“Creekside Lodge - Great rooms, rock-hard pillows”
Review of State Game Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Custer
State Game Lodge
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Custer
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Creekside Lodge - Great rooms, rock-hard pillows”
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The Creekside is a great new addition. Last time we went down to the Game Lodge, we stayed in the old cabins. The Creekside is quite an upgrade. The fireplace in the lobby is quite nice, and it is extremely quiet. The rooms don't have much charm, but are certainly very comfortable. Except the pillows. It took forever to get to sleep, because the pillows were ROCK HARD. Worst pillows ever. Wi-fi worked OK, it broke on the last day of our stay. It was very clean, especially for being a pet-friendly room (We brought our dog). Overall, this is a good lodge, though they should replace the pillows.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
sglmanager, General Manager at State Game Lodge, responded to this review, 1 February 2011
Thank you for your recent review. Custer State Park and the State Game Lodge and the Creekside Lodge Addition is a great spot to headquarter out of to see the abundant wildlife and natural beauty of Custer State Park and the Black Hills. I update our pillows with new ones every year so on my next order I will get some more fluffy pillows. I appreciate you taking the time to write the review and I hope you can make a return trip to the Black Hills to try out our new pillows.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 October 2010

I was totally disappointed in the cabins at the Game Lodge this stay. I am a repeat visitor, but won't be selecting the cabins at this location again. The cabin was dirty. The shower had a major drip that was loud. I found a spiders in the cabin (I understand, this is a cabin in the woods), but one was in the bedsheets. The TV service wasn't working, I could not get most of the channels listed on the TV guide listing the channels. The checkin was horribly slow, and the young man checking us in was rude and seemed much too interested in just getting rid of us. And there was no WIFI. When several of us asked why we couldn't pick up the WIFI, the response was "well, you are sitting right over it". Rude, dirty, needing maintenance. And not cheap.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that the lodge room did not meet your expectations. The Historic lodge rooms at the State Game Lodge were built in 1920 and the the expectations of the traveling public were alot different than they are today.We strive extremely hard to insure that each and every guest to our lodge receive the highest quality service and products, returning home with a very favorable impression of Custer State Park and our facilities. However, on occasion we fall short of the high standards we have set for ourselves and we appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to bring this to our attention.
nj
Reviewed 18 September 2010

While this was not, by far, the worst accommodation I have ever stayed in; I was exceedingly disappointed in the lodgings. I chose to stay in a room in the historic lodge, itself, instead of a motel room or cabin, because I thought it would be great to be in the historic lodge. I paid a premium to have a room overlooking the front lawn because I thought it would give us a great view, and we were here for several nights. Based on the minimal descriptions of the room on-line and the photos of "a lodge room" on the website, I had high expectations of staying in a charming, historic room. What we got, instead, was an exceedingly tiny room, appallingly under-furnished with literally no free surfaces upon which to put any necessary items, and practically no space for luggage. The bathroom was tiny, with just a shower (nice one, though) and toilet. The tiny sink was in the bedroom itself. There were no surfaces anywhere which could be used for personal toiletries.

The queen bed had only one small side table with a lamp and clock, and barely any space for reading glasses, book, or anything else. The other side had nothing. There was one chair only in the room--I used that as my bedside table. There was one very tall, narrow dresser, on top of which was a coffee-maker, but you could not use the coffee maker effectively up on that surface--we had to put it on the floor. Our two small carry-ons fit on the luggage rack, but there was no closet, nor any other space where we could have put larger pieces of luggage, had we needed to.

The furniture was poorly made--we were sitting in bed one evening reading and the bed frame suddenly fell apart. In addition, the window of the room immediately next to ours faced into our room at an angle, so for privacy, we had to keep the blinds drawn. From the other window, we had a view of the lawn and wooded area across the road, but with the windows open, there was a fair amount of road noise.

The room had a wall-mounted TV and the hotel has free wi-fi. The hotel plays host to large bus tours and sometimes seems overrun with those tour groups, although they ate in a separate dining room.

The food at the hotel was excellent. We enjoyed the a la carte breakfasts (there is also a large buffet) and delicious dinners, with choices including game and local fish. It was quite convenient to be staying in the lodge and have our meals there.

There are many other lodging opportunities in Custer State Park, but be aware that the park is quite large, and the lodging in other areas are not close by. The State Game Lodge is in a central location within the park, and if I had to do it again, I would stay in one of the motel rooms attached to the main lodge, or the Creekside Lodge right beside it, both of which would be convenient for dining at the lodge. In addition, before booking, I would ask for a more precise explanation of exactly what the room is like, how big, how furnished, etc.

