“Great bed, great shower, good value, great front desk but bad maids!”
Review of Econo Lodge Custer

Econo Lodge Custer
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Custer
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I just returned from 4 day stay in Custer at Econo Lodge.When I checked in front desk personal was friendly and helpful. The beds were very comfortable the scary part came when I pulled down the sheets, they were noticeably dirty and even had hair and little dirt fragments visible how dirty they were had to wonder how many guest5 before me since they had been changed!. I was traveling alone but had double room so since it was late I chose the cleaner of two beds and went to sleep. I left note for maid to please change the sheets so she wouldn't get in trouble. When I returned that evening sheets had not been changed so I called front desk and informed them they apologized and offered to come change sheets. The next mornng spoke to head housekeeper and she assurred me the maid responsible, who was foreign and couldn't read English she said, would be talked too. I spoke also to manager she did compensate me. The tub also was lacking in cleanliness. Think they want their guest happy with clean room but need to check their maids work more closely. The shower was wonderful, breakfast was adequate, front desk very friendly, good value with great location. Just if you run into same cleanliness problem as I did notify front desk right away no use in trying to communicate with maid to save her from getting in trouble.

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed 16 August 2012

This hotel is in downtown Custer. we were on the second floor and had to lug our luggage up the stairs. the outside door closest to our room did not work. the only ice machine was on the first floor and the desk manager was vigilant that you could not get ice for your cooler. Breakfast was nothing special, so our second morning we went to Baker's Bakery and Cafe down the street. also Cattleman's Steak House is 2 blocks away.

Room Tip: Get a downstairs room if you can't haul your luggage upstairs.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Well, stayed here during a road trip - its a useful staging post for seeing Mt Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument (both close by). The motel is fine - clean, with friendly staff, free wi-fi, and reasonable breakfast (though breakfast room is small). Its on the main street, and Custer feels very much like a frontier town, though I suspect it is made to look this way on purpose :)

Good price, and very convenient location, I'd recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the back - the main street of Custer gets busy, and can be noisy first thing...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 August 2012 via mobile

My family stayed here for two nights while visiting rushmore, crazy horse, and custer state park. Close to restaurants and shopping. Breakfast was decent, but nothing to brag about. We always get upstairs rooms, in case rude travelers let their kids run laps around their rooms. For the price, I don't think you can lose.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 3 August 2012

This hotel was a great find.
Although not 4 Seasons or the Ritz it offers very good accomodations for a fair and reasonable price.
Staff is very personable
Room was clean and all in good order
Pool was fun for the children
Breakfast had something hot and fresh fruit every day of our 3 day stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed here in July, traveling with my teenage sons for a few days in the Black Hills. The hotel is a bit dated, but the pool is great, the rooms are clean and they do have a nice continental breakfast in the AM. The only thing I can add to this is that, the parking is limited (had to park at the park across the street twice) and the breakfast area in the AM is a bit cramped. There's lots of restaurants/shops within walking distance and plenty to do, so you won't be spending your day at this hotel, you'll be seeing the sights!

Room Tip: Get the Jacuzzi Room, it was a nice after a day of sightseeing!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed in the Econo Lodge for one night while traveling through the Custer area. It was clean, the AC worked great and everything was good. The breakfast was incredible. They had french toast, eggs with vegetables, cheese and meat in them, plus the usual other items. The pool area was small and the pool was a little bit cool (according to my kids). All in all I would stay here again while in the area. It was convenient for touring the Sylvan Lake, Harney Peak attractions and had many hotels to choose from.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Comfort Inn & Suites Custer
#18 of 18 in Custer
Best Western Golden Spike Inn & Suites
Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites
Baymont Inn & Suites Hot Springs

Been to Econo Lodge Custer? Share your experiences!