“Good Location for Visiting Sites around Custer.”

Holiday Inn Express Custer
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Custer
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The hotel is located a short distance away from the main town, which we preferred. We stayed for 3 nights. Our room was at the back of the hotel & was quiet & had a view of the waterfall. The breakfast area was light & airy, with an exit out to the waterfall seating area behind. The breakfast was good, as far as hotel breakfasts go. We liked the fact that the hotel was well located for Custer State Park, Crazy Horse in one direction & Jewel Cave National Monument in the other direction. Mt Rushmore was around a half hour drive away, which isn't bad. It was a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Virginia O
Kim R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Custer, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you so much for staying and taking time to write a review about our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our small town and all the attractions.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

A well located hotel in line with the best standards of Holiday Inn hotels. Very clean and well organised.
Very close to the splendid Custer State Park and some miles away from Mount Rushmore.
Indoor swimming pool and outside relaxing terrasse are further nice assets to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank stoullieux

Thank you for staying with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We decided on this hotel after reading the reviews and having stayed at Holiday Inns before. We were very glad we did and the 5 nites we spent were wonderful. We needed a handicap room which was spacious, clean and well equipped. The room was quiet and the beds very comfortable. The staff could not be more helpful, friendly and courteous. From Tiffany who took our reservation and told me not to worry if I had to cancel the same day because we could not travel that far, to Kim the mgr, Pat at the front desk and Pat in the breakfast room. I know there are several others whose names I did not get but all provided excellent service. Anything we needed was provided and helpful suggestions given for dining etc. The breakfasts offered a good variety and who can go wrong with a cinnamon bun with coffee. Wrecks the diet but good.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone planning on visiting Custer and if/when we go back we'll be sure to stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello and thank you for staying with us at our hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. I will make sure I tell Pat and Tiffany at the front desk & also Pat in the breakfast area how much you enjoyed everything. Customer Service is so important and I am glad we were able to make your stay so enjoyable. Hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here with grade-school grandson. Was just what we needed. A little away from downtown, but close enough if motivated to walk to the city main street. Google and my car GPS show wrong location by several blocks so location was confusing to find. Hotel website should submit a correction. Yes, the pool, hot tub and breakfast all nice.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Kim R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Custer, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Hello and thank you for your review. I am sorry about the GPS. I will look into that & see what we can do to update our locations with Google Maps. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The HIE in Custer, SD is a nice place to hang your hat. We were there at the beginning of the Sturgis Rally & it's a great place to be IN the midst yet far enough away from most of the constant noise of Deadwood, Sturgis & Keystone. The front desk staff is super friendly. I'd especially like to give a shout out to ALLY who was so super sweet and helpful. The breakfast gals seemed a little overwhelmed with the crowd each morning - hope they got warmed up and better able to keep it stocked for the next week which I'm sure is even busier! Our room was comfy, great view out the back and parking was perfect!
My only complaint is that they peak certain nights at a higher rate. I understand when they do that for like the WEEK of Sturgis, but they pick certain nights IN that week and make them more expensive than say the next night. Obviously no one is going to check in and out and back in so I guess if you stay there you just have to live with that. But I've never seen a hotel with a rate for Saturday, then WAY higher for Sunday, then back down for Monday, then back up, etc. etc. I just think they would have happier customers if the rate stayed the same for regular times and the same for peak times. Oh well, can't keep us from having fun & I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Top floor for us "light sleepers"!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We thought this hotel was very nice---the pool and back deck area were especially nice. The adults were able to sit outside and enjoy the fire pit and gorgeous view while the kids swam. The balcony off our room was also nice. Everything was clean. We did not have the breakfast so I cannot comment on that. (Upon arrival, front desk clerk was not friendly at all.)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Holiday Inn Express never lets us down. Always nice spacious rooms and very clean and quiet. Breakfast area was clean with plenty of seating. Holiday Inn Express standard breakfast. The pool was nice, just the right temp for me and my son. Hot tub was extra hot, but still used after a day of walking everywhere nice on my sore feet! Staff was helpful and friendly. Housekeeping did a fabulous job especially considering it was a very busy Sturgis week for them. Housekeeping is one of the toughest jobs out there so be thankful to your housekeepers when you have a clean room! Beautiful area, would definitely return on a future visit!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Comfort Inn & Suites Custer
Best Western Golden Spike Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hill City
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Mt Rushmore / Keystone
Bavarian Inn, Black Hills
Rocket Motel
Rocket Motel
#1 of 18 in Custer

Been to Holiday Inn Express Custer? Share your experiences!