“Charming cabin”
Review of State Game Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Custer
State Game Lodge
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Custer
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a small cabin by a creek. It was clean, comfortable and very quiet. It is close to many area attractions so it could be used as a vacation base. It was expensive compared to other hotels. However, we loved it!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Too many flys, killed a roach and then a spider in the shower and for the price they need a washer and dryer for public use and free breakfast. We were at places for nights at $45 or $55 and you had cereal and muffins. At least let your customers know before they get there that you do not serve free breakfast and they need to bring food from town. Some people are on a budget, and others just spend.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Oscelott
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We spent 4 nights at the Creekside Inn, which is a part of the Game State Lodge in Custer State Park. Fantastic location, easy to get to everything in the park The room was large, comfortable and clean. It was nice to be apart from the Main Lodge but able to take advantage of the good dinners at the Lodge's restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SallyKay2014
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We have loved our two nights in Custer State Park. The hiking is gorgeous, the wildlife sightings are so exciting and the abundance of activities make it a favorite trip of our family of three. We stayed in the State Game Lodge's Housekeeping cabin #35. Aside from a little more thorough cleaning and some little updates, the quaint log cabin was perfect for us. The Coolidge General store is a stone's throw away to stock up on basic groceries and a nice walk to the lodge is all it takes for a basic breakfast. We used the firepit outside our cabin and got s'mores and firewood supplies from the general store. I would recommend this trip to all of my friends with kids. Wishing we had more time to spend!

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Elissa K
Reviewed 16 August 2014

After staying at Sylvan Lake, this place was disappointing. It has a terrific facility that sits on the game migration path of Custer State Park. In fact, both mornings we got bison wake-up calls as they passed by our room. We loved sitting on the porch watching the moon rise.

It really is beautiful but lacks the touches that make it successful. The food in the restaurant is so horrendous as to be unpalatable. The intermittent wifi drove my teen nuts but I was very happy not to have it around.

The service was fine though.

It is also centrally located so you can jump on to the Wildlife Loop or travel to any of the other attractions which we did.

Room Tip: Stay in the lodge if you don't want to be awaken by bison in the morning.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2014

OK, first of all, I have never nor will I ever CAMP out in a park! On my last visit to Custer State Park many years ago, I stayed at the cabins near Sylvan Lake. The noise of the critters between the walls drove me nuts! So this time, I told my husband we either stay at a Lodge or I'm not going! We stayed at the Creekside building at the State Game Lodge. This building is a new one with all the modern conveniences. The young girl at the front desk told me that "older people" stay at the Creekside building. Since I'm not yet 60, I don't know how old you have to be to qualify! But the room was pleasant although dark--more or brighter lamps could be added. The restaurant at the Lodge was actually quite good. We had two dinners and a breakfast there. Our dinner waiter, Alfredo, was excellent and recommended many dishes. This Lodge was a non-camper's delight! The wifi was free but inconsistent in the room. However, it worked fine in the Lodge.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor and did not have to climb stairs or take the elevator.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Picked this spot on our way to Yellowstone because it made it possible to do the Wildlife Loop the next morning as we headed towards Deadwood. We had come from the Badlands the night before and visited Mount Rushmore earlier that day.(BTW-The Loop is fantastic and should not be missed!) Staff and check-in were easy and we stayed in one of the King/sofa sleeper rooms in the motel section. Unlike others, we had no fly problems. Yes, things were a bit outdated and cramped, but honestly, from other reviews I had expected much worse. This was a convenient and comfortable one-night stay. Ate the breakfast buffet the next morning and it was fine too. Chose to eat in Custer that night because of prices and negative on the State Game Lodge Dining Room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cynthia C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Holiday Inn Express Custer
Gold Camp Cabins
#13 of 18 in Custer
Comfort Inn & Suites Custer
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Mt Rushmore / Keystone

Been to State Game Lodge? Share your experiences!