are practicing. Zydeco night at the Rock and Bowl was a real highlight for us.
The food is varied and tasty. Can't tell Creole from Cajun? Don't worry it’s all good and there are lots of places you can get filled in on the details. We only had one bad meal- at cafe Nigril- but the music is what we came for there. Everything else was great from the Cupcake Bakery at Breakfast to NOLA for lunch. Try the New Orleans School of cooking for a good meal and lots of fun.
As far as history goes its everywhere. The Cabildo is a place to see an overview from native people to present. To get a more in depth view of the history of the city and environs try Historic New Orleans Tours. They do a great job of explaining not only the what but the why of the numerous sites in the area.
Take a look before you go for the best places to visit, when to go (not summer unless you love to sweat) where to stay and what to see. A great place to start is right here at Trip Advisor. But let New Orleans change your mind for you. Go even if you think you might not like it – You may be pleasantly surprised.

4 Thank WeddingRingStaysOn
Texas
1 helpful vote
“A City you need to visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2010

I just loved my visit to this unique city.

I would recommend that you stay at a location near the trolley line because everything you want to do/visit you can do without driving by using the trolley line. I think this city is great and would make a great new destination for a family trip; they have great food, shops, and attractions are are so many things in New Orleans that you won't find anywhere else.

However, I would recommend that you not visit during Madri Gras if you are traveling with children or during the summer because the heat can be a bit unbearable.

1 Thank ammanzan
Plainview, NY
1 helpful vote
“A Short Trip to New Orleans”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

I would highly recommend the World War II Museum, and the Aquarium in addition to the usual places in the French Quarter. Certainly take a city tour to capture the flavor; and devastations of parts of New Orleans.

1 Thank Walkingamongcultures

Been to New Orleans? Share your experiences!