Blue Bell Lodge
Bavarian Inn, Black Hills(Custer)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$86
Comfort Inn & Suites Custer(Custer)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$78
ComfortInn
Super 8 Custer/Crazy Horse Area(Custer)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$74
US$100
HIExpress.com
Gold Camp Cabins(Custer)(Great Value!)
US$111
Hotels.com
Rocket Motel(Custer)(Great Value!)
US$75
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewschuck wagonchuckwagon dinnercowboy keithsleeping cabincornbreadbisonhousekeeping cabingeneral storefire pitcuster state parkwildlife loopset of bunk bedsfront porchhorseback ridingblack hillssmall kitchenettenewer cabins
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Our accommodations were perfect. We'd not been to the Black Hills since we were children - 58 years ago! Blue Bell was idyllic, peaceful. The only "glitch" is in the reservation system, as we know of 3 other families who had to move from one cabin to another during their stay. Maybe this could be avoided by reserving earlier than we did? Our 4 nights (end of June into July) were the right amount of time to use Blue Bell as a home base, and tour the Black Hills at our leisure. Dining room : good food, need some additional smaller portions available for us "more mature" patrons. Look forward to another visit. We wanted to adopt Molly, Devin, Anna, Maria and Denise - but Chad said he couldn't get along without them!

Room Tip: Sleeping Cabin was ideal for us. Plenty of space, lighting adequate for reading - but we would've liked brighter lights.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
BlueBellLodge, General Manager at Blue Bell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Thank you for your review. Glad that you were able to make it back to the Black Hills all these years later and found it just as enjoyable. I suggest as well to make your reservations early. People are always surprised to hear how fast we fill up. Every year gets a little busier so getting those reservations in early is key. Thank you again for your kind words and don't wait so long to come back and visit us!!!

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We recently stayed at a cabin at the Blue Bell resort in Custer State Park in South Dakota. The cabin was amazing--many amenities, clean, modern--with good housekeeping services daily. We also enjoyed the restaurant & bar there; staff was friendly and food was reasonable and good. The chuckwagon supper & entertainment is well worth the price. Scenery is beautiful!!!

Room Tip: Some cabins have been updated and some have not.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words. I am very happy that you had a wonderful time with us. I feel that the Blue Bell Staff is top notch and I am pleased you felt the same. The Chuckwagon Dinner is a great time, I suggest to anyone coming to the Black Hills to come out with us. A good time is always had by all. Thanks again and we hope to see you next time your in Custer State Park.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

The Blue Bell Lodge cabins (the newer ones) more than exceeded our expectations. Our cabin had 2 queen beds, a fire place, dining table and chairs, 2 extra chairs, galley kitchen, large bathroom and nice front porch. Because the lodge is historic and quite old, I was expecting something a bit run down. What a surprise it was.
Also the lodge has a nice dining room. We had 2 breakfasts, lunch and a special wedding reception dinner. The food was excellent, especially the chicken quisadillas with roasted corn.
At the reception we had buffalo tips with mushrooms, buffalo sausage and pheasant tartlets that were all excellent.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for the newer cabins. Not all have a fireplace. It all depends on the price you want to pay. The location is great, right inside Custer State Park. The buffalo, donkeys, deer, antelope etc are near when you take the wildlife loop through the park.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. The staff and I enjoyed serving you and being a part of your wonderful occasion. The sleeping cabins are newer and have more to offer than the older cabins. My favorite part are the fireplaces, they makes for a cozy stay. Thanks, and if you find yourself in the Black Hills again, please stop in and say hi!!!

Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights in the lodge. We had dinner in the restaurant the 1st night. It was empty because the food is terrible, Mac and cheese without cheese, a tough steak not properly cook, etc. Too bad they don't have a cook because the place is pretty and the staff was great. Breakfast was terrible too. Bring your food because there is a BBQ outside and they supply plenty of wood. Our cabin, which was priced like a hotel in NYC but didn't have enough pillows and the one we had were flat, the bed was uncomfortable, they forgot to clean the room, the TV remote was missing, the fireplace poker was missing, the light burned out in the kitchen, etc. I think it is best to pay 1/4 the price and stay in the camping cabins. They service the lodge like the camping cabins so save the money!

• Stayed: June 2013
BlueBellLodge, General Manager at Blue Bell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you had a dissapointing experience here at Blue Bell. We strive to make everyone's stay enjoyable but we obviously missed the mark with you. I make no excuses for your meals but to say that is not the norm for us at Blue Bell as we have had many compliments on our menu. I can only say that I wish I had known of your issues and had the opportunity to correct them for you. I hope that you will consider giving us another chance to serve you should you come to the Black Hills again.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

My family and I did the chuck wagon hayride and dinner and I fell in love with it! Our wagon host was "Cowboy Keith" and he was a big part the experience was wonderful. I am certain the other wagon hosts are good as well, but Keith truly has a talent with story telling, and singing. The hayride through the park was wonderful seeing bison and clearing them off of the road. Once we arrived at the outdoor dinner venue there was more entertainment! The dinner consisting of a burger entree or steak was wonderful with plenty of food (there is a vegetarian option as well). We were able to help ourselves to lemonade, coffee, or water...there was no want with food or beverage! The wagon ride home was great and we used the supplied blankets to keep warm on the cool summer night! This was the highlight of our trip to the Black Hills area, I highly recommend it and having Cowboy Keith be your guide, he truly spreads peace! PS He does have cd's for sale at the end!

Room Tip: Bring your camera and dress for the weather! If possible seek out Cowboy Keith's wagon!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Denise W

Thank you so much for your review. I am very glad that you had a good time on the Chuckwagon ride and dinner. Cowboy Keith is a fantastic entertainer and great guy. All the entertainers here at Blue Bell are wonderful and are the highlight of the Chuckwagon experience. Tell all your friends and we hope to see you again, thank you!!!