“Blue Bell Lodge Chuckwagon was perfect!”
Review of Blue Bell Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Custer
Blue Bell Lodge
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Chuckwagon offered a cozy wagon ride through Custer Park before dinner in a off-road location. Wonderful entertainment provided by a one man cowboy show throughout ride and meal time. Our guide (who played the guitar, harmonica, and fiddle) was a great musician and story teller who made every effort to include the children, which made it a perfect family outing. Dinner was good; perfectly seasoned, grilled steaks and all the fixings. I highly reccommend the Chuckwagon!

Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Somethingtosee
BlueBellLodge, General Manager at Blue Bell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thanks so much for the great review of the Chuckwagon. From your review I can tell you had Cowboy Keith on your wagon. He is a marvelous entertainer and all around good guy. He makes it fun for everyone. People are often surprised at how much they get and what a good value it is. I hope that you come back again someday and maybe we can connvince you to stay with us as well. Thanks again!!

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Stayed in a Sleeping Cabin for 3 nights at the Blue Bell Lodge in Custer State Park. Cabins were clean, 2 comfortable full size beds, fireplace, table and chairs, small kitchenette with sink, small refrigerator, 4 burner stove, dishes, tub/shower, hairdryer. Be sure to ask for the newer cabins (the Sleeping Cabins) as some of the other cabins are older and I had read some poor reviews. Our cabin (#5) sat in pine grove close to the main lodge/restaurant. Had a nice porch with chairs (a bit uncomfortable but extra pillows in cabin helped ) Very nice spot to stay... close to the beginning of the Wildlife loop, and stables available. Wood is provided if you want a campfire (pit next to cabin) or for use in fireplace. Was peaceful and private. Totally enjoyed our stay. I think the cabins are a bit pricey ($215/night)... they are $100 more each night than the cabin we stayed in at Cedar Pass in the Badlands, and those cabins were nicer and immaculate.

Room Tip: be sure to get Sleep cabins... or new cabins
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mollysnene

Thank you for your review of Blue Bell. The sleeping cabins are much newer being built in 1992 vs the smaller cabins that were built in 1933 and you can't beat the fireplace inside the cabin. We hope that you will stay with us again here at Blue Bell Lodge and thanks again for the review.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed in a Sleeping Cabin. Very nicely furnished and the kitchen setup (stove, small fridge, microwave, dishes, coffee pot, utensils, glasses, pot & pan) let us cook some simple meals and keep from eating out each meal. My wife particularly liked the bath towels -- thick and fluffy in her words. The location was convenient to the area attractions -- Custer City, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, etc -- and of course the state park itself. The cabin was just a couple of minutes walk from the lodge restaurant and general store. The only downside was some cleaning issues. When we arrived, the burn pit outside our cabin was trashed with beer cans and plastic cups. I reported it but went ahead and cleaned it up myself. The other cleaning issue was in the cabin itself. We were there for a few days and with the occasional thunderstorms, dirt and sand got tracked in, especially in the kitchen area. This area was not swept during the time we were there. No Wi-Fi in the cabin -- and we knew that going in -- but it was available at the lodge. Not real fast but decent enough to check email.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your review. I am glad you enjoyed yourselves while you were here. I have put some additional checklists in place including "checking the fire pits" for my housekeepers in an effiort to not miss anything. We have recently upgraded our internet service and I am hopeful that there will be a noticable improvment. Your review was very helpful, I appreciate hearing the good and bad so we can continue to improve our service. Hope to see you again at Blue Bell in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I was recently the matron of honor in my best friends wedding at the Blue Bell Lodge. All I can say is WOW, what an amazing place! Everything about Blue Bell is enchanting and charming. The staff was all accommodating and very, very friendly. It's located in a beautiful area--it is very clean and well kept. If you are thinking about planning a wedding around this area, THIS is the place to do it. The food was amazing and the White Buffalo room was a great place for the reception. It really has it all, beautiful views, great atmosphere and positive people. I highly recommend this place to anyone looking to stay around Custer State Park.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you so much, you folks were a pleasure to have at Blue Bell. I am glad that your wedding was all that you hoped it would be. We strive to make everyone's experience a great one and you guy's made it easy with your laid back and fun attitude. Please come back and see us again, we would love to have you!!!

Reviewed 12 August 2013

The cabins at the Blue Bell lodge can be summed up with three c's: charming, cozy and comfy. The grounds are beautiful and quiet. The one restaurant on the premises is good, not great. You cannot beat the location right in Custer State Park. Go on the Chuckwagon dinner, which is fun and folksy. Cowboy Keith is entertaining. One thing: the lodge claims it has wifi - though they made it clear that it is intermittent at best - but we had none. Phone service in the main building is decent but you'll likely not to have a decent signal in your cabin. A small price to pay for staying in such a nice spot.

Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here at Blue Bell. I am pleased to say that we have recently upgraded the internet system and I am hopeful that the wifi service will improve. While we understand that people need to stay connected, we encourage our guests to put down the computer and enjoy the wonderful surroundings of the park. The Chuckwagon is a great experience for families as well as couples and Cowboy Keith is a superb entertainer. Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you again!!

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We enjoyed our stay here. We stayed in one of the renovated cabins. It was great to pull up and unload. We all liked the setting, the cabins were well spaced and in a quiet woodsy area. Cabin was clean but the bathroom was a little beat up. We only stayed two nights but based on everything the park has to offer I think three nights would have been better for us. We did mountain biking in the park but we never had a chance to kayak or doing any hiking. There are a number of places in the park to go swimming. We had just come from Yellowstone and this is a very different type of park, it allows people to really use the park. They had beaches on the lakes that you can swim from and more park activities such as kayaking. We loved both parks but felt that we could have stayed here longer and done more activities that our son would have enjoyed. The restaurant was good but we really loved the Chuck Wagon Dinner experience. My husband and I didn’t want to do it since we thought it would be kind of hokey but our 14 year old son really wanted to go so we went. We all loved it, the food was great(steak choice was excellent!), and entertainment was fun and lively. Highly recommend this event if you go to Custer State Park. My only negative feedback would be that the bar at the lodge closes at 9 pm which is very early to close down the other outside activity besides the restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Hello and thank you very much for your wonderful review. We often have guests that don't realize how much there is to do here and wish they had spent a few more days. Well we hope you come back to Custer State Park again and get a chance to experience some more of what we have to offer. I understand about the bar closing when the lounge does. Typically, guests are enjoying their cabins at night and we don't get many wanting to use the bar except for parties and receptions. I promise that if you are here when we close but want to stay for a bit, we won't stop you. We understand that sometimes your just not ready to go back to the cabins. Thanks again and we hope to see you next time your in the Balck Hills.

Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed in cabin # 28. It was beautiful. Exceptionally clean. The style of the cabin fit very well with the area and actually gave us a sense of being part of the environment around us. So peaceful. The only downside was that the kitchen lacked simple yet necessary things like a can opener and little in the way of cooking pans.
I would absolutely stay here again...

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your review of Blue Bell. You stayed in one of our sleeping cabins which are my favorite as well. We do try to keep the cabins stocked with utensils and basic cooking supplies but sometimes they have a tendancy to grow legs and walk away. If you are ever here and need something don't hesitate to ask and we will try our best to get it for you. Hope to see you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Holiday Inn Express Custer
#1 of 13 in Keystone
Rocket Motel
Rocket Motel
#2 of 18 in Custer

Been to Blue Bell Lodge? Share your experiences!