“So horrible I didn't know if I should cry or laugh”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Custer
American Presidents Cabins and Camp
Ranked #23 of 24 Speciality Lodging in Custer
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Words cannot describe--from the "dirt floor"--oh, was that suppose to be a modern floor? To crummy service, bugs everywhere, windows that won't open, air quality that still has my family coughing 4 days after returning home. The tiny, tiny cabin was $144 a night. DO NOT GO HERE!!!!!!!! So much more to say. Still traumatized!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer B

Reviewed 31 July 2012

What a dump! Need I say more. Filthy, broken down, old, smelly, bugs, garbage, and the food in the store was all outdated but was sold to the public. Health Department should close them down.The rooms are disgusting, the laundry room had 4 machines, two were broken down and two was so rusted I wouldn't put MY clothes in there.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Regina G
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We arrived at the property and were given a room that had at least an inch of water on the floor of the bathroom. We asked for another unit. We went into the next unit and pulled back the covers on the bed only to see a dead moth and more bugs than we could count. Although both of the previous rooms we were given were filthy at best, we are reasonable people. We asked for another room. One that was clean and dry and bug free. The third room was dry, but dirty, and after pulling back the covers on the bed we noticed more bugs. These conditions weren't acceptable.. When I reported the conditions to the front desk, the lady tried to show us yet another room. We told her 3 was enough and we just wanted to leave. At which point she talked to the owner who came out (with an alcoholic beverage in hand) and an awful attitude -immediately calling me a liar, telling me that there were no bugs in the beds. I asked him to take a look for himself. He left and came back, grabbed his drink and returned to his back room saying nothing more to us. The lady at the front desk told us that he'd instructed her to not refund any portion of our two nights stay that we'd paid for. So when he came back out of the back room and walked past me on his way out the door, I diplomatically asked him why he felt it necessary to do so. He said that we were just trying to scam him to get out of the room reservations. He again called me a liar and said we could leave, but he was keeping all of our money. At no point did he even try to be accommodating to us. I was appalled - in all our travels we've never encountered such a lack of hospitality especially at a so-called "resort". I asked the owner if he calls all of his guests liars and gives them the same lack of respect and treatment, to which he said "Yes" as he, in his tipsy state ,begins to get on a moped (posing a physical threat to all). It's hard to believe that the owner of this type of business could get away with such brash treatment of its clientele. Then again, it does explain why they had 4 open unsatisfactory rooms that they tried to put us up in, when the rest of the hotels/motels in Custer that we contacted for alternate lodging were completely booked. We have contacted the local Chamber of Commerce and the SD BBB - the Chamber has already responded, has received numerous complaints in the past, and will be removing them from their approved list of vendors in the very near future. Do not waste your money on this "resort" - the accomodations are unacceptable, and it will be a fight to get any of your money back (I am currently working with my credit card company to try to do so).

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank srgodsey
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I put my 250,00 deposit on this cabin a year in advance and we suffered two nights in the moldy, musky smelling shack. It was so uncomfortable for everyone in our cabin, we had about 60 people in our party and nobody was satisfied, I spoke with other visitors and everyone was in disbelief about the accomidations.
BOTTOM LINE; Don't waste your money there .

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Betse511
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I started writing this review and the website closed down. As I was saying, we had a reunion planned for this July. We all prepaid deposits for our rooms and when we got there, some of our rooms were given away and some of the family had to go to town to stay. Actually, it was a blessing in disguise for them. Others were given smaller rooms than they had paid for. No, they were not given cheaper rates.
As I was checking in, my cousin was checking OUT...his room was so dirty with stained linen, body fluids on the sofas (if you can call them sofas), dirty bathroom, bugs, feces in the toilet and when he was asking for his money back, they refused.
I asked for a key before I would pay for my room. I went and checked out the room...I did not check thoroughly enough. We took the room for a whopping $245.00 a night and I asked for clean sheets and towels. When we got into our room and settled in, we went to use the shower and it was filled with sawdust and debris from the ceiling light fixture, some critter was more than likely waiting for some food to be left out. There were bugs on the sink so close to the sink rim, that you did not see them when we were checking the place out. They did come and clean up the sawdust and got an eye full of the crappy room they were charging us for. Thank goodness we only slept in there. It gave us the creeps, for sure.
The management said that they were new and that the old managers did not leave their paper work in good order.
We can totally understand that the paperwork was misplaced or lost. It is even forgiving that the rooms were changed, but the absolute filth would be the responsibility of the new management. Don't waste your time or your money until they remodel some of these units. The area is absolutely beautiful and worth a stay at the Holiday Inn Express and Super 8...that is where our families had to go when they were treated with rudeness and disrespect.

Room Tip: Go to the Holiday Inn Express or Super 8!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Christie B
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We were very disappointed in our accommodations. This is the worst place we have ever stayed, and puts a bad face on tourism accommodation for the area.
We were assigned cabin #2 (J Q Adams). The cabin smelled very musty. When it rained there was water on the bathroom floor and the rug in the alcove off the sitting room was soaked with water. No doubt that is what causes the smell and also there no doubt will be mould that accompanies the odour. We were unable to obtain fresh towels. We were given the wrong key to the cabin at first and had to go back and get the right one. There was only one key available and it made us uncomfortable wondering who had the other key. The locks were hard to work.
Cabin was not clean. Observing the cleaning staff, they leave a lot to be desired in that area. They were not vacuuming cabins, people had to chase them down to get their cabin vacuumed before moving in. No response to requests for towels. No one cleaned up the trash and cans were overflowing. The office staff at the desk put on a helpful facade but kept claiming ignorance – “I am new here, I don’t know, you have to talk to the manager,” etc. The reunion centre tables and chairs were dirty. How hard is it to power wash them!
That is a very nice site for a resort but there needs to be a major upgrade of the facilities. We went away with the feeling this facility is being used as a front. We will not be back and will not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MandA A
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Office Staff blaming others who no longer working there for mix up on reservations. Too much turn over of the staff.Cabins not clean, Pool not clean and not open when it was posted to be. Cleaning people acted like they didn't know what you were talking about when asking them a question. Had to ask for clean towels several times a day before getting them. Shower faucet fell off everytime someone took a shower, lights on walls did not work. Overall all cabins need help for improvements. We started staying there for family reunons in 1995 through 2006 when things started to fall apart and it continues to be worse all the time.
Won't go back again for a family reunion and if manager doesn't improve things no one will want to stay there.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family