Custer State Park is a great park, and we saw lots of buffalo and wonderful scenery while there. The jeep tour is fun. Try to drive the scenic Iron Mountain Road from south to north, which takes you through beautiful scenery and through three tunnels which frame the Mount Rushmore faces in the distance--quite spectacular.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ssgtravel
sglmanager, General Manager at State Game Lodge, responded to this review, 3 February 2011
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the restaurant and the Park.
Tampa
Reviewed 25 August 2010

Location can't be beat, just off of wildlife loop in Custer State Park. We saw tons of wildlife including bison, deer, antelope, coyote, begging burros, praire dogs and bighorn sheep. Good base to explore Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse and surrounding area. The cabin itself was nice, quiet. Had tv which we never used. Supposed to have wireless internet, but did not work at cabins. Had to walk halfway to the Game lodge to pick up their signal.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent review. The State Game Lodge is a great place to headquarter out of to see Custer State Park and the entire Black Hills area.
We provide free WiFi to our guest in the State Game Lodge and at our Creekside Lodge addition. We also try to provide access to the WiFi to our cabins but that goal sometimes fall short due to our technology. We will continue to upgrade our technology and improve the reach of our WiFi.
We strive extremely hard to insure that each and every guest to our lodges receive the highest quality service and products, returning home with a very favorable impression of Custer State Park and our facilities.
Thank you for you for staying with us and we hope you return again next year.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 August 2010

We were so excited to get to Custer State Park and this leg of our trip. When we pulled up, the State Game Lodge was set back from the road by a well manicured lawn, looking so elegant. Finding parking was a little tricky, once we did find parking we went inside to check in.
We were greeted by a very nice desk clerk. He was willing to help us with our bags, provided us with directions, and gave us a little background about the whole area. We had reserved a room in the main lodge on the President Coolidge floor. I loved the room when we went inside!. We had a two room suite that faced the front of the hotel. The front room had windows all the way around, providing an awesome breeze in the room. Climate control was available. The bed in that room was a pullout. My son said it was comfortable. Our bed was gigantic! Fluffy and comforting, slept like a baby through the night. Keeping in mind that this establishment is historic, it is a bit on the small size, especially the bathroom. However, the overall regal feel to the place makes up for the small spaces. The dinner was superb! I bravely had the buffalo filet, it was outstanding! Our whole experience the Custer area was just fabulous. The abundant wildlife and pristine views will remain with me forever. Thank you for a great adventure!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
I hope you and your family make Custer State Park and the State Game Lodge a annual vacation spot!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 23 August 2010

When got 2 rooms at the State Game Lodge. We stayed there with our 4 kids and even brought grandma. Stayed in the smaller motel rooms. The rooms are simple, no frills. When staying in Custer State Park (CSP) the hotel is the least of the attractions though. The rooms are not very big, but are comfortable and good for families. They are clean and the staff was friendly. We didn't try the restaurant, it can be a bit pricey for families with kids.
The scenery and wildlife are the real attractions here. As we pulled up dozens and dozens of buffalo lined the area. It was an amazing site. Staying in CSP was the best decisions we made. We saw tons of buffalo, plus deer and big horned sheep. The lodge is within 25 minutes of Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse, plus there are tons of scenic drives, hikes and lakes all close by. Near the lodge are several parks with picnic tables and grills for cooking burgers or hot dogs, we grilled almost every day and saved a ton on eating out.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Doug J
Thank you for your recent review. Custer State Park and the State Game Lodge is a great spot to headquarter out of to see the abundant wildlife and natural beauty of Custer State Park and the Black Hills. We are centrally located in the Black Hills with just a short drive to Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and all the other attractions in the Black Hills. I appreciate you taking the time to write the review and I hope you can make a return trip to the Black Hills.
Maryland
Reviewed 18 August 2010

My husband and I spent a year planning a vacation to S Dakota, Wyoming and Montana and worked with a local travel agency to book accomodations. We arrived at the lodge with voucher that assured us a 2 queen bed room. Due to circumstances unknown to us, we were book in a full size room. The manager had a attitude "it isn't our problem and we can't give you a different room". He was rude, condescending and one of the most nasty people I have ever meet in my 50 years of traveling.The room was over the dining room: we had constant noise, there are very limited curtains so we had light from the dining room come directly into our room throughout the entire night. I wouldn't recommend a lodge room under ANY circumstances: 1. the room was very small, 2. you have to hike your luggage up the stairs, 3. noisy at night, 4. the unprofessional and rude customer service, who we observed was drinking wine with his friends the next day being very loud and obniouxs on the front porch. The view is beautiful and there are rocking chairs on the front porch which was very relaxing; but don't go there to sleep if you have a lodge room.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ontheroadagain33
Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that the lodge room did not meet your expectations. I do not know what your local travel agent told you but we had you booked in the room that you were given. I would have been happy to reassign you a different room however, we were booked and did not have that option. The State Game Lodge does not have rooms that overlook or are adjacent to the dining room. We strive extremely hard to insure that each and every guest to our lodge receive the highest quality service and products, returning home with a very favorable impression of Custer State Park and our facilities. However, on occasion we fall short of the high standards we have set for ourselves and we appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to bring this to our attention.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Holiday Inn Express Custer
Roosevelt Inn
#5 of 14 in Keystone
Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites
Bavarian Inn, Black Hills

Been to State Game Lodge? Share your experiences!