“Hotel in the Mountains”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Volcan
Dobbs Ferry, New York, United States
“Hotel in the Mountains”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

A quiet and peaceful hotel with a brook running through the middle of it. It is also 'kid' friendly with a playground area. I stayed two separate nights and found it very restful. The restaurant is average, but has a solid food menu with a varied selection. The view of Volcan Baru as the sun sets is breathtaking.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Paul O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This is my third stay at Dos Rios in four years and I am liking it a little more each time i room there. The grounds are well kept and the rooms are clean with modern bathrooms. The restaurant is merely average and it's difficult to understand how some of the reviewers find it to be "excellent" when every time I have stayed there, some items on the menu are unavailable and I guess. Also, the price of laundry is $1.50 per item which seemed awfully expensive so I took my clothes to a bundle service down the road and had it cleaned for $3.00 a washer load, which came out to 50 cents an item and it was only a half load. Overall this is one of the nicer hotels that I have stayed in while visiting Panama.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are quieter. There are better restaurants in Volcan, just look around.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank berdnerd
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I stayed with my whole family for three nights and enjoyed every minute of it. Been there a number of times in the past and can see that the owners do their best to improve the place. The restaurant is excellent and prices are very good. Atmosfere is perfect.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk about thinks to do in the area, they are very knowledgeable and friendly.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Emanuel D
Panama
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

This historic hotel in the town of Volcan happens to be the undiscovered gem today hidden under the buzz of Boquete as the main destiny for retirement and tourism. We stayed two nights and were very pleased with the place, nice and clean rooms, good attention, convenient restaurant and very reasonable prices. Connected to Boquete through a new road over the mountains by Cuesta de Piedra, we found Volcan as a premier choice with plenty of things to do, and great restaurants without the high prices and frequent unavailability of Boquete.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Arturo L
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I love going back to this hotel every time I come to visit. The staff is very friendly, the gardens are extremely beautiful, and I absolutely enjoy listening to the sounds of nature at night (the rivers).

Last time I suggested to have a better breakfast, the one in the past was very basic. To my surprise, this time around, they completely upgraded the COMPLEMENTARY breakfast and its very good! Eggs, pancakes, cereal, bacon, and lots of fruit!

I was very happy that my suggestion was taken into consideration.

I absolutely recommend going there to stay and eat (it really has the best food in town).

If you can spend a little bit more in the room, I would suggest the suites (they have a private balcony near the river) and its also wider. The WIFI connection was pretty good all around (something I needed to keep up with work back home).

If you want to really feel like you are breathing fresh air and dont mind listening to the river while you sleep, this is the best place for you!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Alejandra S
Panamá City
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in a cabin they named "casita" (lil' house), They also have rooms but my girlfriend and i wanted a quiet place. We even have our own private parking! Breakfast was quite good (picture below) and the sorroundings are awesome. A river go through the hotel property (that's the reason of it's name: Dos Rios) and the garden has a walk-rock-path so you can enjoy watching birds and flowers. A Bar in the outside area that open only on the evening/night completes the property.

Room Tip: Instead of getting a regular room you should try the cabin ( "casita" ) so you can enjoy a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jero420
NE Penna
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I stayed here w/ my husband and his friend/bird guide for 4 nights at the end of July. This is their rainy season, so the hotel was fairly quiet, and the mountain shrouded in mists most of the time. But the grounds are beautiful and the rooms pleasant. The beds were comfortable. I was a little concerned about the lack of a ceiling fan but we didn't need it. Nor did we need the blankets (to Panamanians, it's quite cold there in the mountains--to us, it was cool and pleasant).

We could hear our friend Skyping next door but oddly enough not his tv (nor he ours). If there's a soccer game on TV on the weekend the bar may get noisy but it doesn't seem to go on very late.

The service was very good. You leave your keys at the front desk--after the first day, they would recognize us coming in and have them ready as we walked up. The front desk guy gave us a bucket of ice every night upon request (tiene usted hielo?) and we left our laundry one day--everything was separated and folded, even the plastic bags the clothes had been in!

We ate all our breakfasts and dinners at the onsite restaurant. It's not an extensive menu but everything we had was good. Try the hojaldres (Indian fry bread) w/ the breakfast. Yum! Waitstaff service isn't the same in Panama as in the USA--they're not in a hurry, and they're not going to keep coming by to ask if everything is ok. So it may take a while to put your order in, and you'll have to flag someone down if you want more water/coffee/whatever. It's just a different culture. On the flip side, they're not rushing you out the door and a 20% tip isn't expected. Tipping is customary, but it's more like 10% and it's often already included in the bill ('propina' I believe).

All in all, I was very happy w/ the hotel and felt it was a good value for the money.

Room Tip: If the wifi isn't working, check to see if someone has unplugged the router. There's one on...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank wyliefool
Also consider these accommodations in or near Volcan
Hotel Bambito Resort
Boquete Tree Trek Mountain Resort
Hacienda Los Molinos Boutique Hotel
Casa Grande Bambito Highlands Resort
Mount Totumas Cloud Forest

Been to Hotel Dos Rios? Share your experiences!