“Beautiful place to vacation!”
Review of Blue Bell Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Custer
Blue Bell Lodge
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We recently stayed at a cabin at the Blue Bell resort in Custer State Park in South Dakota. The cabin was amazing--many amenities, clean, modern--with good housekeeping services daily. We also enjoyed the restaurant & bar there; staff was friendly and food was reasonable and good. The chuckwagon supper & entertainment is well worth the price. Scenery is beautiful!!!

Room Tip: Some cabins have been updated and some have not.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
BlueBellLodge, General Manager at Blue Bell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Thank you for your kind words. I am very happy that you had a wonderful time with us. I feel that the Blue Bell Staff is top notch and I am pleased you felt the same. The Chuckwagon Dinner is a great time, I suggest to anyone coming to the Black Hills to come out with us. A good time is always had by all. Thanks again and we hope to see you next time your in Custer State Park.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

The Blue Bell Lodge cabins (the newer ones) more than exceeded our expectations. Our cabin had 2 queen beds, a fire place, dining table and chairs, 2 extra chairs, galley kitchen, large bathroom and nice front porch. Because the lodge is historic and quite old, I was expecting something a bit run down. What a surprise it was.
Also the lodge has a nice dining room. We had 2 breakfasts, lunch and a special wedding reception dinner. The food was excellent, especially the chicken quisadillas with roasted corn.
At the reception we had buffalo tips with mushrooms, buffalo sausage and pheasant tartlets that were all excellent.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for the newer cabins. Not all have a fireplace. It all depends on the price you wan...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. The staff and I enjoyed serving you and being a part of your wonderful occasion. The sleeping cabins are newer and have more to offer than the older cabins. My favorite part are the fireplaces, they makes for a cozy stay. Thanks, and if you find yourself in the Black Hills again, please stop in and say hi!!!

Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights in the lodge. We had dinner in the restaurant the 1st night. It was empty because the food is terrible, Mac and cheese without cheese, a tough steak not properly cook, etc. Too bad they don't have a cook because the place is pretty and the staff was great. Breakfast was terrible too. Bring your food because there is a BBQ outside and they supply plenty of wood. Our cabin, which was priced like a hotel in NYC but didn't have enough pillows and the one we had were flat, the bed was uncomfortable, they forgot to clean the room, the TV remote was missing, the fireplace poker was missing, the light burned out in the kitchen, etc. I think it is best to pay 1/4 the price and stay in the camping cabins. They service the lodge like the camping cabins so save the money!

• Stayed: June 2013
BlueBellLodge, General Manager at Blue Bell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you had a dissapointing experience here at Blue Bell. We strive to make everyone's stay enjoyable but we obviously missed the mark with you. I make no excuses for your meals but to say that is not the norm for us at Blue Bell as we have had many compliments on our menu. I can only say that I wish I had known of your issues and had the opportunity to correct them for you. I hope that you will consider giving us another chance to serve you should you come to the Black Hills again.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

My family and I did the chuck wagon hayride and dinner and I fell in love with it! Our wagon host was "Cowboy Keith" and he was a big part the experience was wonderful. I am certain the other wagon hosts are good as well, but Keith truly has a talent with story telling, and singing. The hayride through the park was wonderful seeing bison and clearing them off of the road. Once we arrived at the outdoor dinner venue there was more entertainment! The dinner consisting of a burger entree or steak was wonderful with plenty of food (there is a vegetarian option as well). We were able to help ourselves to lemonade, coffee, or water...there was no want with food or beverage! The wagon ride home was great and we used the supplied blankets to keep warm on the cool summer night! This was the highlight of our trip to the Black Hills area, I highly recommend it and having Cowboy Keith be your guide, he truly spreads peace! PS He does have cd's for sale at the end!

Room Tip: Bring your camera and dress for the weather! If possible seek out Cowboy Keith's wagon!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your review. I am very glad that you had a good time on the Chuckwagon ride and dinner. Cowboy Keith is a fantastic entertainer and great guy. All the entertainers here at Blue Bell are wonderful and are the highlight of the Chuckwagon experience. Tell all your friends and we hope to see you again, thank you!!!

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Great stay, excellent staff, and wonderful food! I suggest the larger Sleeping cabins with two queen beds. They come with a small kitchen and an indoor wood-burning fireplace. Also, outside is your own pinic table and fire pit. The room comes with a bundle of wood. This place is off the beaten path and very quiet. It is one of the better places to stay in the Black Hills. I come every year.

Stayed: May 2013

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. I too would suggest the sleeping cabins. They are newer and larger than the housekeeping cabins. Besides, you can't beat having a fireplace in your room. Thanks again and we will see you next year here at Blue Bell.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

We were travelling through Custer State Park the third week of May, which is a wonderful time to visit. There were no crowds and we felt like we had the park to ourselves! We stayed in a cabin at the Blue Bell Lodge and were very pleased. The cabin was spacious, very clean, and had a nice little front porch. Really seeing Custer State Park takes more than one day, so I would recommend staying here while visiting this park. The wildlife viewing is spectacular .... there is more to see here than in some national parks!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bestofthewest58
BlueBellLodge, General Manager at Blue Bell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Black Hills sure are beautiful and you are right that there is much more to see than just the park itself. We hope that you will stay with us again when you come back to the area. Take care and thanks again.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

During our 2 weeks camping at Custer State Park Blue Bell campground, we ate at the lodge several times. We ordered something different each time and were never disappointed. Try the Apple Crisp....it's incredible!! Jamie was there each time we went to eat and she was always so kind and considerate....made us feel so special. Diana, Allison, and Phil served us our meals and were especially attentive. Loved the Blue Bell Lodge and when we left the campground we felt like we were leaving behind good friends. Thanks so much for your excellent service!!!

Room Tip: We did not stay in the lodge overnight nor in the cabins....we had our own tent and just went to the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bobkauf47

Than k you very much for your wonderful review. I remember you and we enjoyed serving you at Blue Bell. Jami and the crew will appreciate your kind words. I am glad that you loved the Apple Crisp, it is one of my favorites as well. Maybe we can talk you into staying at one of our cabins next time you visit!!! Take care and thanks again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Holiday Inn Express Custer
#1 of 18 in Custer
K Bar S Lodge
K Bar S Lodge
#1 of 13 in Keystone

Been to Blue Bell Lodge? Share your experiences!