“Nice cozy place”

Ranked #4 of 21 Restaurants in Volcan
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 November 2012 via mobile

We wanted to go because of the good reviews this place got...but one of the negative things is the location. We have to go asking people around to find the place because is not nearby the town but have to go in a stoney road far away from the city like half mile from the main road to found that little house and at night is a little bit scary. Once you got there the food and the familiarity is excellent. Homemade food and the plus side is they harvest the vegetables and spices from their own garden making everything very fresh. It keeps changing the menu everyday depending of what they got.

1  Thank Ricech03
There are newer reviews for Cerro Brujo Gourmet

Reviewed 27 September 2012

Patricia the host is a first class gourmet chef and the food is incredable, a bit pricy but great place for to take a partner for a romantic night.

1  Thank Panamajock E
Reviewed 2 July 2011

My wife and I along with two friends have lived in Panama for over three years. This was my wife and my first trip to the Volcan area and all of our first stop at this restaurant. We decided to go here because of the couple of reviews on TripAdvisor. Boy we were NOT disappointed.

It is 1 Km off the main road. The first .5 Km is a normal road with pot holes the final is rough river rock type road. The road then slits stay right and it is just on the right. Don't worry you can make it easy. It is worth it.

They have a very limited menu. There were three starters (a great eggplant dish, a big salad, and soup). The eggplant dish was truly gourmet. Great flavor and taste. It was around $5. A little small but excellent. The salad was big and the dressing was very tasty. No one had the soup but I bet it was great.

Plenty of bread was served along with a seasoned butter. We had a bottle red wine. They only had one brand and type. It was an Argentina wine. It was very good for $12.50.

The main dish was a filet minion, chicken breast or grilled Tuna. Being here in Panama, I never ever get the beef. It is tough and gamey. Based on reviews I rolled the dice. It was excellent. It was local beef and it had great flavor. I'm guessing it was between 8 and 10 oz. I ordered it medium-rare and another miracle occurred. It came out perfect. I would get it again in a blink of the eye!

Two others got the chicken and it was cooked perfect. Juicy and tender. The sauce was wonderful. It was a sweet and spicy tomato based sauce. They brought out a plate of yucca frita (fired yucca) to share. It was excellent as well.

There was only one dessert. Banana Foster. We had to try it even though we were full. It was great. Served in a martini glass with two scoops of vanilla ice cream. They use real brandy. The flavor was superb.

My wife and I ate for $48. That was an appetizer, two entrees (Chicken $9, Beef $12), one desert and a bottle of wine plus tax and tip came to the $48.

We didn't need dinner after that lunch. They opened at 12:30p.m. I'm not sure what days they are open or closed. This was a Thursday noon when we ate.

Again as you come into Volcan from David, the road will be on the right well before you get to the police station. If you get to the police station you went to far. Don't let the drive or the look of the building scare you off. It is worth it.

Like all of Panama, the restaurant has an indoor area that is usually open and an outside seating area. It can be cool especially in the evening in Volcan. Just be prepared for cool temps and a few bugs. This is up country Panama.

1  Thank Stargazerm31
Reviewed 16 February 2011

It may not be the easiest restaurant to find in Volcan, but we do feel it is more than worth the effort. Located in a smartly redecorated residence about a mile or so from the main road through Volcan, Cerro Brujo has a changing menu featuring fresh local ingredients that are skillfully prepared. For openers, we had a fabulous fresh green salad with a superb vinaigarette and eggplant veggie wraps. Both appetizers were a hit. Our entrees consisted of a perfectly sauteed trout and a very tasty pork loin. For dessert, Chef Patricia concocted an excellent delight of fresh strawberries that had been marinated in Striga, an Italian liquor, and vanilla ice cream. Sounds simple, but very satisfying. We have always enjoyed dining with Chef Patricia and look forward to her new culinary ideas on every trip to Volcan.

1  Thank deepsee1
Reviewed 28 July 2009

We've been to Patricia's restaurants and number of times and this is our fourth visit to Cerro Brujo. All meals come with soup, salad and the entree. Dinner started with a wonderfully creamy yellow split pea soup served with a brioche and herb butter. This was followed with a refreshing simple mixed green salad dressed lightly with a fennel seed vinaigrette that was excellent. My wife choose the herbed rabbit that was cooked to perfection. I opted for the chicken with green curry that had just the right amount of spice. Both entrees with served with a French fried yucca chip. Cerro Brujo has a limited wine selection so it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring your favorite bottle along. Patricia's menu choices are daring, especially when you consider that this restaurant is located in the foothill community of Volcan some 300 miles from Panama City.

2  Thank deepsee1