“Incredible Experience”

Mount Totumas Cloud Forest
Ranked #1 of 5 Volcan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 April 2013

This was one of the best stay-experiences I have ever had. First of all, I am a student with little cash and I am working on my thesis project that explore ecotourism within Panama. Jeff and Alma were one of the very few people to keep in contact with me and help me out with my research in Panama, which by itself says loads about their character. When I arrived at Mount Totumas I was blown away by its beauty, comfort, and seclusion. During my stay I say 4 different types of primates, quetzales, hundreds of wild mushrooms, dozens of species of hummingbirds (some of which landed on me and fed on the "hummingbird hat", Ask about it!!) and much much more. Each day I had a new experience and was able to go on a new hike through pristine cloud-forest habitat. The property has more than a half dozen hiking trails that are clearly marked and that were created by local Panamanians with some paint and a machete.

On top of all these amazing experiences, Jeff's knowledge about ecotourism is unprecedented. He was so helpful that Mount Totumas is now a focal point and my main case study in my thesis! If Jeff and Alma happen to be around, definitely take advantage of their knowledge! Mount Totumas is self sustainable, creating its own energy from hydropower. There is nearly zero net waste and there is a lush garden from which you can pick your own vegetables.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 February 2013

As part of a continuing entomological research project I am doing in Panama, I brought a group of entomologist's here in August 2012 for a 2-night stay. The insects, moths, and butterflies we saw were fantastic. Everyone in the group was able to get something they had not seen before, and most have been collecting in the Americas for many years. The variety of nighttime insect life is amazing, providing dozens of subjects for photographing. I plan to bring groups here in the future to continue researching the insect population at different times of the year.

The accommodations are excellent, and the location has beautiful views of the surrounding jungle and forest. I'm permanently adding Mt Totumas to my future itineraries. On my Aug 2012 trip I opted to have Jeffrey's wife, Alma, prepare breakfasts and dinners for the group, and the food was outstanding.... no, it was better than that!!

Anyone who wants to experience the jungles in the higher areas of Panama, yet have the comforts of home, needs to visit here. You will see and hear some great jungle wildlife. Bring a jacket/sweater/raincoat, as it gets chilly up here and can be wet much of the time. I've been coming to Panama for over 38 years, and this is one of the most beautiful places I've seen.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Albert214
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Mount Totumas is a wonderful place. Whether you are interested in the natural history elements or just want a quiet retreat from a hectic lifestyle, it is worth your effort to get there. The American owner/operator, Jeffrey Dietrich and his gracious wife, Alma, make very accommodating hosts that will do everything in their power to arrange just about anything for you, including horseback rides, guided hikes through the forest, or just hanging out on the back deck surrounded by several species of hummingbirds. I was there in May and the quetzals were calling and flying back and forth between several large trees that surround the premises, and I loved hearing the bell birds calling from their perches. I originally intended to stay for a couple of nights, but enjoyed it so much that I ended up there for 5 nights before moving on to explore other areas of Panama. You don't have to be adventurous or even have an interest in birds or animals to enjoy the peace and solitude of Mt. Totumas Cloud Forest Reserve. I intend to return with my granddaughters at some point, so they can see the quetzals too!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Greg L
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I truly loved this place! It was absolutely beautiful! Tucked away in the beautiful rainforest of Panama, this place is a gem! My son and I stayed in the large house and it was a great fit for us. The surroundings are absolutely breath-taking and perfect for hiking, horseback riding, or just hanging out. Jeff, Alma, and Karen (sorry for the misspell) and friends were also staying in the house and we could not have planned for a better time. We had a blast with these fun loving folks! Mount Totumas is the perfect place for people who love to be steeped in nature and yet have the amenities of home.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room off the hallway from the kitchen. Perfect place to hear the rain on the roof...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Colleen S
Reviewed 27 November 2012

My family and I highly enjoyed the amazing natural environment and relaxed friendly atmosphere we experienced at Mount Totumas.

The quiet solitude coupled with active weather patterns, many beautiful birds and the calls of nearby howler monkeys made for an awesome, unworldly and spectacularly invigorating vacation.

The Karrelitz family will never be the same after our Mount Totumas experience.

We plan on returning with friends in the future and my sister Cheryl is thinking of getting married in the cloud forest.

Dr. Evan Karrelitz Phd.
Professor of Bio-Diversity and Sustainability.
University of Stronso

Room Tip: Bring binoculars...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael D
Reviewed 27 November 2012

My group consisted of 5 entomologists in search of new discoveries -- we made several. The accomodations were very cozy and our hosts, Jeff and Alma, were delightful and knowledgeable about the ecosystem and Panama in general. The location is dramatic and ecologically exciting. Strongly recommended for anyone who wants to hike the trails and enjoy the monkeys, birds, and general ambience of a tropical cloud forest adventure.

You absolutely need 4WD to reach it, however--or arrange with Jeff to pick you up in Volcan.

Room Tip: All rooms are basic but comfortable -- the new guest cabin is a delight, and includes a full kitchen...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Jeffrey and his staff have been great and friendly. The house where we stayed at is even nicer than in the picture. amazing relax, you are right in the forest, you can hear many different birds singing just for you, and also some monkeys a little more far away.
Reinaldo took us on a 2 hours hike and it was delicious. I wish we had more time to spend there!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple