“Do this!”

Black Hills Aerial Adventures
Ranked #9 of 38 things to do in Custer
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Because of the government shutdown, we could not visit Rushmore up close and opted for the Rushmore/Crazy Horse helicopter. Whether you can get up close on the ground or not, this is definitely worth doing. You get views not possible on the ground at both sites plus some breathtaking scenery that you could not see at all from the ground. Our pilot (Mike) answered all questions plus gave us a running narrative describing the back-story on what we were seeing. Even if you have to sleep in the car one night to afford this it is worth it.

1  Thank s1jag

Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I wanted a closer look at Mt. Rushmore during the shutdown. My wife is a nervous flyer but did not want to miss anything. Our pilot was excellent. The flight was extremely smooth. Before banking the copter he would advise us of his next move. We had excellent views of Rushmore, Crazy Horse, the Needles highway, and several other local attractions. The pilot was friendly and very knowledgeable about the area. We got the off season rate of $169 per person and felt it was worth it.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Very expensive for a single customer but, well worth it. Great smooth ride in perfectly clear weather.

1  Thank Howard S
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We chose the Rushmore, Black Hills, Crazy Horse tour and were not disappointed! All staff members were helpful (not at all pushy) and friendly and our pilot was very informative as well as highly skilled. It was our first helicopter ride and although the weather was not perfect (some gusting winds and light rain in places) the ride was surprisingly smooth and not at all scary. I was surprised that there was no impact bump on landing at all. The prices charged were exactly as advertised and there was no pressure to "upgrade." My husband had always wanted to ride in a helicopter and while I had no great desire to go, I enjoyed the tour immensely! We got some amazing pictures and will never forget the experience.

1  Thank DonnaB1950
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Helicopter tour is a TERRIFIC and efficient way to see the awe-inspiring Badlands - you really get the total picture and much more! As we drove into the park for a drive-through, we spotted the helicopter tour and on a whim decided to pull in and make the most of our adventure that day. The tour is definitely worthwhile & fun! We picked the Adventure Tour even though quite pricey ($150 pp) ... my guess is that any of the other less expensive tours would get the job done just as well. The best scenery happens to be on the pilot side of the helicopter and the route is such that the best scenery the whole way happens to be on the pilot side. The passenger in the back seat behind the front seat passenger doesn't get to see much ... so that is def a waste of $150. The passenger front seat obviously gets the best views, but I had to look past the pilot through his window most of the time to see the "Badlands wall" where all the scenery and action is ... and the photos I tried to take ended up with the glare of the window ... so I felt like my $150 twenty minute ride was a bit much too for that reason. Tried to email them afterwards to suggest they change the route or do something to give the backseat passengers better views, but they have no link on their site for email feedback. I definitely recommend a helicopter tour - it is ALWAYS amazing to see the world from above and the Badlands is no exception ... but in this case you can probably get the job done with a less expensive tour (with three passengers, it adds up!!). Enjoy!!

2  Thank tonik322