“Very clean rooms”

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Custer
Rock Port, Missouri
“Very clean rooms”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed here in May with a group of 12 family members. The rooms/cabins are very neat and clean but could use some updating. I hear there are new owners starting this summer so maybe they will tackle this. The cabin my brother and his family stayed in was very small (it's the cabin at the very top of the hill) with an extremely small bathroom, but other than this, no complaints. The owner did ask my nephews (who are 7 and 2) not to move around any rocks in the stream, which I thought was an odd request since it is a stream with moving water in it and kids like to play with rocks, but whatever. We stayed here for a week and our room wasn't cleaned every day like I've usually had when staying places. We did get fresh towels and trash taken out every day however. There is no AC either, so if this is a problem for you here's an FYI.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TBJ3

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We live in eastern South Dakota so a 3 day trip to the Black Hills is something we do often. We've stayed in many of the hotels in the area, but once we came to Calamity Peak Lodge we knew we'd found our "home away from home"! Small and rustic, very affordable, spotlessly clean, friendly manager and staff (they offered to loan us fishing poles for the trout stream right outside our door), and the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. Early in the morning after we arrived, we got coffee in the office and went and sat on our front porch. A doe with twin newborn fawns came walking along the stream. The doe stopped and seemed to be sizing us up to see if we were dangerous, then she put her head down to nibble on some of the grass growing along the banks. The fawns were playing and jumping around about 8 feet from our front door. So quiet you can hear the wind whispering through the trees. Close to everything and right at the edge of Custer State Park and the National Forest. We're going back again this summer and won't consider staying anywhere else!

Room Tip: Many choices of room size and amenities, from very small and basic to a large stone and timber cotta...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marty9332014
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

I spent three nights at Calamity Peak Lodge, and was impressed with how clean it was. The rooms are very small even for one person, but considering the rates I was very pleased with the accommodations. I wish the lobby had been a little more inviting. Overall, I would return.

• Stayed July 2013
Chadron, Nebraska
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We loved this little place. It was snowing and we were tired of driving. We past this place so I looked it up on the internet. The prices were good. Most places in the hills are ridiculous prices.
It was cozy and warm.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Booked for four nights 09/2013. First night scratching in my sleep. Day two sitting on the couch, flea on my arm, don't say nothing to the misses, five minutes later another and another. Packed up the car went to the office explained, I was refunded the remaining nights but not the night we were bitten by the fleas. I think I would have given the $80 back for that first night just out of good nature being we had to up root at 8:00pm and go into town and get different accommodations. If you lay with dogs your bound to get fleas.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dwdk6866
AR
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband and I just spent a week at Calamity Peak Lodge and it was wonderful. The mountain views were beautiful. We stayed in Unit # 4 and it was really nice. The weather turned cold while we were there, and the unit was toasty warm. David, the owner/caretaker was really nice. He might seem a little strange to some people, but "don't judge a book by its cover." We hope to return to South Dakota sometime and we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Unit 4 and 5 are three room units. If someone gets up early, the other can sleep and not be disturb...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Crappity peak lodge custer south dakota, first and last stay. Can get a air conditioned room anywhere else in the hills. This place sucks and desk person rude. Complained about no ac and were told "your not in iowa now" and showed us the fine print in faq on their website where it said no air conditioned rooms. This info should be on the main page. I have respiratory issues and figured in the 21st century all places of lodging would have air conditioning. Will never stay here again and will urge all family and friends to never stay there also. The customer is number 1 and the way we were treated was uncalled for.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank trace49
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Gold Camp Cabins
Bavarian Inn, Black Hills
Rocket Motel
Rocket Motel
#2 of 17 in Custer

Been to Calamity Peak Lodge? Share your experiences!